Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Evidence of Ethanol Messing up Carbs ? (Read 557 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Evidence of Ethanol Messing up Carbs ?
Reply #15 - 05/17/11 at 06:19:19

My brother-in-law used to race go-carts (2 stroke) and bikes (4 stroke) on fuel with nitro added. He had to purge the motors with gas after each run. He showed me a carb that he had forgotten to purge and let sit for a couple of weeks and it was badly corroded. Not sure if it was the methanol or the nitro, but the oil was Klotz racing oil that stayed in suspension. When I used to fly model airplanes I used fuel as well and saw the damage non purged motors sustained. Eventually I went to castor oil, from Klotz as the motors did not need purging, just draining.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #16 - 05/17/11 at 06:34:41

Routy wrote on 05/17/11 at 05:27:19:
Don't worry, no shouting here. I posted for one reason,......to get first hand....solid hard core evidence, and I still ain't got it !

..and you're not going to get solid hardcore evidence outside of a controlled experiment.  For example, someone would have to take two brand new carbs and soak one in gasohol and one in pure gas, side by side.

Otherwise people can just point to other variables as a possible cause of any difference in deterioration... brand of gas, humidity, average sit-time, additives, temperature, etc. and then your discussion is about as valid as an oil war.   Wink  

At least you can be fairly certain of ethanol's short-term effects, like reduced mileage.  A guy tells you he's getting 15 fewer miles out of a tank of gasohol vs. gasoline under very similar conditions.. that's pretty solid.  Unfortunately your question is a lot harder to answer, due to the long timeframe and other variables creeping in.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 05/17/11 at 18:42:33

Here is some first hand, hard core evidence ! I took this off the carb, set it on the floor, and took this photo,.... you can see the gas-ahol is still in it. You can see a little touch of sandy sediment in one spot. What you don't see is any evidence of jelling, or anything else that gasahol is supposed to do to a carb. Even the gasket is in perfect condition. Another pic will follow......if I'm lucky again.

Here I dumped the gas out, wiped it out w/ my hanki, and the hanki is still very white,....only a very slight discoloration. There was absolutely nothing in that bowl that would suggest that gasahol would ever give any kind of a problem whatsoever.

We just saw a carb that has had gasahol running thru it for 4+ yrs, and setting for at least 2 months every winter. What can I say ??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #18 - 05/17/11 at 19:34:07

I see you have the 9-2 experimental carb bowl. Those were made to take the gasohol and still look good.  Grin Seriously, I'm glad you aren't having trouble. I hope mine looks good when I next take it off. It had sticky dark varnish in it, but the previous owner didn't take good care of it according to the mollasses I drained when I changed the oil. I am told there are about 17 different gas mixes or "blends" in the US. Either you're lucky or we may need to figure what gas you use. Again, this has not been the experience of most of this forum.  But I believe you. I always believed you; I just wanted to convince you that it is a widespread problem. I do see a couple of places where corrosion may be starting. They look like pinheads. Can you feel them or is that just casting imperfections? Happy riding. Boofer Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 05/18/11 at 06:17:05

I didn't notice anything like corrosion, nothing more than a slight discoloration in the casting. But after the photo, and R&Ring the main jet for the sole purpose of seeing that it was a 145, I put the bowl right back on, turned it to prime.....while I got another cup of coffee, then fired it up,......still amazes me how good this bike idles and runs !

Not to be defending gasahol, (sorry it sounds like I am) I'm not ! I'm just having a hard time desperately condemming it when "I" don't see the ill effects from it.
Speaking of MPG,.....
I remember  about 5 yrs ago, gas prices about the same as now, on a trip thru the states, at several stations we had a choice of "regular unleaded" or the 10% corn stuff, which was about .10 cheaper ?? don't quote me on that price. But driving a 454 class A motor home....at 9.5 mpg, and not knowing then that the corn stuff got less mpg, I chose the cheap stuff for at least a couple 50 gallon fillups, and all I can say is that "IF" I got less MPG on the corn oil, it wasn't enough to catch my attention, we averaged 9.6 on the whole 6K mile trip, and it never got less than 9.
What can I say ? Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #20 - 05/18/11 at 19:57:00

