Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
36" Fishtail - Lots of pics - updated 6/17/11 (Read 473 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
36" Fishtail - Lots of pics - updated 6/17/11
05/29/11 at 21:56:47

Alright, I picked up this muff for a song & dance from ebay & just got it installed.

Doesn't appear to have much of a baffle...

Started with a new Exhaust Gasket

Now you know why they call it a crush gasket, old one is significantly narrower than the new one.

Old one measured 3.33mm

New one measured 5.49mm

Installed & waiting for the RED RTV to cure at the 1 joint between the header and the new muffler

I do have a small chrome exhaust shield left to install after the RTV cures & I test for leaks

Looking down the throat of the FISH  Grin

Comparison of the 3 mufflers I have had on this bike since I first got it.
Currently installed 36" Fishtail - Middle Weight
Stock muffler about 23" - Heavy Weight
HD Softail takeoff about 27" including the 7" adapter pipe with a 10o bend - Light Weight

I haven't fired it up yet to see how it sounds, but should be doing it soon. Let me know what you think...

« Last Edit: 06/17/11 at 19:16:55 by EJID »  

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: 36" Fishtail - Lots of pics
Reply #1 - 05/30/11 at 03:50:22

Cool.  BTW, I have the same saddlebags!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/30/11 at 08:29:02

I've got the studded version of that saddlebag.

Muffler looks great. Are you going to add a band clamp around the body or was the rear stud and an extension bracket sufficient?

If that is an Emgo or Motoasia muffler the packing only lasts a couple months...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 05/30/11 at 10:04:48

Thanks for the comments, after the rain stops today I might get a chance to fire it up and see what it sounds like.

Got is so cheap on ebay because the seller didn't know what it was for/the brand or anything. I don't see any markings on it at all so I am just as clueless.

It had a rail mount on the back that I attached a piece of 1 1/8" steel about 12 inches long to attach to the stock mounting bracket.

Don't know how much, if any packing is in it and if it can be repacked. Only has these 2 allen head on the bottom of the muffler by the very end. (rt side of pic)

My only issue with those bags is sometimes the velcro doesn't keep them closed and I notice the lids flapping in the wind. Otherwise they are great.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 05/30/11 at 11:29:44

EJID,
I noticed the velcro on one of my bags is not that sticky anymore.  It is the one that I use 99% of the time, but I have never noticed them flopping.  My bags are installed backwards from yours, the slope is toward the back.  But that is the way the PO installed them.  I never thought about turning them around.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/30/11 at 12:19:07

Velcro craps out, you can get a snap & install or a peg on a strap & run it thru the mating side,, plenty of Close Em Up ideas. IIRC, people were running bags on bikes or horses even, as much as a week or so before they even came up with Velcro.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NameNotInUse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/30/11 at 17:39:02

That's a great looking muffler for the bike. Was it pretty straight forward to install? I love the bags as well, wonder if they'd fit on my 01 Savage.

IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #7 - 05/30/11 at 18:21:32

Awesome pipes!

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 05/31/11 at 12:43:04

NameNotInUse wrote on 05/30/11 at 17:39:02:
That's a great looking muffler for the bike. Was it pretty straight forward to install? I love the bags as well, wonder if they'd fit on my 01 Savage.

It was pretty straight forward considering it was custom & I expected some of the issues.
To make sure I didn't have any exhaust leaks I started by taking the whole header off and installing a new crush casket at the manifold. I had to bend the stock mounting bracket some to help line things up and then cut/drill a piece of 1 1/8" steel for a make-shift bracket extension. After getting all the pieces to line up fairly well, I took it back off, added the Red RTV to the end of the header pipe, waited about 10 min (as directed) then slid it all back together and buttoned things down nice and tight.

Oh, and the bags are big tossover style that is run under the back seat. I had to relocate the signals to get them to fit and these ones are more of a square/rectangle shape so there is no definite front/back slant on them.

IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #9 - 06/01/11 at 06:30:23

The pipe looks very cool man!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 06/01/11 at 07:27:34

Rode it for the first time last night and WOW!!! It shocked me how much louder it is considering it is that much longer. Has a VERY defined pulse from each stroke in the lower RPM range.  Will have to watch myself around the neighborhood. Haven't had a chance to really challenge the performance and monitor the need to change jets just yet, but plan on doing those when I get back from the family vacation next week.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 06/01/11 at 07:36:36

I like it. Looks great on the bike.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #12 - 06/02/11 at 10:41:11

I love the look!  Got me to thinkin' now... not good...  Grin

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: 36" Fishtail - Lots of pics-updated 6/17/11
Reply #13 - 06/17/11 at 19:06:16

Time to rejet
Stock Main in my 2005 is a 145

Stock pilot is a 52.5 - Boogered up the head removing it Sad using a mirror got me confused & I was actually tightening it rather than taking it out. Lucky it didn't get stuck in there worse.

Called my little brother that works @ the Honda shop to see if he can help me out after hours to get some jets...picked these up

Was going to try the 150 instead of the 155, but the head on the 150 he had was almost 2x as thick.

Any recommendations? Running the 36" Fishtail pipe that is mostly unbaffled and a cone filter. My elevation is about 4600' It currently pops and crackles any time I let off the juice & I have made sure there is no exhaust leaks at either the head or the header joints. Tried the "roll-off" test on a section of road that was probably too short to really tell, but it did seem to accelerate when I let it off to 7/8 throttle. Also, when running w/choke 1/2 on I don't have any pops and crackles.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: 36" Fishtail - Lots of pics - updated 6/17/11
Reply #14 - 06/17/11 at 23:28:09

I just came in from finally getting back to the garage to put in the new jets, and I decided to try the 147.5 Main and the 60 Pilot. Readjusted the mix screw to 2 turns out and will have to wait until morning to fire it up. Don't think the kids or the neighbors would appreciate me revving the engine here at midnight. Oh well, hope I can try it out tomorrow.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 19:26:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 36" Fishtail - Lots of pics - updated 6/17/11

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.