Lousy Weather (Read 318 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Lousy Weather
05/22/11 at 22:16:06

Not bad enough its been trying to wash us away or drown us(or both!).
But mother nature tossed one he!! of a twister into the mix today.
Run through the middle of joplin mo, looks bad, real bad.
Initial word is a mile wide and 3 mile long path through town. Possibly an f4 or f5.
Direct hit on the hospital, tore of some of the concrete faceing as well as blowing out all the windows and takeing the roof off.
One nurse recalled seeing a 300 lb man sucked out a window. Less then 5 minutes warning.
Surrounding neighborhoods flattened, you cant tell where the houses were. Power poles, steel light poles, cell towers snapped. Didnt see a tree standing. Cars piled on top of each other.
Something like 27 cars, trucks and semis blowed off the highway(I44) where it crossed
24 dead for a start, many more will follow come morning.
Wal-mart flattened, 4 schools hit and dont know how many houses or other buisnesses. One scool was supposedly totaled, one, not sure which, was haveing a graduation.
Pretty much went right down main street from the sound of it at rush hour. Time for church to.
Devastation as far as the eye could see.
Looks as bad or worse then Tuscalusa(SP) in the videos

You dont see parts of roofs or walls standing, just lots of debris.
Was dropping debris a good 20-30 miles in front of the storm.
Gov called out the National Guard and in this area that means its real bad.
KS and OK had some good ones to. Twisters and softball sized hail.
They just seemed to keep freight training through along the I44 and US 160 corridor.
Been some kind of lousy spring so far.
Glad i didnt go for a ride this evening.

« Last Edit: 05/23/11 at 03:04:27 by Wolfman »  
  IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Re: Lousy Weather
Reply #1 - 05/23/11 at 05:04:49

I am glad you didnt either. Glad you are still with us. My thoughts and prayers are with all. It definately puts things into perspective for alot of people.

kfink@aol.com kfink@aol.com   IP Logged
bluedad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sumiton, AL
Reply #2 - 05/23/11 at 05:08:38

Riding around  in Alabama, I'm still struck by the widespread damage caused by the tornado's here a few weeks ago.  My thoughts and prayers go to the folks of Joplin.  My heart sank when I read the news this morning.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/23/11 at 05:57:30

Saw it on the news this morning (0100 central). Joplin looks to be pretty well flattened. Same with parts of Minneapolis, 4 went through there back to back. A liitle town in Kansas got hammered bad too.

We're in the spring tail of a La Nina cycle. Screwy weather is going to be with us for a while longer. I just hope the rest of the year doesn't follow the last 2 years worth of trends.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 05/23/11 at 07:50:33

Already seen some amazing footage of Joplin.  Just devastating...

Glad you are safe Wolfman.  How far away are you?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/23/11 at 08:22:13

Lousy weather,... quite an understatement...

With the Japan earthquake, and then all the flooding and tornadoes,... I'm beginning to wonder if god didn't just skip the rapture and go straight for the four horsemen......

Hope everyone down there gets the help they need...

at least a few members down there...
MO – MISSOURI
-Southpaw – Washington
-12Bravo – Wellsville
-Wolfman - Marshfield

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #6 - 05/23/11 at 08:39:40

So much destruction and devestation. Just had it on
the news, winds about 200 mph. On the ground for 4
min. Debris found 60 miles away.
Will keep them all in my prayers. Wow what a Spring this
is turning out to be. kim

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #7 - 05/23/11 at 12:49:35

Death toll went to 89 at 6 this morning as the sun was starting to come up. It will go up further. They were still doing surface rescues then.
Sounds like a lot of folks missing.They start going through the debris mountains, not piles, they will find more. Fourth deadliest in the states record, worst in 50 years.
Everybody was saying 75% of the town was gone but city manager said only 25-30% is gone. Something on the order of 2000 buildings just gone, city basicly cut in half.
Tornado left a track 6 miles long and at least a 1/2 mile wide. Have'nt heard anyone mention the possible number of injured but they have been begging for ANY trained medical personel and blood.

Its been likened to a city fought over in WWII, and it looks it.
More storms rolled into the area with high gusty winds, heavy rains and quarter sized hail about 8:30 this morning and have carried on all day.
Tommorrow is supposed to be as bad or worse then yesterday storm wise in the same areas here.

