Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New to the Forum, just got my 2nd Savage (Read 250 times)
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
New to the Forum, just got my 2nd Savage
05/29/11 at 10:22:59

Hey guys,
I just got my 2nd Savage, I found this site, and it's awesome (the Savage and the site). I got my first one in 1987. Yeah, a little time passed in between. It was the bike I always regretted selling.

This one is a 2001, of course its leaking some oil (my first one did too). My '87 had the coolest handlebars. I remember them being broomsticks, but honestly I'm not positive. Sadly I don't have one picture of it. That was back when cameras had film  Smiley

Anyway, this new(er) one had pullbacks, but I saw some of the mods people were doing to these and decided it was gonna have to have broomsticks. In fact, I think this bike is gonna get a whole new look by the time I'm done, I'm just not sure exactly what yet. I've spent the last few weeks reading tons of posts here, so I tooks pics of what I did and I'll ask my questions in a follow up post.

BTW, I don't have a shop, and my man-cave garage is getting cluttered up with my wife's furniture projects lately. So, I got a little space, a few tools, a little money, and less time to work with.

IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Re: New to the Forum, just got my 2nd Savage
Reply #1 - 05/29/11 at 10:39:03

This is it:

This was the start of the handle bar swap:

These are the new bars. I got them from a blacksmith. Yes, I put them on a plunger to paint/clearcoat them.

The instructions are the forum were a HUGE help - esp. about putting a towel over the tank.

IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #2 - 05/29/11 at 10:57:06

The new bars went on fine, but the screws for the brake and clutch boxes SUCK. I got the two on the clutch, but I ended up running to get a few hex screws for the brake.

The windscreen had to go, so did the front fender. I started out thinking this was gonna end up a bobber, but I gotta admit the saddle bags are too handy. Tools fit right in the little front pockets, and side bags will just hold a 6 pack of beer. Its awesome. Like when they made them, they knew.....

So i have to figure out what this thing is turn into. The bobber may not happen, but I'm liking the idea of flat black on chrome, maybe old school bullet lights. Open to ideas.

IP Logged
OldenGnarley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/29/11 at 11:18:59

so the new handlebars dont hit the tank? How do you like them compared to the stock pullback ones???  Looks good!

IP Logged
OldenGnarley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/29/11 at 11:23:57

and more pictures of the completed job, please ! Cheesy

IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #5 - 05/29/11 at 13:13:58

Hey Gnarley,
More pics on the way. These were cut at 28". 30" felt too wide to me, but to answer your question the controls just barely touch the tank went you turn as far as possible.

Knowing that now, I would have cut them at 29" and it would have been perfect. **Note: I did put the chrome caps back on and that little bit of width might have been enough if I hadn't.

It definitely feels forward and your arms & hands feel it, but I'm not riding long distances at all. I decided the fatigue wasn't enough to worry about before I jumped into it.

I've got front brake line to spare now, as you'll see in the pics I'll send.

Question: When I pulled the throttle off the cable popped out of the little notch that holds it. I noticed when I put it back in that there are two identical notches in there. I went with the one that had all the dirt, but why are there two?

-Derek

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/29/11 at 13:36:10

We've been making risers out of all sorts of things...
3/8" drive 3/4" deep sockets and bmx foot pegs.
Take the stock bolt with you and and just add what ever spacer you use to the end of the stock bolt.
For the 3/8" drive sockets, use a 3/8" bolt so it'll go thru, it's just a smidge smaller than the stock bolt.

for you maybe just a little more clearance is needed...

I'd look for drill stops
and there maybe some other spacers just waiting for you to discover at your local hardware store.

WWW   IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #7 - 05/29/11 at 14:28:12

I saw some posts on that! Even 1" would be plenty, I think. I'll have a look around in the next week or so & report back if I find something.

Anything I should know about that 2nd slot for the throttle cable? Like, I said I went with the one that looked like it had some oil residue (i.e. the used one), but I was wondering why the second one was there.

Thanks,
-d

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/29/11 at 18:21:17

welcome back!
cool bike

keep up the good work

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/30/11 at 07:26:24

SoE wrote on 05/29/11 at 14:28:12:
Anything I should know about that 2nd slot for the throttle cable? Like, I said I went with the one that looked like it had some oil residue (i.e. the used one), but I was wondering why the second one was there.

Well, if you put it back together and it works like it did before w/o adjusting anything... then you got it right.  no worries.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/30/11 at 08:19:20

Suzuki uses a generic 1" plastic throttle sleeve. Savage has one cable, some Hondas and Harleys have 2 cables, one to pull for throttle and a push cable to help close the throttle. All the OEMs get their small parts from the same sources.

Any real hardware store will have the spacers you need.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #11 - 05/30/11 at 09:40:37

Thanks for the info on the throttle, guys.

Gnarley, as promised, a few closer pics. I really need to do these again outside. These aren't as sharp.

Interesting thing I noticed after riding a little and it jogged a memory of riding my 87 Savage -- back in 87. That bike had a tendency to find neutral instead of 2nd unless you really kicked up on it. Since I replaced the bars this one is shifting more like that now and it did not before. I adjusted the clutch cable a little this morning to add some more play and I'm gonna see if it makes any difference. Not a big deal but an interesting change in how it rides.

IP Logged
psi357
YaBB Newbies

Doesn't mater what
you ride, just ride!

Dartmouth, MA
Reply #12 - 05/30/11 at 11:40:50

These close ups show that your controls are the same as my '01 Suzuki Marauder that runs a 2 cable system.  +1 on the answer above  Smiley

IP Logged
NameNotInUse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/30/11 at 17:53:10

I like the look, not sure it'd work for me though but it is slick. I changed my bars and ended up ditching those phillips screws and bought stainless hex. Like you though, and this could just be me, but I didn't miss 2nd ever before changing my bars. Now, I'm a new rider and frankly only rode about 200 miles before I changed up the bars but before the change I never noticed the slip. It really startled me the first time it happened.  I think its done it about 6 times out of the last 30 rides. I just have to remember to kick it up with some force.

Are you planning another mods? One thing I also did was remove the sissy bar but it was a pregnant dog because I couldn't pull out two bolts on either side of the chrome eyebrows (or whatever you call them) for some reason.was yours similar or did you have the bike lifted and the wheel off?

Also, do you know anything about the highway pegs? Is that the oem engine guard?

IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #14 - 05/30/11 at 19:29:19

Yeah that sissy bar was a pita but I got it w a flat low profile ratchet in the fender well. I actually pulled the hwy pegs today bc I wont be using them w the bars so far forward. The turn signals are coming off soon. I found a rear fender and a tank that I can mess w and still have all the stock stuff to put back if I want to later.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 18:27:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to the Forum, just got my 2nd Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.