Send Topic Print
need some help (Read 418 times)
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: need some help
Reply #15 - 06/13/11 at 16:56:56

I still haven't figured out how to remove it so I can test it with my mulimeter.  I just want to rule it out.  I'll have to test the ignition relay to see if that might be it.

IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/13/11 at 18:18:25

ok, this is strange. I had the battery on the trickle charger again for the past like 3 days, when I pulled the bike out checked the volts and the battery read 13.09 which was good so I figure I'd try to start it, and it darn near turned over the first time which was exciting, but I still couldn't get it to turn over.  Checked the battery volts and it dropped to 12.30, tried it again and it dropped to 11.68 volts.  I figured out that I have a problem with my portable jump pack because the volts only read 12.58 when fully charged which aparently isn't enough to turn the bike over.

I have a Die Hard 12v Battery charger that has 3 different settings

2 amp trickle charge
10 amp charge
50 amp Engine Start

My question is to whether or not I could try and start the bike on the engine start mode.  When I connected it to the battery in Engine Start mode the Volts read 14.30.....Would that be to high for the bike?  Would it damage it if I tried to start it?

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #17 - 06/13/11 at 19:14:09

Pretty sure that 14.3 VDC wouldn't hurt anything in a 12 VDC system.  Keep in mind that the 50 A setting just means the charger is capable of delivering up to 50 A, Doesn't mean that 50 A will be delivered the entire time it's connected...  Wink
In all honesty though, the 10 A setting wight be sufficient, I don't think that the starter on our thumper's would draw 10 A...but then again, I've never thrown an ammeter on my battery wires when cranking...lol
Sounds like the battery might be shot if it's dropping that much with minimal rebound.

delucaja   IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 06/14/11 at 13:27:56

I connected it and it reved up a little then died immediately, wouldn't start after that so I put the bike away out of disgust went back like 4 hours later and with nothing else connected but the batter o got it to rev up again and die.  Also when I say it revved. Up I mean to like 500-1000 rpms.  I'm about to give in and go buy a compression tester to see if the problem is mechanical or electrical.  

Also when u say the ignition relay what piece are u talking about because I always thought the starter relay solnoid and the ignition relay were the same thing.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 06/14/11 at 14:39:21

I'd say because it started, it's not electrical or compression.

I'd say it's fuel.

If you fill up the bowl, it should run a couple of minutes on that alone.

Sounds like you got a dribble of gas and as soon as it's gone it quits.

WWW   IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/14/11 at 16:24:20

I've actually drained the bowls like 3 times to make sure that there's fuel getting in there, which there is.  I also put the petcock on prime and let it drain for like 10 seconds to make sure the line was clear.  I put an inline fuel filter in it just in case.  There is 1 thing that I did which I'm almost regretting now is that I bought a bottle of Lucas Upper Cylinder and Injectors Cleaner, a fuel additive that's supposed to clean carbs the way seafoam works.  This was my first time using it and I poured half the bottle in with 1.5 gallons of fuel. After thinking about it, I was able to get the bike to fire up before I put the fuel treatment in there...I'm going to test the compression because the head gasket looks fudged up to me.  I'm going to put some fresh gas and drain out the stuff with the additive and see if it runs.  I'm crossing my fingers

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 06/14/11 at 18:28:50

remember car tanks are much bigger, you gotta use about 1/8 of the usual dose for the savage.

WWW   IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/14/11 at 18:38:43

Hahaha my bad, I kinda got carried away.  I took the carb off again so I can clean it again.  The spark was good and I couldn't test compression because my adapters didn't fit.  As for the gas, I haven't made it there yet.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #23 - 06/14/11 at 20:32:44

If it ran earlier, it's doubtful you blew a ring...I'd try replacing the gas, just put it in a 5 gallon gascan and mix it with some fresh stuff, at least that will dilute the additive almost to the point of usefullness...

delucaja   IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/17/11 at 13:10:09

Ok so I pulled the carb again, blasted it with carb cleaner, drained the fuel with additive in it and put some fresh gas in, brand new ngk spark plug, new fuel lines.  

Still can't get this POS to run.  I took the airbox off so I could spray some starter fluid in there and got it to turn over several times but it would not fun on her own.  a whiteish mist seemed to come shooting out of the side of the exhaust, when I was trying to start it.  It happened only once.

As far as the bike is concerned I know it has a leak in the head gasket somewhere and exhaust.  Unfortunately if this is what is causing the bike NOT to run then there is nothing I can do for her.  

any final thoughts

IP Logged
cootersandwich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/17/11 at 19:43:58

hey guys, I sprayed a couple squirts of starter fluid in carb, and somehow got it running.  I still can't get it to idle, I actually screwed the idle adjustment screw all the way in and it still won't idle.  I somehow managed to take it for a short ride around the block.   This thing has more problems than what it's worth, I can tell based off the way it drove that it will probably need a engine rebuild which is not in her budget.   Unfortunately she has already pulled the trigger and told me she is going to sell her bike.  

I wanted to thank everybody for your help with this, I really appreciated it.

this is a good forum and I'm sure I will be back on sometime.

cheers

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:19:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need some help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.