BBH, im about 80 miles east north east from joplin. Right in the middle of tornado alley just like Joplin. Most any storm hits them rolls right over the top of us as well if it dont play out first.
The I44 HWY 60 corridor just kind of channels em across SW MO.
I was keeping an eye on it both on TV and outside. It was a nasty looking female dog. Debris ball on radar looked 5-10 miles across.
Debris was showing up in peoples yards a good 20-30 miles ahead of the storm. LOT of medical debris from the hospital, x-rays, paper work ect. Some had been found as far as 60 to 70 miles away from joplin.

We've had heavy flooding the last couple of weeks and with this latest rain the lakes are up again(had'nt went down much). Flash flood warnings all over. Been a heavy thunderstorm going on over joplin for the last couple of hours this evening.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #8 - 05/23/11 at 12:50:32

60 miles in 4 min is 900 miles an hour Smiley

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #9 - 05/23/11 at 13:54:35

Where you getting 4 minutes?

Death toll as of 3:15 is 116
They have found 7 survivors in the rubble and more are hoped for.
They have now started a grid search to go through the rubble. The count will most likely go up even higher.

Preliminary survey is it was an EF4 with winds in the 198mph range.
Storm chaser following the storm said they were running 45-50 mph and the storm was pulling away from them when it went through Joplin.
They have had a t-storm over them for at least the last 3 hours with high winds, heavy rain and quarter sized hail hampering rescue efforts.

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-story-joplin-tornado-update-20110523,0,6117936.st...

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #10 - 05/23/11 at 20:55:31

Death toll has'nt changed yet but they said it WILL go up.
17 survivors found so far.
2 police officers doing search and rescue were struck by lightening this evening.
5-10 inchs of rain in the last 12 hours in that area. Thunderstorm after thunderstorm right over joplin.
Their saying their probably going to raise the risk from moderate to high for the joplin area tomorrow as well for more tornadoes.
Second dealiest tornado in US history is what they said.
Still calling it probably an EF4 but might upgrade to an EF5. Be only the second one in recorded MO history.

Weather is hampering search n rescue and causeing a real worry about survivors and hypothermia. Temps been running around 60 degrees. Hypothermia can set in at 72 degrees.
Still dealing with gas leaks, fires, weather and calling for blood donors.
Literaly looks like someone nuked the place.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #11 - 05/24/11 at 04:28:20

We had strong winds and hail but luckily no tornadoes in my area. Last night's storms stayed south of me.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #12 - 05/24/11 at 13:45:03

Well they bumped the risk level to moderate for most of our area so keep your head down and eye on the weather tonight 12B.
Joplins in the high risk area. Someone in SW MO is going to catch he!! again tonight. Im hopeing it all pretty well blows itself out in KS and OK before it gets here. Ive had more then enough for this spring.

Their doing dog searchs in Joplin now, trying to get into the walmart and home depot stores. Massive slabs of concrete at the home depot.
I remembr someone say they thought there were around 200 people in one of those stores when the twister hit. Then you got about 2000 more collapsed homes and buisnesses to dig through. Its still looking grim.
And tonights supposed to be as bad or WORSE then sunday was.

All this rain isnt helping the record flooding down around tablerock and taneycomo either. The flood waters had'nt went down yet and they got all 10 gates open at tablerock and the gates at the other d@ms as well.
Lot of people lost or loseing everything down there as well. At least no massive loss of life due to the flooding...so far.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #13 - 05/24/11 at 15:33:24

Just had a small but strong storm roll through here. I rode to Hermann today and the Missouri river and all the creeks were either at top of their banks or overflowing them. I hope we don't get anymore bad storms like the other night.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #14 - 05/24/11 at 19:39:59

Terrible ordeal they're going through in Joplin! The devastation around the hospital is unreal! There's a local group collecting supplies to take with them when they go down Friday. Someone told me this morning they've had a lot of fire and rescue teams from across the state brought in to go through as much area as possible in the critical first 72 hrs. Amazing!!!!

Bravo, I passed through your neck of the woods on the way to Mark Twain Lake Sunday night just in front of that funnel cloud. Did you all get a lot of hail damage up there or did it stay south? We came back through Hermann today about 2PM. Did you have the Savage or the Bergman?

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 16:00:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Lousy Weather

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.