Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb rebuild kits versus model year, & ultrasonic (Read 226 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Carb rebuild kits versus model year, & ultrasonic
05/16/11 at 14:12:34

I want to rebuild the carbs for our two LS650s (Dual RYCA build).

I know the RYCA CS-1 kit comes with parts to tune the carb -- basically to richen it up for backfire reduction, and the lowered backpressure resulting from the alleged muffler,.. but these carbs have not been touched for an eighth of a century.  I want to replace the float valve needle and seat, gasket, and o-rings.

I notice the kits available are for 1986 to 2001.  Mine is a 2002.  Is there really any reason a simple rebuild kit for a 2001 and older LS650 would not work on a 2002 and newer carb?

So,... anyone got a source for a carb rebuild kit for a 2002 LS650?

On a related subject, I have an ultrasonic cleaner I use for cleaning reloading brass and gun parts.  What do y'all think about disassembling the carbs and cleaning the carb bodies ultrasonically?  This thing sure works well on getting caked on gunk out of cartridge cases, and gun parts.  I would think it to be the cat's meow for getting decades worth of old-gas-varnish out of all the long and tiny passageways in carb bodies.

Thanks for any info.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Carb rebuild kits versus model year, & ultraso
Reply #1 - 05/16/11 at 14:24:40

Ultrasonic is a good method, no problem,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/16/11 at 15:20:11

There's a couple of kits on fleabay.  There's one with just a float valve and gasket for about $20.  It went on sale around the 1st of the year.

The jets have changed over the years (other than main and idle), so I'd be sure to either get a full kit and change all jets, no jets.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Carb rebuild kits versus model year, & ult
Reply #3 - 05/16/11 at 20:16:08

Verslagen1, I saw that same kit for $19, but they want $13 shipping as well.  $32 is too much for $7 worth of parts.

On the other hand, CheapCycleParts wants FORTY NINE DOLLARS for the float valve assembly alone!!!!!!!!

And I still can't figure out what differences there are between a carb for a 2000 bike vs a 2002 bike that would make a carb rebuild kit that says it is for 1986-2001 not work.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 05/17/11 at 05:46:23

I just perused the Suzuki Corp fische for a 2000 carb vs a 2002 carb.  I can see no diff at all.  The diagrams are the same and the parts lists are the same.

http://www.babbittsonline.com/suzuki-motorcycle-parts#/Suzuki/LS650P_%282002%...

http://www.babbittsonline.com/suzuki-motorcycle-parts#/Suzuki/LS650P_%282001%...

Here's another source:

http://www.gssuzuki.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=82427&category=Motor...

It would seem, then, that ebay item 310316626877 would be fine for both bikes.  This kit (K&L 18-5064) is really a basic kit that has only o-rings, bowl gasket, and needle valve assembly.  I am strongly suspecting this kit will fit both a 2000 carb and a 2002 carb, even though it is labeled to fit only up through 2001.

Can anyone give me a warm fuzzy on this?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 05/17/11 at 20:16:38

I guess I am supplying my own warm fuzzy.

I talked with Tony, the tech guy, at K & L in kallyforny.  He says that there is apparently no diff in the carbs for at least a few years past 2001, which is the latest model year their kit (18-5064) fits.

He thinks the kit will work on my 2002 just fine.

IP Logged
RobSutt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tustin, CA
Reply #6 - 01/05/15 at 23:36:04

What kits did you end up using?  Need to get one.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:27:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb rebuild kits versus model year, & ultrasonic

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.