Send Topic Print
Intake/Exhaust? (Read 117 times)
CaptCraic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Intake/Exhaust?
05/23/11 at 15:29:46

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm in the middle of a project bike. It's my second savage and the first one that i really got this far into. I'm going with a velocity stack or small filter and wanted to run it with just a header or maybe a shorter pipe. I have heard stories of people burning up valves with short exhausts and don't need that extra expense on this one. Any thoughts on that? Also, will I need to rejet and anythoughts on what it needs to be rejetted to? Thanks.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Intake/Exhaust?
Reply #1 - 05/23/11 at 16:16:06

Jetting an engine set up like that will be the booger of all boogers, and yes,... you will burn it up...
... and you will have no torque... very narrow powerband...

Don't do it...   it'll run like piss... even re-jetted .
...if you have to ask about jetting, you aren't going to be able to jet that setup...

Put on a Harley muffler,... it's much smaller and lighter, and easy to jet for...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
CaptCraic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/24/11 at 08:09:18

What about a little cone filter or velocity stack with the harley muffler? Does that seem like a good option? I just wanted to get rid of the big air box and bazooka of a muffler they put on these things. Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 05/24/11 at 08:21:39

Several people on here run a cone filter with a dyna takeoff muffler, myself included. Seems to run fine, haven't had to mess with my jets at all, but I live at about 4500' elevation.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/24/11 at 09:07:34

Yes, that can work very well...
If you are at, or near, sea level elevation, you should re-jet with that set-up.
Going up one or two steps richer.
I'd start with a 152.5/ 55# main/pilot and do the 2/3rd spacer mod.
You'll be safe from burning valves with that, at the least.  
The pilot jet will affect your gas mileage the most, so I try to go very slightly lean on that one.  If you want to keep good mpg's you can try staying with the stock 52.5# pilot jet and see how it runs for you.  If you need to go more than 3 turns out on the idle mix screw to get the smoothest idle, then go up one step on the pilot.

To test the main, accelerate from 30 or 40 mph, in 4th or 5th gear at full throttle for several seconds, then reduce throttle by about 1/8,...if power increases for a second, you are lean on the main jet.  Go up one jet size and test again.

A good indicator of overall jetting is the weather...if popping/backfiring increases on humid days, or at higher elevation, that indicates rich....less popping at those times indicates lean.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - 05/24/11 at 10:17:15

Someone here wrote that 35"-36" is the optimum pipe length, powerwise, for the LS650.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 05/24/11 at 10:39:58

MotoBuddha wrote on 05/24/11 at 10:17:15:
Someone here wrote that 35"-36" is the optimum pipe length, powerwise, for the LS650.

Really? My new 36" fishtail is being delivered to my house today!!! Yipee!!!  Cheesy

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
CaptCraic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/24/11 at 14:05:20

Without measuring it seems like the stock header is about 28 or 30 inches already. Could i stick an 8 or 10 inch long tip on it or would I need baffles? I'm just trying to make it run right without spending much more. I'm already at least $10 past my budget of $5 on this one. Haha. The last ls650 that I owned I never really got deep into it. I only did aesthetic stuff and my daily driver is a '74 honda 750 four so a vastly different machine. Thanks for all the tips. I'll try and get some pics up here soon. I love these bikes and this group is really helpful. The guys in my bike group tend to ride mostly 70's hondas and such and with the exception of a few BSA's or Enfields there isnt much big single experience there.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #8 - 05/24/11 at 14:26:37

I got my harley dyna muffler for 10 bucks on ebay. They are an easy get for cheap. See the tech section on this forum for the right one to buy.

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:16:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intake/Exhaust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.