Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Decomp Sol. omission (Read 361 times)
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decomp Sol. omission
05/22/11 at 15:33:32

Any thoughts about just removing this seemingly useless gadget? Has anyone done this? Any tips to avoid problems down the road? I know the bike will start without it since mine was disconnected and I didn't even know it. But I don't like the idea of that shaft just vibrating around without the linkage hooked up to it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Decomp Sol. omission
Reply #1 - 05/22/11 at 23:36:57

Yea, It'll start, but, you gotta realize the load that puts on the starter IF it dies with the piston about to come up on compression. The starter has to start spinning the motor as it starts into compression,, no flywheel effect to help the starter carry it into & thru the compression stroke.. The decomp solenoid only fires for a fraction of a second. Id suggest making it a manual decomp, shouldnt be hard to do..or, fix the decomp, but just because it starts now doesnt mean its gonna keep on doin that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/23/11 at 00:48:41

I was told by few experienced bike mechanics that if the engine stops at the compression cycle and you try to crank it without decomp - it may crack or strip starter gears. I was gonna remove it, but decided to keep it after that advice.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 05/23/11 at 09:07:34

FWIW, the RYCA way to take care of this issue is to dump the solenoid (it is heavy) and have a manual linkage to the decompression apparatus.  Much lighter and gives a manual option.

To push the piston through a compression stroke in a 650cc single is quite an effort.  I agree,.. without the decompression working, you might strip some starter gears, burn out the starter, or (if the starter or battery is weak) not be able to get it started.  At the very least, you'll be wearing out the starter faster.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/23/11 at 12:34:50

I'll keep it intact then. As I said I don't want any issues down the road and since keeping it is the path to the least issues so be it. Thanks guys as always you always make me look at things alittle different than I would normally.

IP Logged
CaptCraic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/23/11 at 15:17:08

I havent run mine yet but you can cut out the decomp controller and all the nonessential safety stuff (kickstand kill switch, neutral start switch) by taking the yellow/green wire from the starter button directly to the black and yellow to the starter solenoid. After I rewired it all I hit the starter and it would do half a crank and freeze. It couldnt push through the compression. I just ran a cable to pull and it cranks fine with that. Thats all the decomp soleniod did anyway so it made it really easy to rig a manual decomp. Good luck.

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #6 - 05/23/11 at 15:21:18

What's the benefit of a manual decomp? How does this change your start-up procedure?

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/23/11 at 15:43:49

we are currently working on a manual decompression lever; it will be minimal and hand operated. we are hoping to offer this accessory and will post pictures soon once we have the prototype machined!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 05/23/11 at 18:30:50

CalisOsin wrote on 05/23/11 at 15:21:18:
What's the benefit of a manual decomp? How does this change your start-up procedure?

There are pros and cons to everything.  For a manual decompression device on the LS650 that replaces the automatically operated electrical device:

Pro:  a few pounds lighter, looks machine-like, cleaner appearance overall if you don't mind seeing the linkage, uses parts the RYCA conversion would otherwise have tossed out, it's cool, it starts conversations

Con: non-standard, decompression is not automatic anymore (you actually have to think about it everytime you hit the starter), linkage is hanging out there to get hung up and bent on something, more adjustments to adjust.

The startup procedure will be mostly the same.  The diff will be you putting your left foot on the decompression lever for about a half a second when you hit the starter button.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/23/11 at 19:10:12

As much as I enjoy the fine art of gizmology & I can appreciate your solution, I wonder if it would be possible to build another setup that swings a lever on the head that sets it to hold the valve open & accomplish a decomp cycle & then self release.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 05/24/11 at 05:00:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/23/11 at 19:10:12:
As much as I ..... can appreciate your solution......... I wonder if it would be possible to build another setup that swings a lever on the head......

It is my solution only in that it is what RYCA will send in the kit.

To build on your idea, how about having a lever on the shaft that lifts the exhaust valve for decompression set up with a microswitch the triggers the starter relay?  You'd sit on the bike ready to start it, put the key in, turn on the ignition, reach down with your left hand, lift the decompression lever mounted on the cylinder head -- which would lift the exhaust valve and click the starter relay, starting the motor.

It would be rather unusual, so you'd get a lot of conversations started.  It would have fewer parts than any setup mentioned so far, but you'd have to figure out something to do with the starter button.  It would have fewer mechanical pieces hanging out in the breeze waiting to get banged around.

Just a thought,...

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #11 - 05/24/11 at 07:37:14

Gyro - thanks! that was a perfect explanation and I don't think I had seen that picture before. I really dig the way that looks, might be something I look into later on with my own little twist.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
CaptCraic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/24/11 at 08:25:41

I felt like since I was trying to have fewer parts, the big linkage all the way down the front of the bike was counter productive for my build. I put a cable pull from the top of the head under the tank to just in front of the tank at the tree. When I hit the starter button (which is still in the stock location) i just pull the little ring on the end of the cable for a second. It weighs as much as a 16" or so peice of about 12 guage steel cable and whatever you put on the end to pull. I chose this mostly because i wanted get rid of a bunch of wiring and clean up the look and went with the cable pull because it cost me literally nothing. I will probably make a little lever right on the mechanism in time and get rid of the cable.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 05/24/11 at 11:32:01

Yes, that would be the simplest and the cleanest looking.  Just have a little lever on the exhaust valve lifter shaft, and get rid of all the other stuff.  To start the bike, just lift up on the lever for half a second while you hit the starter button.  A two-handed start procedure, eh?

IP Logged
CaptCraic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/24/11 at 13:48:43

Yeah, two handed for mine now and i also got rid of my idiot proofing (neutral start and kickstand kill switch) I can just see myself one day forgetting that im in 1st and starting it while leaning over to pull the lever and the bike lurching forward and falling over. Haha.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 13:22:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decomp Sol. omission

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.