arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: EMGO Slip-on Exhaust
Reply #30 - 06/18/11 at 05:07:40

Stock is 145 over 52.5.
I agree that 155 over 55 would be the place to start.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
sscala

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #31 - 06/18/11 at 08:57:28

bill67 wrote on 06/17/11 at 13:35:38:
If your jets are stock go up 2 on the high speed and 1 on low speed jets,Just take off the fuel bowl and there up in there,Then replace the screws with American Phillip screws,To make it easier to take off if you need to take then off.

Are there pictures showing how to do this?  What do you mean go up 2?

Thanks!!  Man, this stuff is confusing the new guy  Huh

Stephen
2011 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #32 - 06/18/11 at 09:23:52

It's not hard to do man, 4 phillips head screws on the float bowl (Bottom of the carb, just in front of your battery) might take a little finagling to get it to clear the battery.  Although step 1 would be to see if you have a hex bolt in the middle of the bowl, if so, I would pull that bolt out and drain the bowl into a, well, a bowl...lol
So, drain the float bowl first, then unscrew the 4 brass screws in the corners (use a JIS screwdriver or push up very firmly, replace with steel or stainless american screws if you can).  There will be a couple things that you see when you drop that bowl...you'll see a float and 2 "towers".  The skinny one is where the pilot jet lives, the fatter one is where the main jet lives.  You'll need a regular (straight) screwdriver to pull them out, they unscrew counter-clockwise.  Catch them when they're loose, easy to lose them  Wink
When you look at them really closely, you should be able to see the size of them stamped in.  My eyes are pretty bad, but I can see them no problem when the light is good.  If the main jet is a 145, go up two would bring you to a 155 (although my shop here sells them in 2.5 increments?)....the pilot jet, if it is a 52.5, go up 1 size to a 55.
Just an FYI:  Pilot jet is the low throttle jet, main jet would be the high throttle jet.
And this is a great post, regarding the carb...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

delucaja   IP Logged
sscala

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #33 - 06/20/11 at 19:09:28

Cool!! Can anyone recommend a specific Jetkit?

Stephen
2011 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #34 - 06/21/11 at 06:14:45

What part of NY are you in?
I was down by NYC last week in NJ, and hit the Motorcycle Mall in Belleville, NJ....They had an awful selection of jets, and I was hardpressed to find someone in there that knew what I was talking about...
If you have a dealer nearby, they generally carry a selection.  I picked up some jets a couple weeks ago here in MA for like $3 a jet at Bettencourts, a local Suzuki dealer.  I think others have had success online, but I've heard that Lancer on here has a good kit...

delucaja   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #35 - 06/21/11 at 07:51:30

Most bike shops should have a selection of jets for a Mikuni carb. When I did mine this weekend I took out the stock ones (2005 S40 - Main was 145 & Pilot was 52.5) and took them with me to be sure the new ones would match up.  They're only around $3 each most places I've seen, so it's worth picking up a few different ones to try. Personally I picked up a couple Mains (147.5 & 155 - was going to try 150 but they were sold out of that one) and a couple Pilots (55 & 60 - all the pilots they had were with bleed holes, but I don't think it's a significant difference either way).

Here's a pic of the jets so you know which ones you are looking for (I boogered up the head on the stock Pilot trying to remove it)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #36 - 06/21/11 at 16:27:31

Even Harley Davidson has the right jets, just ask for small round Mikuni jets. Late series Evos and many Sportsters used Mikuni carbs. Some had round jets, some had hex jets. They are NOT interchangeable.

No wonder late model S40s are so gutless compared to the older Savages, the Savages had too little jets to start with.

What's next, smog crap on all of them? Washington was going to start allowing only California spec sales in 2011, don't know if it happened or not.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
sscala

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #37 - 06/27/11 at 07:38:00

Went for a ride yesterday.  The trip was about 150 miles round-trip and parts of the pipe turned colors.  It looks burnt in some areas.  What to do?!?!

Stephen
2011 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #38 - 06/27/11 at 16:36:31

Gold don't worry about. Blue or purple it is still too lean. If it is at the muffler, roughly where the guts are welded in, welcome to the wonder world of Taiwanese parts. Nothing much will help if the guts are acting as heat sinks.

There is a reason my cheap muffler and tail pipe extension are flat black BBQ paint...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #39 - 06/27/11 at 19:45:52

sscala wrote on 06/27/11 at 07:38:00:
Went for a ride yesterday.  The trip was about 150 miles round-trip and parts of the pipe turned colors.  It looks burnt in some areas.  What to do?!?!

Look up the "white spacer mod" and do that, if you haven't already.  Don't  spend big bucks on a jet kit.  If your local bike shop doesn't have a similar jet a size or two larger, order one from motorcyclecarbs or jetsRus.  I would not even fool with the pilot jet unless the bike is requiring too much choke for too long (cold blooded).

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:29:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › EMGO Slip-on Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.