Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY 15$ Bar Risers (Read 1541 times)
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

DIY 15$ Bar Risers
05/21/11 at 18:28:02

Been browsing eBay for awhile for these things now and they are surprisingly expensive. I was mocking up a bar riser in front of one of my friends using a socket and was pleasantly surprised with how it looked. So I went ahead and made them permanent.

What you need:

(2) 1/2 Drive deep socket (must be 1/2 for the center bore of the socket to fit the bolts) (I used a 5/8 socket, 1/2 drive)
(2) 3/8 x 6inch Bolt from your local hardware store
(2) 3/8 Lock washers
(2) 3/8 Nuts

I first tried a 5/8 socket for a 3/8 drive but the hole wasnt big enough to feed the bolt through. It was even tougher to drill it since it is hardened steel. So I went back to the store and bought 2 half inch drive sockets and they worked out good

Total material cost me about $15. Your going to want to make sure your sockets dont have much lettering or designs on them, because we'll be cutting them off.

A mockup making sure everything fits like it is supposed to.

Built a homemade lathe. Make sure its secure.

I taped off the socket to protect from any damage if the blade slipped. I used a regular hacksaw blade with the socket spinning against the teeth. Use it near the edges of the blade where regular sawing doesnt wear it.

Also, note how Ive used the notch already cut into the socket as a starter. It will be very difficult to break through the chrome and hardened steal so just be careful and have patience.

The socket I used makes you cut through the thicket part of the whole unit...

Hopefully you will get a nice clean cut and not need to do much grinding.

Repeat with the other socket, assemble enjoy.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: DIY 15$ Bar Risers
Reply #1 - 05/31/11 at 14:49:59

Why did you cut the sockets...I'm missing something... Huh

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/02/11 at 13:25:50

I cut off where it says like "5/8 Chrome Vanadium" so its just a straight chrome piece no writing no nothing

IP Logged
Firetox
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chantilly VA
Reply #3 - 08/31/12 at 14:48:17

hey thanks for the idea, i did this today and i love it .

IP Logged
Dale72
YaBB Newbies

Lets keep it
simple... One
cylinder at a time.

Noble, Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 12/25/12 at 19:05:55

So I have been wanting to do this for a while and finally got started, Why not my tank fenders and ect. are out getting painted. Well got em mounted and they feel as if they can be snapped real easy. Any Ideas??? They are solid but if you push them forward and backwards they can flex a bit. I am wandering if stronger bolts may help or filling in the sockets with nuts?????. They look super great though.

" The fact that you are a Sheriff is not germane to the situation" " The God darn Germans got nuttin to do wid it!"
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/25/12 at 20:41:39

If you can fill the sockets with nuts then you got the wrong kind of bolts.
You shouldn't be using all thread.

WWW   IP Logged
Dale72
YaBB Newbies

Lets keep it
simple... One
cylinder at a time.

Noble, Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 01/04/13 at 09:51:10

Yea after getting them bolted down I wasnt happy with the "Flex effect" so I ran down to the hardware store and got stronger grade bolts. They work out great and look good as well. Probably a lot more safe too. I also didnt use 5/8 Sockets I used 15mm sockets They were about a .50 inch shorter and had little to no scribe on them. Smiley

" The fact that you are a Sheriff is not germane to the situation" " The God darn Germans got nuttin to do wid it!"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 03:49:51

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › DIY 15$ Bar Risers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.