Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My Savage is not getting gas (Read 182 times)
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
My Savage is not getting gas
05/31/11 at 13:17:12

Hi! I'm brand new here so please excuse any newbie mistakes I may make. Smiley We have 2 Savages. Mine is a '98 and my husband's is an '03.  We have had them for about 5 years and never had any real problems with them. Yesterday we took them on a longer ride and they both started acting up. Sputtering and then cutting out. We had just filled them up so it wasn't an empty tank. Yes I remembered to take it off reserve. WinkIt got especially bad trying to go uphill. Mine died out twice and my husband's died once. We figured it was just b/c we had run them low on gas and there was some sediment floating around. Once it got settled back down they would be ok. We managed to get home and parked them for the night. In looking online as to what the problem could be, we came across this site. We decided to add an inline fuel filter to filter out any gunk that might be the problem. He got mine done and we took them out for a ride. It is still chugging and sputtering and dying. In fact it completely died out and left me stranded. At first there was fuel going through the filter (we got a clear one so we could see it) but after a couple of miles, it was bone dry. It's like the gas isn't flowing like it should. His bike was sputtering but not as bad as mine. I couldn't even get mine to start back up today. Angry He is thinking that we need to tear the carb apart and clean it and also clean the petcock and change the oil and oil filter and air filter. To take it somewhere to have it done will be about $300. Does anyone have an opinion on what the problem could be? He called the repair place and asked if it could be the petcock and they told him that you never need to clean the petcock and that it isn't that but I have read a lot of posts on here that say you DO need to clean and/or completely change it. I am a little leery about taking it to them. The carb was tore apart and cleaned about 2 years ago (someone different than the repair place).

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Re: My Savage is not getting gas
Reply #1 - 05/31/11 at 13:36:49

Hi glad you found us - if it were my two bikes i would start with the Raptor petcock conversion fairly cheap and definitely a do it your self job - I did mine took all of 20 minutes tops - plug the vaccum line off the carb oncce you make the conversion......if it still acts sputtery (new English!) add some Seafoam to the tank to clean the carb...if that does not fix it then you might try the Jetset kit from LANCER a little more involved but tstill a do it yourself job - lastly if all that fails you might need to tear down the carb and clean it last resort - I would also put in a new spark plug.

I am sure you will a lot of good advice on here listen to Verslagen & LANCER especially they know their stuff.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 05/31/11 at 13:54:34

My guess would be either a petcock issue as explained, or loose/cracked vacuum lines (cheap & easy to replace), or some gunk in the carb (try some seafoam in there before tearing it down)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/31/11 at 13:55:25

Well you've been making a mistake for 5 years and you've finally gotten around to fixing it... welcome.   Wink

Sounds like a petcock problem, funny how's it stuck both bikes at the same time.  Serowbot will be along with the test procedure shortly.

But simply which the petcock to prime when it sputters to determine if it's the cause.  Check the vac line for fuel and cracks and such.  Hit the link below and go down to carbs... stock... carb spec's.  for which one is the vac line.

And it can't hurt to put a little seafoam in the tank once in a while.
check the air filter and such.

WWW   IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #4 - 05/31/11 at 14:04:12

If I read correctly they both started giving problems after you filled up?  Possibly just be a bad load of gas.

IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #5 - 05/31/11 at 14:04:54

It sputters and dies no matter where I have the petcock set. I was able to get it started and running for just a little bit (not even a half mile) by switching it around but then it would sputter and die again until it finally died and wouldn't start at all. The husband just tried starting it in the garage and it started (after about 4 tries) and ran for about 1 minute and then it sputtered and died. Bear with me, I am not any kind of mechanically inclined  Embarrassed, are there different sizes of Raptor petcocks? My husband thinks that it is a Yamaha Quad part and was wondering.

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #6 - 05/31/11 at 14:10:56

Suprised no one else has mentioned this, but if it struck both bikes at the same time, right after a fill-up, it's probably bad gas. I'd start with draining and replacing the gas before taking anything apart.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 05/31/11 at 14:14:15

It sure sounds like you got some bad gasoline,I would put some Sea Foam in the gas,Maybe even drain the gas that in there,I have had Suzuki petcocks that look just like the one on the S40,That lasted for years with out any problems.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #8 - 05/31/11 at 14:15:12

After mine did it yesterday, he told me that his had done it about a week ago. It was different gas from completely different places so I don't think it's that, but Thanks for the suggestion. Smiley

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 05/31/11 at 14:25:38

The Raptor is a Yamaha quad as your husband mentioned.

Not sure if it matters what year, but lifted this part # from another thread:

petcock part #  5 Lp-24500-01-00

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #10 - 05/31/11 at 14:29:26

Thanks! We will be looking into getting 2.
He says that it's not bad gas b/c with the clear in-line filter we can see that it's not getting gas.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/31/11 at 14:53:57

Z wrote on 05/31/11 at 14:04:54:
It sputters and dies no matter where I have the petcock set. I was able to get it started and running for just a little bit (not even a half mile) by switching it around but then it would sputter and die again until it finally died and wouldn't start at all. The husband just tried starting it in the garage and it started (after about 4 tries) and ran for about 1 minute and then it sputtered and died.

With it still giving you problems reguardless of the petcock setting... tells me it's not the vac line.  Could be a petcock diaphragm failure though, check the vac line for gas.

And I'd check to see if you have the same problem with the gas cap open.

And then I'd check the petcock filter and the float valve filter.

How many miles on the bikes?

WWW   IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #12 - 05/31/11 at 15:05:05

My bike has 9710.3 miles on it.
Took the gas cap off and it started right up and the inline filter filled up with gas.
The vac line has no gas in it.
It seems the problem is that the gas doesn't flow when the bke is in gear and moving. It will run until the fuel that has accumulated in the inline filter runs out and then it dies.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 05/31/11 at 15:09:00

If it works with the cap off then possibly the vents in the cap are plugged up...somewhere on here there is a guide to cleaning/reassembling that as well.

IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #14 - 05/31/11 at 15:11:46

I don't know if it works with the cap off. It works in the garage but how can I drive it with the gas cap off to see if gas will continue to flow into the filter?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:22:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Savage is not getting gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.