Send Topic Print
How low can I lean? (Read 575 times)
DVnewrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How low can I lean?
06/01/11 at 15:54:46

I have a nice running 02 LS650P, and as my brazen nature has been emerging as I'm getting more comfortable riding, I find myself wondering how low can I lean. I know that prob breaks down into tire size and pressure, speed, arc degree of turn, weight...etc.  

My Question: Does reference material exist to address this curiosity, so I may enjoy faster...but safer Smiley lean angles on mod to high speed turns?

Thanks as always. Great forum

-dv

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: How low can I lean?
Reply #1 - 06/01/11 at 16:44:21

You can lean till the pegs scrape, after that you've on your own.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 06/01/11 at 16:49:26

verslagen1 wrote on 06/01/11 at 16:44:21:
You can lean till the pegs scrape, after that you've on your own.   Cool

Exactly!  We got lots of peg scrapers around here...   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
DVnewrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/01/11 at 17:35:15

Ok so given a normal asphalt road, I can take a relatively sharp turn at whatever speed I can handle, and as long as the pegs don't scrape, I wont have to worry about the bottom sliding out on me?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 06/01/11 at 17:43:49

"Shouldn't" come out from under you...  but I would guess that would depend on your weight, tires, all that stuff you mention in the initial post....  Find a good banked curve and gradually take it faster and faster....  Geez, I can't believe I'm giving that advice.  But if you contemplating how far, that seems to be the best way to try it...   Lips Sealed

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #5 - 06/01/11 at 18:14:21

"reference materials" - come on

The Savage is a cruiser and you can't lean it as much as a sportbike without grinding down the cap nut under the right peg.   I looked around to replace it (without checking a dealership) but these gigantic cap nuts are not easy to find.  I wouldn't care except now I'm grinding the stud too.

It makes the pegs look ratty which is OK - easy to find.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
DVnewrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/01/11 at 19:36:03

Thanks for the info.  I suppose that if official "reference materials" do not exist than one would only need to verse oneself in gyroscopic physics, as they apply to the ride variables (road, weight, tire size, speed..etc). This to me appears to be a practical tool. Ei: 350lb bike, 180lb Rider, a moderately tight "S" curve and the variable X indicating the maximum speed allowed in order to maintain grip fidelity.  Savvy?  I just want to have some idea of how fast I can approach a curve without losing my @ss.

My pegs look brandnew..??   haha

IP Logged
DVnewrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/01/11 at 19:40:16

Thanks bhog, that's usually my initial approach to most things like this.

And no worries...was good advice.  Thx

-dv

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 06/01/11 at 19:44:59

Yes, as those above have mentioned, you can lean a Savage over until it scrapes.  

If you do it rapidly, you might begin to lift a tire, which might cause a UDFS.

If you are leaning it over to where things are scraping, you might also cause a UDFS if you hit some oil or sand or leaves or pine straw or water or other stuff like that there.

If you lean it over often, and scrape it a lot, combined with the occasional UDFS, you can brag about how manly you are and can prove it by all the nubs being gone from your tires, lots of metal ground down on the LS650P, and darker areas of skin on your knees and elbows.

Anyway, this leany-over stuff is lots of fun.  Scrape off lots of metal and tire nubs.  Just be a little mindful of staying on clean, dry pavement.  Think how much cardrivers are missing!

(UDFS = unauthorized departure from Savage)

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
DVnewrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/01/11 at 20:00:43

Interesting point of view.  My interests are in no way related to scraping anything on my 650; it would seem careless to intentionally mess up such a nice bike.

I live in Colorado and HWY 34 goes from Loveland to Estes Park.  Its really quiet an astonishing road, with lots of fun turns to navigate through the Rocky Mountain canyon road.  I just worry that if I apply too much pressure to the grip surface (part of tire in contact with road during turn) and as I said before, assuming normal...clean, asphalt highway every town USA roads... I would like someone to offer up some experiential knowledge of their experiences navigating turns and at what speeds and angles. What cant I do, so i know how far (speed approaching a given arc) I cant take it, not to see how low i can actually go, but how fast I can take a turn without losing grip.

IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Reply #10 - 06/01/11 at 20:20:53

(UDFS = unauthorized departure from Savage)

Ive had that done to me!!1

kfink@aol.com kfink@aol.com   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 06/01/11 at 20:29:08

DVnewrider wrote on 06/01/11 at 20:00:43:
Interesting point of view.  My interests are in no way related to scraping anything on my 650; it would seem careless to intentionally mess up such a nice bike.

I live in Colorado and HWY 34 goes from Loveland to Estes Park.  Its really quiet an astonishing road, with lots of fun turns to navigate through the Rocky Mountain canyon road.  I just worry that if I apply too much pressure to the grip surface (part of tire in contact with road during turn) and as I said before, assuming normal...clean, asphalt highway every town USA roads... I would like someone to offer up some experiential knowledge of their experiences navigating turns and at what speeds and angles. c

It's just physics and geometry.  With decent tires and clean pavement, you have enough friction to lean a stock Savage as far as you want at any speed you want,.... up until you lean so far over that sparks start flying.  That's the limit.

It's not a very great limit.  The Savage was not designed to be GSXR type crotch-rocket canyon-scratcher.  It is a cruiser.  The designers figured you'd just go boppin' down the boulevard keeping pretty much vertical.  Tilt it over more than several degrees and things get ground down.  

You can not, as you said, "apply too much pressure to the grip surface" and cause the tire to slide.  Not on a Savage, anyway.

Speeds don't matter.  It takes the same amount of lateral acceleration to maintain a given lean angle at 5 mph as it does at 50 mph.

You stated, "I would like someone to offer up some experiential knowledge of their experiences navigating turns and at what speeds and angles. What cant I do, so i know how far (speed approaching a given arc) I cant take it, not to see how low i can actually go, but how fast I can take a turn without losing grip."  There aren't any speeds to tell about for given arcs.  You can't lose grip on a Savage by leaning over too far,... unless, of course, you start dragging things.

You can learn a lot by finding some large area of unoccupied pavement, and find out what it is like to lean it over at various speeds until you hit the limit,.. sparks.  Try various speeds to see what the sensations are like when you hit that limit.  It'll feel different at 20mph compared to 60mph, and the turn radii will differ, but the lean angles will be the same.

Happy scraping!!

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/01/11 at 21:53:32

Learn to lean your body... Most people lean the bike, and keep their body vertical...
It's almost counter-intuitive,... but, the more you lean your body into a turn, the less you lean the bike... and the faster you can corner without dragging anything..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 06/02/11 at 05:38:23

Maybe AL will get some videos of some scraping on the Dragon later this month!

IP Logged
kernel ken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loveland Ohio
Reply #14 - 06/02/11 at 06:11:57

I suggest that while going through this learning experience you wear full riding gear. By that I mean helmet, gloves, riding jacket, riding pants and boots. It's a lot easier to replace a scuffed up jacket or helmet than replace layers of skin or mend broken bones.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:16:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How low can I lean?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.