Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bad gas leak from carburetor (Read 107 times)
Jbraunstein
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bad gas leak from carburetor
06/02/11 at 07:43:57

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue that seems serious.  Filled up my gas tank last night.  Started my bike up this morning and everything sounded good for about 10 secs, after which point fuel started to spurt out of that little gold plug on the left side of the carburetor at a rapid rate!  I stopped getting throttle response and the engine sputtered out.

I checked the valve setting and it was properly set to "on", pointing straight down.  I tried starting it up again and the same thing happened after a few seconds--carb seemed to flood with gas and then leak all over the darn place.  However, I turned the fuel valve to reserve just for the hell of it, and the problem went away immediately.  No sputtering, no leaking, smooth idle.

Is this a dreaded petcock problem?  Is my fuel valve messed up and not reflecting the settings properly?  (it seemed as if this is exactly what would happen if the valve setting was on "prime", even though it wasn't).  Is it the vacuum line?

I'm able to ride alright on RES for the time being but I'm afraid to put it back to normal, if the valve happens to be stuck or clogged.  Is there an easy way to troubleshoot this?

I'm also worried about all the gas that leaked into whatever part of the engine thats right below the float bowl of the carb.  Should I be worried about this?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Jbraunstein
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bad gas leak from carburetor
Reply #1 - 06/02/11 at 08:36:45

In searching, I ran across this thread:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1303154366/3#3

Maybe when i filled up the tank I churned up some sediment in there and that's causing the needle to stick, or maybe clogging the main fuel port?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/02/11 at 08:43:01

Odd,... switching to reserve shouldn't make any difference...
Coincidence?...
Otherwise,... sounds like a stuck float or dirty needle seat.
I'd pull the float bowl and clean in there,... probably drain the tank and clean the petcock screen too...

Because the leaking occurs only when the engine is running,... this does not sound like the usual petcock problem...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jbraunstein
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/02/11 at 12:13:18

Better performance after switching to reserve is probably a coincidence (unless the valve mechanism is out of whack--no reason to believe this is the case);

I doubt the fact that this is the second time a problem has manifested right after I gas up, is a coincidence.  

I really don't want to take apart the carb just yet  Embarrassed

I'll be picking up some Seafoam today to see if that makes a difference...

IP Logged
Jbraunstein
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/03/11 at 07:02:48

No more gas squirting out the carb vents...must have been a one time/intermittent thing...float needle probably got stuck temporarily.

Added about 4 oz of sea foam to the tank yesterday...still too soon to feel a significant difference but my idle seems a little higher.

I swear if I ever get another bike, it will have fuel injection...worrying that my bike is going to stall out for mysterious reasons at any given time kinda takes some of the fun out of riding.   Tongue

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 06/03/11 at 07:17:05

Clean the tank, clean the carb, install a little fuel filter, and you won't have to worry about stalling,.....or flooding out.

Fuel injection won't tolerate dirt either, and then you'd be into a lot more expense !

If you don't do nothing else, drain the carb bowl into a clear glass bottle,.....see what come out. Then install a little inline fuel filter.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:30:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad gas leak from carburetor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.