Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Pennzoil with "active cleansing agents" ok? (Read 253 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Pennzoil with "active cleansing agents" ok?
05/17/11 at 15:36:17

clean oil isnt black. check the back of the bottle for anything that says evergy coserving, which it probably does. If it says energy conserving dont use it.

IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #1 - 05/17/11 at 15:53:24

"clean oil isn't black"

Duh, feel stupid, sorry. Never even owned a car before this... rode a scooter for awhile and took the MRS basic course last month.

doesn't say anything about energy conserving.

I found it on their website. I think it's just their standard motor oil, but they add the active cleansing agents thing for marketing strategy.

http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-conventional

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 05/17/11 at 17:50:23

We have oil wars on here for days on end. We all know what everybody likes, so I'll go there. I use Rotella T non-synthetic (Dino Oil). Some use Rotella Synthetic. I have used Castrol Acteveo MC oil. A very few use Klotz, but it's expensive, I believe. I know the Rotella Dino 15w40 is $12 a gallon at Wal Mart. Castrol Acteveo 10w40 is about $6 a litre at bike shops and dealers. Klotz is probably the most expensive, Not sure. They all work well according to our members. OK guys, how was that?

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/17/11 at 19:59:33

I don't use Pennzoil in anything, have a plugged solid 218 flathead courtesy of the wax in Pennzoil.

You did fine. Other than forgetting people like me, who use whatever car oil is handy. Right now I have either Walmart brand 20w50 or 15w40 in mine. Leaks like a Triumph, I change the filter every once in awhile, oil changes itself.  Roll Eyes Truck is the same way, change the filter religiously and top it off when needed. Dodge, what can I expect... Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 05/18/11 at 07:06:06

I keep hearing about the Pennzoil wax problem. I buy it on sale sometimes for my chainsaw chain. Not a great test for wax problems.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #5 - 05/18/11 at 10:26:10

ditched the pennzoil - gave it to a buddy with a car.

Went to the suzuki shop today and got suzuki 10w-40 and bought an oil filter for the 00 savage.

Just going to change it myself on Sunday... this could get interesting. but you live, you learn. Wish me luck...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 05/18/11 at 12:02:45

Good luck!

And here's a helping hand from SavageGreg Smiley

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099572561

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 05/18/11 at 15:43:06

Don't be afraid to put 2 qts of oil back in after a change. It will hold well over 2 quarts w/o any issues whatsoever. And if you're like me and hate the stupid and unsafe idea of standing on your head while trying to see the oil window, while trying to hold the bike up vertical, then don't. If you leave it on the side stand, and keep the oil in the lower 1/2 of the window, it will be just fine. If you don't trust that, use the 2x4 method....... place under the side stand, and keep the oil tween the marks. I used to do that till I found the 2x4 wasn't needed.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/19/11 at 03:14:31

After seeing the slugde under a valve cover on a car that was well maintained & the guy only ran Pennzoil, I decided to never use that crap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 05/19/11 at 07:29:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/19/11 at 03:14:31:
After seeing the slugde under a valve cover on a car that was well maintained & the guy only ran Pennzoil, I decided to never use that crap.

I grew up w/ the sludge producing Pennzoil, (most popular then) but I ain't sure Quaker State was any better, and some off brands were worse. But aren't we talking 50 yrs ago ? I don't even think about those days anymore. We never see sludge buildup anymore w/ any brand oil,....unless oil is never changed, and I've seen that also, and even then the buildup is nothing like way back.....when ?

Kinda like Excide RV deep cycle batteries bad reputation, only because most all were Excides 30 yrs ago,...... and there were no smart chargers to keep from boiling batteries to their death. Their were 1 yr old junk Excide batteries laying everywhere, because thats about the only affordable battery there was back then. Today Excide and Penzoil are thriving brand.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 05/19/11 at 07:53:24

I use Valvoline 10w40 ATV oil, works well for wet clutches.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/19/11 at 19:49:09

Routy wrote on 05/19/11 at 07:29:55:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/19/11 at 03:14:31:

I grew up w/ the sludge producing Pennzoil, (most popular then) but I ain't sure Quaker State was any better, and some off brands were worse. But aren't we talking 50 yrs ago ? I don't even think about those days anymore. We never see sludge buildup anymore w/ any brand oil,....unless oil is never changed, and I've seen that also, and even then the buildup is nothing like way back.....when ?

Kinda like Excide RV deep cycle batteries bad reputation, only because most all were Excides 30 yrs ago,...... and there were no smart chargers to keep from boiling batteries to their death. Their were 1 yr old junk Excide batteries laying everywhere, because thats about the only affordable battery there was back then. Today Excide and Penzoil are thriving brand.

IIRC, it was in the 80's,, maybe now its different stuff,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 05/19/11 at 20:21:33

I've run full synthetic Quaker State in my bike one time. Rode from Memphis TN to Sturgis MS and had to add a full 2 quarts to the engine. Sump was dry. Additive package saved the engine and clutch, but I caught it just in time...

I know Kawasaki guys who swear by Mobil 1 (red cap only). I swear at it, it ate the cam/followers in Lisa's Celica. Same set-up as a Savage or Intruder...

Pennzoil in a chainsaw? Bar oil I hope. I prefer used motor oil or cheap gear oil.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #13 - 05/22/11 at 08:15:29

this site is awesome, thanks for the all the help.

I just changed it, and put it a new filter using the link to the step by step instructions with photos on this site, and with the owners manual (I also downloaded from a link on this site).

All is good.

Newbie mistakes: 1) let the drain plug fall into the oil tub so had to fish it out after the tub was full of oil. 2) only had 1 quart of oil, waiting for my buddy to get here with a second quart for me.

Then, going to enjoy this beautiful sunday on my newly oiled savage.

Thanks everyone!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 05/22/11 at 08:27:48

skipkb wrote on 05/22/11 at 08:15:29:
Newbie mistakes: 1) let the drain plug fall into the oil tub so had to fish it out after the tub was full of oil.  

That's what magnet pick ups are for.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:39:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Pennzoil with "active cleansing agents" ok?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.