Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
About to jet the carb....JAP phillips?? (Read 263 times)
SHaW0069
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

About to jet the carb....JAP phillips??
05/25/11 at 18:30:02

Hey all!

before i mess around with any of the Phillps screws i see on my bike..
do i need to use a Japanese Phillips screwdriver? especially to extract the screws out....  I personally heard that using my Canadian Phillips screwdriver will strip the heads on them...

if it's true where do i buy such a screw driver? at the local Suzuki bike shop? or Canadian tire? or NAPA or Autozone???

what size of screwdriver am i looking for when dealing with these screws?

thanks i'm a noob!  Cheesy
hehe

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: About to jet the carb....JAP phillips??
Reply #1 - 05/25/11 at 18:33:25

What ever you use, apply enough down force to keep the driver engaged.
They used thread lock so figure on a fight or use penetrating oil.
or a pair of vise grips on the head work great.
just don't break your neck   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/26/11 at 07:25:23

The bowl screws use just a normal phillips driver.
But I didn't even attempt to try to loosen them by hand only. A long driver won't fit. A short driver won't work on the rear screws because the battery box is too close. But I took the reversable bit out of my short driver, put it in the rear screws, then cut a stick to fit between the speedo cable nut and the phillips bit, held strong upward pressure on the phillips bit, then popped them loose w/ a wrench on the driver bit. They were very tight, but it worked fabulous,....so much so, I didn't even bother to replace w/ allen heads.

But those little bitty phillips ones for the white spacer, don't even ask me what fits those. But they were very tight,.. needed lots of pressure. Be carefull.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 05/26/11 at 08:08:08

One difference between US spec Phillips head drivers and Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) drivers, is that the blades on the JIS drivers are a little wider and fit the X of the screw more snugly. That means the US drivers wiggle in the X.

Also, JIS drivers are more blunt on the end because JIS Phillips screws have a shallower X. Many US drivers have a pointier end than JIS drivers of the same approximate size, which means they don't sit all the way into the X on JIS screws. That's the main cause of US drivers slipping and stripping the heads of JIS Phillips screws. So you can sometimes get a US driver to work sufficiently well on JIS screws by grinding a little off the tip. It will still wiggle in the X, but it will make better overall contact.

Or you can spend a few bucks for a set of JIS drivers, available online. I mean, if we're going to be working on Japanese bikes, it something we should have.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/26/11 at 11:17:13

Gunsmithing screwdrivers. Large ones fit JIS screws perfectly, small ones fit internal carb screws perfectly.

Pricey but worth every penny.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 05/26/11 at 11:59:52

Believe Canadian cross head Screwdrivers are often Reed and Prince not phillips and would fit even worse than a phillips. Reed and Prince was once used in the furniture industry and often sold from a cardboard bucket on the counter in stores for cheap. Must have ruined alot of phillps screws. The Harbor freight has a 1/4 " drive impact driver that had a pretty good fit phillips bit.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
parkashan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/07/11 at 13:07:45

very good comparison of JIS and US phillips @ MotoBuddha

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 09/07/11 at 13:37:10

[quote author=414E544F535546444C4255270 link=1306373402/0#2 date=1306419923
But I didn't even attempt to try to loosen them by hand only. A long driver won't fit. A short driver won't work on the rear screws because the battery box is too close. [/quote]

You can loosen the hose clamps holding the carb in place, then, with a bit of muscle, push the top of the carb one way while pulling the bottom the other. Or vice versa.  There should be enough slack in the hoses and cable so you can angle the bowl outward enough to access the screws easier.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/07/11 at 15:01:27

I first bought this right angled tool with phillips on both sides - from Ace. Looks like a chrome allen wrench kind of, but with two 90 degree ends on them. A flat-head version comes with it. I then tapped on that with a wrench and I was able to loosen them right up. I was able to get the bowl off by just removing the batter box top cover. Eventually I had to take the carb off, and you'll need to remove the battery box to do it. It is very simple to do.

The top screws on the carb must have had locktite or something. I was only able to get them off with vicegrips.

I don't figure I'll be in the top bit often, so I used the same screws again and then used the vice grips to tighten just a little extra.

I recommend what others have done/suggested and replaced the bowl screws with stainless allen head bolts and lock washers. Makes taking that bowl off again a total snap.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #9 - 09/07/11 at 16:34:35

what worked for me was suggested by others...remove carb, use penetrating oil.  Lightly tap edge of each screw with a pin punch in both directions. Try screwdriver, and when that fails, which it will on at least 2 screws, use vise grips.

sure you can try it with the carb on the bike by why, simple to remove and way faster if and when you have a space to driver issue.

Just been there and done that.   Cool

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 09/07/11 at 16:45:07

Routy wrote on 05/26/11 at 07:25:23:
The bowl screws use just a normal phillips driver.
But I didn't even attempt to try to loosen them by hand only. A long driver won't fit. A short driver won't work on the rear screws because the battery box is too close. But I took the reversable bit out of my short driver, put it in the rear screws, then cut a stick to fit between the speedo cable nut and the phillips bit, held strong upward pressure on the phillips bit, then popped them loose w/ a wrench on the driver bit. They were very tight, but it worked fabulous,....so much so, I didn't even bother to replace w/ allen heads.

But those little bitty phillips ones for the white spacer, don't even ask me what fits those. But they were very tight,.. needed lots of pressure. Be carefull.

I did this and it worked a charm. Grind a teeny weeny bit off the Canadian philips tip so it seats all the way in.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/07/11 at 21:55:50

Grind a teeny weeny bit off

Yea,, thats the way the guy at the machine shop would explain it..

I worked at a shop that had a sign sayin

We do precision guesswork

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Markusublime
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin through the
great white north.

Ontario,Canada
Reply #12 - 09/07/11 at 22:35:11

An impact driver will save you a lot of aggravation,I've also done as others suggested and ground the tip of the bit until it fits tight.

Loud pipes save lives
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 09/08/11 at 01:36:46

Harbor Freight has a "small" impact driver for less than $10 which includes a few bits, one of which is a long shaft Phillips head that fits the tiny screws down inside the carb slide which need to be removed to do a white spacer mod
This makes quick and easy removal of those little buggers

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/08/11 at 02:19:02

Be aware , that Harbor Freight thing can be pretty junky. I had to take mine apart & do some grinding inside to get it to change directions. But, IIRC, it cost about 5 bucks,, Im not hurt..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:28:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › About to jet the carb....JAP phillips??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.