Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Evidence of Ethanol Messing up Carbs ? (Read 557 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: Evidence of Ethanol Messing up Carbs ?
Reply #30 - 05/27/11 at 10:30:39

Maybe this would be worth suggesting to Mythbusters....

i don't think you can answer your question on this forum since all you can get is anecdotal evidence on both sides of the issue.  Even a clean or dirty carb won't really prove anything since there are so many other possible variables.  

In order to change the subject I'd like to assert - based on scientific evidence - that Klotz oil is ......

...wait for it ......

RED!

(And I've been told it smells great)
 Cheesy

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
CaptCraic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 05/27/11 at 11:06:07

It's pretty much alcohol. Like the stuff you can add to a tank of gas to "dry up" water. From what I've been told, it will also dry up any rubber seals it has contact with unless they are made from synthetic rubbers. For that reason it supposedly eats up fuel pumps and injector pumps (not a problem on the bike). I'm assuming that it would eventually eat up the rubber in the carbs and the little rubber boot between the carb and the cylinder but who knows how long that would take. It burns hotter and expands faster but wont expand as far as gasoline so you shouldnt get as good of mileage. I dont see why it would gel up considering its similar to the type of stuff you would put in your cars tank to clean that gummy laquer coating from injectors and throttle bodies. My brother ran it for years in a fuel injected non E85 compatible chevy astro. He never had any ill effects. I bet it would burn hotter and make over heating a potential issue in an air cooled as well as needing to rejet or at least adjust and worse performance. I don't see much of a benefit unless you just dont want to support the oil industry. All my info is second hand or my own thoughts so I could be way off.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 05/27/11 at 11:33:13

just got mybiek back from paint and extended my exhaust by about 10-12" (was running a SE muffler straight off teh header, now have teh extension with 10* bend). I had to tinker with my needle setting a bit and noticed some corrosion much like the picture in my carb. Can't say for sure its from the 10% but thats all we have here. However, the "corrosion" seems to begin before the needle jet/jet needle. Seems to me its more likely due to poor air filtration. Looks like a very ineffecient very tiny sandblaster was used on small spots in the carb throat around the general area of needle/jet. Kn filter, properly oiled and very securely attached. Only had this carb for a year...to see any wear liek this after only about 7k mi is...a bit scary.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #33 - 05/28/11 at 17:19:54

I've read more than once that Federal law forbids the sale of 100% gasoline anymore. So how are these guys selling 100% to those that really believe their 2 strokes are going to blow up w/ out it ?
We find it at dealers of chainsaw and lawnmower equipment here.
Oh no !! You don't suppose that no one has ever tested this stuff for not being 100% ??
I'll tell ya, it wouldn't surprise me one bit ! If they did get caught, just blame it on the guy that sold it to ya. One thing for almost certain, the customers would know it by it running any different !

Oh wow,....there I go again !  Shocked Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #34 - 05/28/11 at 19:44:24

For what it's worth.  Here's a link to a web site that shows gas stations that are supposedly selling ethenol free gas nation wide.  

http://pure-gas.org/

Just click on your state.  In my area it shows 5 that are supposed to be 100% pure gas.  Who knows.  

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #35 - 05/29/11 at 07:39:51

OE wrote on 05/28/11 at 19:44:24:
For what it's worth.  Here's a link to a web site that shows gas stations that are supposedly selling ethenol free gas nation wide.  

http://pure-gas.org/

Just click on your state.  In my area it shows 5 that are supposed to be 100% pure gas.  Who knows.  

Interesting. If true, proves my original point,.....don't believe what you read (reed)

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #36 - 05/29/11 at 07:46:24

If their really not 100 pure gas,Why don't all the stations put it on their pumps.My 1500 Suzuki shop manual says don't use the 10% stuff unless thats all you can get.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 05/29/11 at 08:35:38

Routy wrote on 05/29/11 at 07:39:51:
Interesting. If true, proves my original point,.....don't believe what you read (reed)

Huh
Don't believe what you're reading?
But once you've read it, it's gospel?
Can't believe it.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #38 - 05/29/11 at 09:55:48

Right !.....what ?
Oh, ok. Undecided Grin

Rich
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #39 - 05/29/11 at 10:25:03

bill67 wrote on 05/29/11 at 07:46:24:
If their really not 100 pure gas,Why don't all the stations put it on their pumps.My 1500 Suzuki shop manual says don't use the 10% stuff unless thats all you can get.

About 6 months ago I bought a little EU1000 Hon generator, and the dealer tols me they recommended 100%,.....I asked why,.....he said they see problems from corn gas. But he wouldn't say what problems, said the service guys knew.
I looked thru the book,...it said 10% was fine. I never gave it another thought,......except now w/ near 100 hrs on 10%, it sure runs good.

There I go again,....darn !

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:20:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evidence of Ethanol Messing up Carbs ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.