Send Topic Print
Steering Lock Key (Read 228 times)
wolfsgirl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Steering Lock Key
05/22/11 at 12:25:55

Hey all,  As many of you know I just picked up a 2005 S40 Boulevard and apparently the ignition key is NOT the same as the steering lock key.  Since the bike didn't come with a Steering lock key, anyone know which key is needed ( ebay says there are 4 different keys) and where to get one?  The dealership where I purchased the bike told me that they don't cut keys and to try a locksmith.  Does this sound right to ya'll?

IP Logged
Daved144
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Steering Lock Key
Reply #1 - 05/22/11 at 13:00:59

A locksmith should be able to help you. The locksmith should be able to make a key for the lock you have even if there is no code.

IP Logged
scroop

Good grief, not
again!!!

western PA
Reply #2 - 05/22/11 at 18:12:19

That is the only irritation that I have with this machine.  I absolutely hate having to use more than one key and four keys is ridiculous.  I eliminated the helmet lock (don't wear one anyway) and I use a heavy Kryptonite U-lock instead of the stock steering lock (mine either doesn't work or I don't have the right key).  The bike looks better with the steering wheel straight anyway - just don't forget to take it off before trying to ride  Tongue!    
---Scroop

Ride free!
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #3 - 05/22/11 at 18:28:30

A locksmith should be able to find a blank but if all else fails here's a link to website that supposedly has the blanks.  Count down 14 and 15 from the top.  I've never ordered one so I don't know anything about the guy.  I think sombody posted this here some time back.

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks4.html

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 05/22/11 at 18:51:51

wolfsgirl wrote on 05/22/11 at 12:25:55:
Hey all,  As many of you know I just picked up a 2005 S40 Boulevard and apparently the ignition key is NOT the same as the steering lock key.  Since the bike didn't come with a Steering lock key, anyone know which key is needed ( ebay says there are 4 different keys) and where to get one?  The dealership where I purchased the bike told me that they don't cut keys and to try a locksmith.  Does this sound right to ya'll?

Based on the '07 S40: there are 4 keyholes, only 2 keys: ignition, gas tank and helmet lock use the regular key - fork lock uses a little key: I used to lock it until i realized it's pretty much a waste of time.  If you can get the gas tank open and start the thing, I would suggest don't bother trying to chase down the fork lock key - just my opinion

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 05/22/11 at 20:03:30

A BMW motorcycle dealer will have a blank. If you don't have a key the only solution is to get a new fork lock and drill out the old one and replace it. I had to do this as I had no key. I wanted a third key, as I always carry spare keys in my wallet The best locksmith in town told me he couldn't get a blank, the dealer told me 1- fork lock key codes are not kept on file by Suzuki- 2 Suzuki does not sell blanks for the fork lock key.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 05/23/11 at 16:51:17

My locksmith looked at my key and recognized it to be a BMW key. I had my key, so it was $4 to have a spare made. Go to a good locksmith and ask if they can help you.  I also got an automotive ignition key with a chip in it plus they programmed it to my car in a 10 minute visit; it cost $40. Keyless remotes start around $60. Why go to a dealership and watch tv on the wall and smell burned coffee for an hour so they can tell you it's on order for $90?  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #7 - 05/24/11 at 14:31:50

You do know that the savage is one of the least likely to be stolen bikes.   Undecided (dont know why because I love mine) But I also understand that peace of mind is priceless.

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 05/24/11 at 17:40:06

My '06 came with 3 keys.  The one on the left is the one that locks the steering.  The other two are ignition keys, I use the one in the middle when I ride and the other stays stored at home.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #9 - 05/24/11 at 17:50:50

Another vote to skip the fork lock.  

When the bike was new to me, getting a fork key seemed like a good idea.  After riding a few years and locking the back wheel with an armored bike cable, I never think the fork lock or the missing key.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 05/25/11 at 03:42:37

babyhog wrote on 05/24/11 at 17:40:06:
My '06 came with 3 keys.  The one on the left is the one that locks the steering.  The other two are ignition keys, I use the one in the middle when I ride and the other stays stored at home.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx211/babyhog/stuff/WP_000788.jpg

The smaller key stays in my wallet the bigger I use in motorcycle, fork key stays at home

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 05/25/11 at 05:18:53

I posted the pic because she asked "which key is needed", thought a pic might help.  And I meant to add that I had to search for my fork key!  Found one that I thought was it, but it turned out to be Hubby's C90 fork key.  Looks the same and fits in the lock but won't turn, of course.  Found mine hanging on the hook in the garage.  We don't use them either.  

But Bill, I might just start carrying the second key with me all the time.  Since I don't carry a wallet, and don't ride with my purse, I'll have to think about it.  I usually take it with me on longer trips, just to have the spare in case of loss.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:24:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering Lock Key

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.