Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low Compression -- Thoughts? (Read 231 times)
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Low Compression -- Thoughts?
05/18/11 at 15:09:22

I've been getting pretty bad gas mileage on my bike (~35mpg) recently, so I did a compression test and consistently got around 90psi  Undecided . As far as I know, the compression should be around 140-200psi.

The bike is a 2002 with just under 19k miles on it, for what it is worth and it does go through a bit of oil (though not too much). valves were adjusted 3k miles ago.

Any thoughts on what I might be causing this? bad gaskets? worn rings?

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Low Compression -- Thoughts?
Reply #1 - 05/18/11 at 15:27:37

Could be the "wicked wrist" syndrome  Grin mine suffers at times too  Wink

Sorry, I can't help you with anything more than that.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/18/11 at 15:34:26

Your excessive mpg may be washing down the cylinder walls causing excessive wear.

time for new rings.

WWW   IP Logged
rustysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #3 - 05/18/11 at 15:37:57

Add a teaspoon of 10w oil to the cylinder, do a compression test. If the compression go up problem is with your piston, rings and or cylinder. If it stays the same problem with your valves. Decompression valve staying on?

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 05/18/11 at 16:44:56

EJID wrote on 05/18/11 at 15:27:37:
Could be the "wicked wrist" syndrome  Grin mine suffers at times too  Wink

Sorry, I can't help you with anything more than that.

yeah... i don't exactly ride easy, but it can't be THAT bad...

--
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 05/18/11 at 16:46:12

rustysavage wrote on 05/18/11 at 15:37:57:
Add a teaspoon of 10w oil to the cylinder, do a compression test. If the compression go up problem is with your piston, rings and or cylinder. If it stays the same problem with your valves. Decompression valve staying on?

If this is to be believed, then it is the valves.

Put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder, compression test came back with the same 90psi. I'll double check that the valves are adjusted properly and see what i find....

I'm not sure I follow what you mean when you say decompression valve is staying on (decomp solenoid?). care to explain a bit more?

--
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/18/11 at 17:10:58

the selenoid activates the cable that pulls on the lever which manually opens one exhaust valve on start up. If its not adjusted properly you can possibly be riding around with one exhaust valve open constantly. Bad news bears right there. You also have about the same mileage I had last spring when i took the head in for valve work. Valves were pitted and not seating fully allowing compression to be released. Im geussing this condition actually happens in the first few thousand miles when original owners general either - keep stock everything including stock lean jetting or - change mufflers without rejetting making the stock lean condition worse, and then it just gets worse from there once its started happening.

Ive been in school for diesel tech this past year, and wish id known last spring what i know now. If i can borrow some tools from my instructor I can fix it for cheaper than your probably going to find elsewhere. If nothing else I can help you take it apart and see whats what. Sounds to me though like you need new valves (exhaust probably). Unfortunately our valve faces cant be cut. Clymers insists that if you replace valves you also replace the guides. Could go either way IMO. Need to do some measuring to be certain. Id get valve stem seals as long as you/we're going in anyway. My numbers still the same, give me a call.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/18/11 at 17:38:24

spacepirates wrote on 05/18/11 at 16:46:12:
rustysavage wrote on 05/18/11 at 15:37:57:

If this is to be believed, then it is the valves.

Put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder, compression test came back with the same 90psi. I'll double check that the valves are adjusted properly and see what i find....

I'm not sure I follow what you mean when you say decompression valve is staying on (decomp solenoid?). care to explain a bit more?

Also...did you turn the engine over by hand a few times before you did the second compression test? If not go ahead and try it again.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 05/18/11 at 18:38:57

BurnPgh wrote on 05/18/11 at 17:38:24:
Also...did you turn the engine over by hand a few times before you did the second compression test? If not go ahead and try it again.

Re-checked compression after doing this, same result. Checked valves, they are adjusted properly.

Looks like Burn and I are going to tear into this issue this weekend and see whats what. At a very minimum good times and beer will be had.

--
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/22/11 at 17:04:02

verdict is - head gasket believe it or not.. Burned, discolored and pitted at the front lower head bolt. A little oil seepage there which we at first assumed was part of the head plug leak as the two leaks converged. Took it apart expecting valve issues but the chamber held water perfectly. Checked ring end gap in the cylinder at multiple positions with the worst measurement being .45mm, still well below the factory limit of 1mm. Didnt even really look at the head gasket at first. Just removed it and set it aside as the forum as a whole generally scoffs any time a newbie comes in claming a shop replaced a head gasket instead of a fixing a plug leak. Well...rest assured, these head gaskets do fail. And yes all the head bolts were torqued. New head gasket will be ordered, head/cylinder deck will be checked for warpage.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 05/23/11 at 07:43:07

Ordered the gaskets today from a local cycle shop (they are all closed on Sundays so I had to wait till today). should be in by Friday, I hope.

around $50 for cylinder head and base gaskets. Feels kinda steep given what they are, but at this point i just want a bike that runs.

Of course, working with BurnPGH, he has me thinking about all sorts of performance mods and what not. "Oh, well for only XX hundred dollars and XX time spent on your bike you could REALLY have a bike that goes". Carb... Cam... Piston...

hmm... winter project perhaps?

--
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 23:25:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Low Compression -- Thoughts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.