Send Topic Print
need some help (Read 418 times)
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

need some help
06/02/11 at 17:28:25

my friend finally dropped her bike off (1998 650) at my house and I immediately went to town on it.  pulled the carbs and tore the whole thing apart and ultra sonic cleaned them.  I noticed the float was dented and bent, I told her that it needed to be replaced but for $ purposes I bent it back and put it back in to see if the motor would run anyway.  So I got everything buttoned back up and she fired up, but died again.  I did this several times until I caught it and gave it some throttle.  It sounded pretty decent, but if I closed the throttle it would die, with or without choke.  After holding the throttle at the lowest point I could without killing it for awhile I noticed that the engine itself by the exhaust was smoking a bit and shortly after it started popping.  I pulled the spark plug and the gap looked a little too big so I adjusted it but the color of it was actually perfect lol.  I'm about to pull the carb again and check float height but the gas isn't leaking out the airbox or anything. I let it sit for a few hours last night and tried to start it again and it wouldn't start.  Petcock works properly, new gas was put in it, I put a inline fuel filter.  I'm stumped anybody have an idea or place to start?

I do want to make a note that at some point somebody tried to fix the head gasket because there is that silicone stuff for a seal.  What would cause  the  bike not to idle but still run.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: need some help
Reply #1 - 06/02/11 at 18:46:05

no idle is most likely a clogged idle jet.
what is the idle mixture screw adjusted to?

smoke? what color?

WWW   IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/02/11 at 19:04:08

I'm going to pull the carb apart again tonight and go over it again but, i'm pretty positive that I got everything on the carb.  I couldn't find where exactly it says number of turns for the idle adjustment screw in the manual, so I went based off of what my Mikuni BS34's called for which was 3 full turns once the screw touches.  I mean when I said in my earlier post that I had to hold the throttle, I mean would only stay on at 1/4 turn of the throttle.

The smoke was blackish...which could be some carbon being burn't off the exhaust.  Something tells me I'm running super lean. Dunno tho

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/02/11 at 19:22:57

black smoke is rich...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/02/11 at 19:42:59

Serowbot wrote on 06/02/11 at 19:22:57:
black smoke is rich...

+1

And we start with 2 full turns then tune it.
at 3 turns we go to the next size up.
and generally at 3 turns, that screw will vibrate out.

WWW   IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/02/11 at 20:35:21

It's not smoking out of the exhaust  its smoking from the head where the exhaust meets the head.  As far as I know this is a completely stock motor, the jets are in really good shape and I shouldn't have to go up in size unless there is a problem elsewhere.  Maybe idle screw adjustment from the mikuni bs34 is different.  To adjust u bottom the screw out completely then back it out 2 full turns...am I correct

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/02/11 at 21:07:02

cootersandwich wrote on 06/02/11 at 20:35:21:
It's not smoking out of the exhaust  its smoking from the head where the exhaust meets the head.

Info we coulda used up front, check the header bolts, if they are loose it'll leak and backfire.  ignore the smoke otherwise.
Quote:
 As far as I know this is a completely stock motor, the jets are in really good shape and I shouldn't have to go up in size unless there is a problem elsewhere.  Maybe idle screw adjustment from the mikuni bs34 is different.  To adjust u bottom the screw out completely then back it out 2 full turns...am I correct

yep
Quote:
Something tells me I'm running super lean.

poke your head in there and tell what the main jet is.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 06/03/11 at 12:07:47

"I do want to make a note that at some point somebody tried to fix the head gasket because there is that silicone stuff for a seal.  What would cause  the  bike not to idle but still run."

If this is the head cover you're referring to then it's supposed to have RTV gasket stuff there. Have you checked the compression on it? Could be they didn't seal it well and your getting a leak there...maybe causing the smoke from the header??? Just a guess...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/03/11 at 13:41:28

I haven't checked compression yet because I don't have the tool to do so.

"Could be they didn't seal it well and your getting a leak there...maybe causing the smoke from the header???"

see I was thinking this but I didn't say anything, I won't really know until I get the carb problem figured out.

As far as the main jet size, I guess I'm not to sure how to tell.  Would it have it's markings on the side?

I noticed a couple things right away when I pulled the carb last night which might be causing the issue.  #1 being the float needle was catching a little bit wasn't very smooth.  #2 being float height, it didn't look right. I'm going to fix the float needle and measure the float height and see if it works.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/03/11 at 13:50:48

Clean the engine well and look for leaks.

float height is easy enough if your carb has a drain nipple.
attach a clear tube to it and run it up along side the carb.
open the drain and set it to prime
gas should come up to the bowl gasket with the bike vertical.

WWW   IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/09/11 at 20:51:25

Alright finally an update, its been nasty out all week. Floats are right, peacock appears to be  working correctly everything seems good to go but I can't get the bike started now.  I put the battery on the trickle charger for like 4 days then took it off and let sit overnight then when I tried cracking it it just drained the battery.  I put my volt meter on it and it read around 12.15 then when I tried cranking it it dropped below 7 and was bouncing around 11 to 7 to 9 when I stopped it was just below 12...  this to me is very odd because the battery was new a year ago and the bike hadn't ran or anything since it was installed.  I filled the battery up with distilled water to the full markings.  Could the battery be bad?  If its nice out tomorrow ill try to jump it with my bike but for now I have the rickle charger connected.  Also I have another trick  charger by die-hard which has a 2 amp charger 10 amp charger and a 50 amp starter. Could the 50 amp starter be used to start the bike or would this be too much for it to handle.  Also where is the fuse box I looked around but couldn't find it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/09/11 at 21:36:15

Sounds to me that you have an issue with the starter.
Volts shouldn't be jumping around like that.

WWW   IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/13/11 at 13:43:57

So I hooked up a jump pack to the bike after I replaced the spark plug and still wouldn't turn over.  I'm currently trying to test the starter solnoid but getting at it seems to be an issue by itself does anybody have any advise as to how to get it out?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/13/11 at 14:35:02

Set a fan up to blow on it if youre gonna mess wih it much not moving.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 06/13/11 at 16:33:43

Solenoid is nearly bullet proof. However, that 10 cent piece of $hit ignition relay that costs $61 and change is fragile. Mine ate 3 batteries last year. Charges great, discharges through that junk relay even better.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:27:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need some help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.