Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Repairs are finally done (Read 208 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Repairs are finally done
06/03/11 at 07:51:04

Yes I took it in for the head gasket, carb repair and new tires. Awesome work. He got the mixture screw out and boiled out the carb. No more running cold problems. There definately was some blockage internally, behind that screw. And he found some weird things going on inside the motor too, from when I had the clutch done 3 years ago. One of the cam chain guides was in backwards? and some dowel pin was missing and filled in with glue. Unbelievable the difference in how it runs now. Plus he cleaned the whole motor and trans up real nice. Looks like new almost. I think I got my moneys worth. Now for the forward controls.....

Huh

« Last Edit: 06/03/11 at 17:41:34 by drums1 »  
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: Repairs are finally done
Reply #1 - 06/03/11 at 12:33:19

Glad to hear it!

IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #2 - 06/03/11 at 15:19:31

Right on... beware of some comments of people puffaw'ing your use of a mechanic... I do as well sometimes. Nothing wrong with it IMHO.

Now ride it!

Cheers,

Ian (Morgii)

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 06/03/11 at 17:37:30

Ya, I debated doing the work myself, but I lacked the tools to do what needed to be done. And having never been that deep into it, I didn't want to chance screwing something up and not being able to ride again this year. As it was he had to pull the motor---previous work done on motor--dude used locktight on the head bolts. And I never would have caught the things he did, internally. Not to mention the carb. I tried getting that screw out for the last year.  
So, I had some extra money from a settlement, I figured what the heck. Get it done, and get it done right. I'm riding, that's what counts.

Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/03/11 at 18:36:00

I am not real sure I could keep myself from either visiting the earlier shop or at least calling & talking to the OWNER.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/03/11 at 22:39:54

I do a lot of my own work,... on my bike, and for others,... ...but, I do have a go-to guy that I will call on when I'm over my head...
Same with my car, and my house..
Sounds like you might have found one for yourself...
Cherish an honest, knowledgeable,... go-to guy... Wink...

Many happy miles... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 06/04/11 at 04:22:07

Nothing wrong with taking it to a good independent and letting him do the work. I do the same thing with late model (post-73) American cars and trucks and ANY import vehicles. I'll do the easy stuff, let someone else monkey with engine/trans guts, computerized engine systems, etc.

I love messing with vintage stuff or customizing whatever I can get my hands on. Spinning wrenches on something I have to actually rely on in traffic? Forget it, not interested.

I don't even own a torque wrench anymore.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/04/11 at 08:34:45

Ya Justin I would have called out the original shop but they are no longer in business. Thank God. The guy I went to is at the dealer in next town over from me. An older guy who knows Savages very well. He's my new go-to guy. The easier stuff I usually do myself. The 3 main things I had done were over my head kinda stuff.

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #8 - 06/06/11 at 09:26:15

It's good to know one's limitations!  I do a lot of wrenching on all our vehicles and home improvements / renovations, but there are tasks I won't do and better left up to a professional.  Otherwise it just ends up there in the end only with busted knuckles, bolts, and my pride.   Undecided  Key is finding that good "go-to-guy"!

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/06/11 at 22:09:15

drums1 wrote on 06/04/11 at 08:34:45:
Ya Justin I would have called out the original shop but they are no longer in business. Thank God. The guy I went to is at the dealer in next town over from me. An older guy who knows Savages very well. He's my new go-to guy. The easier stuff I usually do myself. The 3 main things I had done were over my head kinda stuff.

they are no longer in business.

Surprise, surprise, surprise..

Glad youve found someone you trust.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 06/06/11 at 23:47:43

Drums, great to have you back.. Hope you are
now able to add many, many miles to your bike..
Have you posted recent pics of your bike? Smiley kim

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 06/08/11 at 15:29:32

I'm waiting to get the forward controls on, then some pics. I still need to work on the handlebars too. I am not happy with where they sit. Too darn close to me. I need to find some risers with a forward shift.  And I need a front brake rotor yet, too. Mine is warped bad. Then it will be complete.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:29:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Repairs are finally done

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.