Send Topic Print
How low can I lean? (Read 575 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: How low can I lean?
Reply #15 - 06/02/11 at 06:19:51

Took me a long time to stop getting a Jump in my Guts when a peg touched down. The acorn nuts that hold the peg mounts, the ones that go on the bolts that run thru the motor mounts, are ground down some. Ive never low sided it on asphalt. Wet grass, OTTOH, has had me layin it down several times.. Ive even had to tie the rubber together under one peg, cuz it was cut so bad it was coming off. Yes, you can drag pegs, but thats not all ya need to do to be fast thru a turn. As the Rowboat said,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #16 - 06/02/11 at 08:33:38

Do you really want to know what the cornering limits of you and your bike are? Try a track day. In these parts we have Tony's Track Days at the track in New Hampshire (http://www.tonystrackdays.com/). All bikes and rider experience are welcome. There's presentations and coaching and a full day of going around the track in a controlled setting. I may try it sometime.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #17 - 06/02/11 at 09:50:56

DVnewrider, I too live in Colorado...here's the thing, you can do lots of canyon cruising on this bike. I've taken mine on some real twisty twisties..it's fun and I've leaned it over to the point wear I get kinda freaked out. I'd start out leaning it at speed where you can feel comfortable about holding your line through the turn.

What I've noticed is that the turns around here just keep going...almost corkscrewlike...just make sure you hold your line and don't drift into oncoming traffic (guy on a harley almost took out a friend of mine cuz he was drifting out of his lane!). The other thing to remember is the blind turns that have boulders, sand, gravel or moose around them are not very forgiving of high speed entry... Wink

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #18 - 06/02/11 at 10:10:35

Hi DV and welcome!

I know (very well) the stretch of road (Big Thompson Canyon) you are referring as I have lived in the immediate area for over 25 years.  

While I have yet to ride my Savage to Estes, I have taken the trip numerous times with previous bikes, of which the last was my '96 Intruder VL1500.  My experiences for the road have been mixed mainly due to the amount of traffic traveling both ways especially during the summer (tourist) season.

Personally, I have found that trying ride that fast ( for hard leans) in that roads tight curves to be counter productive because you are always hitting your brakes to avoid rear ending the car in front of you.

I would just relax, cruise, and enjoy the tremendous views of the canyon walls at your shoulders.  Plus you have the ability to blow the doors off any "cagers" in the short passing zones!  But that's just me.  

Whatever you decide, be safe, stay sharp, and watch out for the other guy at all times!  In the narrows, your only escape route is over the railing and 20-30ft down to the river!

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 06/02/11 at 10:15:10

One tip,...
Enter a turn a little slower than you think,.. then accelerate through the turn...  You have more control accelerating, than decelerating...
Plus you will have a stronger exit speed... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 06/02/11 at 10:40:50

DV when you find out how far it will lean and get out of the hospital let us know how far you had it leaned.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 06/02/11 at 10:55:24

bill67 wrote on 06/02/11 at 10:40:50:
DV when you find out how far it will lean and get out of the hospital let us know how far you had it leaned.

That would be,.. all the way... Huh...

IP Logged
Africord
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 06/02/11 at 11:53:01

Okay, I'm missing something.  I thought owning a Savage/Boulevard was about crusing, looking cool, and taking easy rides through the countryside.  I joined this site because my wife has an 02 Savage and I need to take care of it.  Are you guys connected to the canyon carvers over at VFRD?  That's my other hangout to support my sport touring addiction in the form of a 02 VFR800.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 06/02/11 at 12:07:18

Na,.. I'm a putter...
...but, every once in a while, I get a bug up my butt...  Huh...

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #24 - 06/02/11 at 12:11:20

Lots of good info in this thread.

Remember your Apex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOmyWRx8wfE

he has lots of other great rider vids.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #25 - 06/02/11 at 12:13:38

Same here... bugs up the butt are the chances ya take riding these things!  Grin

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #26 - 06/02/11 at 12:58:11

Friend of mine bragged about draggin the pegs on his larger Suzuki last year. Than one day I see him all scraped up. The peg caught just right and flipped him over, errr, under. Truck behind him stopped just in time.

It's good to have fun, just be careful doing so. Smiley

I just said that? I must be getting old. :\

07 S40
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 06/02/11 at 14:14:28

The savage can achieve respectable lean angles for a cruiser. When I take off- and on-ramps, when riding with my buddy, I can smoke him easily on the outside. He has a C50, and his foot boards would have slammed the tarmac if he tried the same. The only thing you have to watch for is dips and bumps, besides dirt on the road when doing that, as the bike seems to be a bit underdamped and gets very light on the front when it hits a dip when leaning low. Gets a tad scary at times then.

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #28 - 06/02/11 at 16:45:52

My Ryca kit arrives next Tuesday. When I get that put together with the elevated rearsets instead of those stupid forward controls I'll see what it can do. I suspect the bike's max lean angle will be greater than the rider's max lean angle.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #29 - 06/02/11 at 17:59:38

BuckRYCA wrote on 06/02/11 at 16:45:52:
My Ryca kit arrives next Tuesday. When I get that put together with the elevated rearsets instead of those stupid forward controls I'll see what it can do. I suspect the bike's max lean angle will be greater than the rider's max lean angle.

Grin Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:24:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How low can I lean?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.