Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What size for the rear fender? (Read 185 times)
mr. s
YaBB Newbies

Savage Newb

Calgary AB
What size for the rear fender?
05/25/11 at 15:29:28

I feel like I am finding some conflicting information on the size of the rear wheel. I am putting a trailer fender on my '04, and want it to fit tight.

I measured roughly 25", giving a diameter of about 12.5". Then I also measured 5.5" for the width of the tire.

Some trailer fender sights only have tire size, and not all the measurements. I read on here that the tire is a 'size 17'? Is that right?

Thanks everyone for all your help. I am glad I found this sight. Cheesy

IP Logged
CaptCraic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: What size for the rear fender?
Reply #1 - 05/26/11 at 08:11:15

The rear wheel is a 15". As far as the tire goes im not sure. I think the stock is a 130/90 but when I have replaced tires on mine I asked for a 140/90 so its just a little wider. I'm about to do a rear fender that sits snug and moves with the suspension. I assume i'll probably have to make it. I wonder if the easiest way to see if it fits would be to take the bike to a store selling trailer parts or bend a steel ruler along the tire just right and use it to check the curve of the fender. I'm in the same position but these are a few thoughts I have had.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/26/11 at 11:13:36

Tractor Supply Company, any trailer shop and most independent HD shops should have a decent selection.

If it will fit an FXR, XL or nosecone Shovel FL it will work. They came with 16" rear tires. XL is right side drive though.

Most generic boat/canoe trailer fenders are for 14-16" tires.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/26/11 at 11:40:12

About the biggest OD you can use with the stock swingarm is 26" so I'd go for at least 28" diameter, 14" radius.

With wise, biggest tire with some trouble with the belt gaurd is 160 or 6.3"  add some clearance and you got 8" wide.

WWW   IP Logged
mr. s
YaBB Newbies

Savage Newb

Calgary AB
Reply #4 - 05/26/11 at 14:21:03

verslagen1 wrote on 05/26/11 at 11:40:12:
About the biggest OD you can use with the stock swingarm is 26" so I'd go for at least 28" diameter, 14" radius.

With wise, biggest tire with some trouble with the belt gaurd is 160 or 6.3"  add some clearance and you got 8" wide.

Now if I am going to attach the fender to the same part of the frame that the wheel is attached to, (as in not the upper portion that moves with the shocks), does that not mean that I can get the fender MUCH closer than if it had to move with the shocks?

I was actually hoping to get 6" width, and just a half inch off the back tire. I am having a tough time finding the right size though.  Angry

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/27/11 at 06:22:56

Grab a copy of The Horse Backstreet Choppers and go through their advertisers. Or find an indy shop that carries V-twin Manufacturing parts. You can get skirted 1/2 rounds and proceed to cut out a one of a kind fender. Trailer fenders do the job fine, but are kinda common...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What size for the rear fender?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.