Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
engine idles, throttle up only produces backfiring (Read 132 times)
bruce177
YaBB Newbies

Scratched Plastic
Riders

Berlin, WI
engine idles, throttle up only produces backfiring
05/28/11 at 13:42:15

I went to gas station, filled up pulled out got on it hard 1st, 2nd, shifted into 3rd and I though it died, blown fuse or something of that nature. So I quickly pulled of the road realized the bike was still running. But only at an idle, give it some throttle just pops and backfires, does not create any power.  Any help would be appreciated

1986 savage, stock header into a pretty opened h-d muffler can. Drilled main jet lol, and a cone filter. Ran awesome before this.

My thoughts ? blown head gasket. It does leak some oil from the left side if you were sitting on it from the fins, although that could be that magic plug you guys speak of

Hard Tail, Chopped Rear Fender, Drag Bars, 09 R1 tail light, 10lb Nitrous Express tank, Flat black forks, fender, signals, led rear signals, H-D sporty opened pipe, Painted spokes
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: engine idles, throttle up only produces backfi
Reply #1 - 05/28/11 at 14:14:52

you didn't put diesel in did you?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/28/11 at 14:25:45

Bad gas?

Ethanol?

Water?

Miles?

Have you check your cam chain?

WWW   IP Logged
bruce177
YaBB Newbies

Scratched Plastic
Riders

Berlin, WI
Reply #3 - 05/28/11 at 14:46:51

Man that must be a common thing for ppl to put diesel in there tanks, lol but know pure 87 from shell 10% ehtanol, ran fine on it for several tanks. Have not checked cam chain, can't be bad gas unless shell from there tank has bad gas in it, fueld up full tank today pulled out hammered on it and then it died. well pretty much idles fine and it will pull the bike around just fine, at an idle, although anything more then that it starts backfiring like insane. doesn't rev up just bang bang.

Hard Tail, Chopped Rear Fender, Drag Bars, 09 R1 tail light, 10lb Nitrous Express tank, Flat black forks, fender, signals, led rear signals, H-D sporty opened pipe, Painted spokes
  IP Logged
bruce177
YaBB Newbies

Scratched Plastic
Riders

Berlin, WI
Reply #4 - 05/28/11 at 14:49:53

The mileage is under 9500

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/28/11 at 15:35:14

Quote:
Man that must be a common thing for ppl to put diesel in there tanks, lol

Always gotta' be suspicious when a problem starts after leaving a gas station...
One guy here, bought gas at a station that accidentally filled their regular with unleaded.
He used the correct pump,.. but they had filled it wrong.
You never know...

Stuck carb slide?... Huh...
I'm leaning away from blown head gasket, 'cause it idles so good...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 05/28/11 at 16:19:46

Quite possibly there was some crap in the gas that has plugged up the filter on the petcock. Enough gas is getting trough for it to idle but when you give it throttle it starves for gas and therefore runs very lean, causing the backfiring. Pull the gas line off at the carb and put it on prime, draining it into a can or something. If there is just a trickle, that's most likely the problem, and you could try draining the tank, pulling the petcock off and having a look. If the petcock screen is plugged up you will have to flush out the tank, put good gas in it and drive back to that station and give 'em bloody hell.  Angry

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/28/11 at 16:26:23

I'd swap out the gas, get another tank full somewhere else.

add an ounce or two of seafoam and hope for the best.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/29/11 at 01:22:54

I'd have to blame the gas. I just dont buy th coincidence of anything suddenly developing  carb problem, at th same time they fill up the tank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 05/29/11 at 07:11:58

Its not the gas !
Idle is the most critical and sensitive circuit in a carb. Any bad quality fuel will first show as bad,......or no idle.

Sounds to me like you coincidence-ally picked up something off the bottom of the carb bowl and sucked it somewhere into the main metering circuit of the carb. Them WOTs will get you sooner or later,....and one way or another. Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/29/11 at 08:35:20

Dang,, yea,, Im wrong as heck,,, ,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 05/29/11 at 10:00:27

Not necessarily,......or at least don't put all your money on it.
I sometimes use logical thinking, but we all know that has failed many times !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bruce177
YaBB Newbies

Scratched Plastic
Riders

Berlin, WI
Reply #12 - 05/30/11 at 08:29:50

Those of you who suggested dirty carb/ or something in the tank were spot on, took it for a ride while it was backfiring trying to clear it out. I have a suicide shifter so normally ride with one hand on the throttle on hand on the shifter/clutch. Well it took off at full throttle while it was revving and almost took me off the back lmao! Thats gotta be a first for a 650 savage. Thanks for all the help guys

Runs like a champ again

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:19:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine idles, throttle up only produces backfiring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.