I hate to do this, but just today WTVA television in Tupelo, Ms had a report on the news show about the use of Ethanol gasoline in tillers, chainsaws, weedeaters and mowers. They interviewed an owner of a small engine shop. He used the words "Phase Seperation" several times and reported that a full 40% of his business is because of ethanol used in small engines. This is a man who sees the problem on a daily basis. He also said that Ethanol gas can go bad in as little as three weeks. I read a couple of articles on Phase Seperation from researchers on the internet. One admitted that high amounts of water induced into 4 stroke engines could cause the engines to quit, but saw no problem with that as it didn't hurt the engine. Anyone who is a researcher and makes a claim like that has lost me. They also said that it would harm 2-stroke engines due to lack of lubrication and recommended additives. Enough Sta-bil to treat 20 gallons will cost at least $6 Here in Ms that's $74 for gas and $6 for additives.  4 tanks of gas with Sta-Bil will cost an extra $24/ month for me, as I use about 20 gallons/wk in my wifes car. All I can tell you is to research Phase Seperation and ask other people. I'm done.   Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 05/20/11 at 07:09:50

Here again, as I've indicated all along, I believe that every little problem is being blamed on gasahol. But yet I can't find any first hand evidence of anything causing problems from it.
This is logging country here,.....1/2 the chainsaw users are hell bent on using 100%, and paying .50 more for it. The other 1/2, using 10% laugh at them because no one shows any first hand.....clear evidence that any problems are actually cause by the 10%. What can I say ?
Untill I drop the bowl on a later model carb that has been running 10% for several years now, and find abnormal ka ka in the bottom, or anything different than the photos I posted above, it is as it appears,...sorry.
Admitt it or not, the gas.....ahol now days doesn't leave the sludge and varnish that it did years ago. I have cleaned many a carb bowls full of ka ka and varnish,.....long before 10% was even on the books. We never see that anymore, much less anything extra from the 10%.

I am surprised that no one has posted a photo of a carb that has been setting since 1985, just to prove what 10% does, and to prove me wrong Grin

Rich
  IP Logged
Johansson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/26/11 at 04:05:28

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 05/26/11 at 04:52:22

Johansson wrote on 05/26/11 at 04:05:28:

Thanks for that article of a guy like myself,....wanted some first hand.....hardcore evidence/information for himself,....even going to the extreem of completely dismantling an engine.
For those that don't read it, this guy found exactly what I found,.....absolutely no ill effects from gasahol running for years in an old Toyota that still has a caburator.
Interestingly tho,......he speaks of a 3% increase in mpg, (and a 3% rise in octane) on gasahol, even tho, he like myself noticed no difference at all.

I know, I know, all this hear/read say means nothing at all,.......but I find it interesting. Wink

Rich
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #24 - 05/26/11 at 05:00:24

Was at the parts counter yesterday and a chap was replacing a clear fuel line that had hardened. It was hardened because of alcohol in the gas. I used to use the same stuff on my model aircraft, and it would harden fairly quickly. I switched to silicone fuel lines and they lasted longer, but would turn punky after a while.
I would not be surprised if alcohol were responsible for some of the problems we have been having with our petcocks and gas cap gaskets hardening.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #25 - 05/26/11 at 05:24:25

arteacher wrote on 05/26/11 at 05:00:24:
Was at the parts counter yesterday and a chap was replacing a clear fuel line that had hardened. It was hardened because of alcohol in the gas. I used to use the same stuff on my model aircraft, and it would harden fairly quickly. I switched to silicone fuel lines and they lasted longer, but would turn punky after a while.
I would not be surprised if alcohol were responsible for some of the problems we have been having with our petcocks and gas cap gaskets hardening.

Arteacher,
How can you be so sure that gasahol causes the hardening ?

I can remember many years  ago (long before corn) those clear plastic fuel lines would not only get hard as a rock, but would varnish up in a very short time...??....can't remember how long.
I do know that clear plastic fuel filters do not varnish near as quick as they once used to, infact I have some in use for years, and they are still mostly clear yet. Not to defend gasahol, but either the plastics, or the fuel has changed for the better in the past years.
Keep in mind that mandatory gasahol has been in effect only a couple years. Anything that happened before that is more than likely not been running gasahol.

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 05/26/11 at 06:05:40

I noticed a 3% decease in mpg in my car since I can only get the 10% stuff just this last year.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #27 - 05/26/11 at 06:46:56

Routy wrote on 05/26/11 at 05:24:25:
arteacher wrote on 05/26/11 at 05:00:24:

Arteacher,
How can you be so sure that gasahol causes the hardening ?

I can remember many years  ago (long before corn) those clear plastic fuel lines would not only get hard as a rock, but would varnish up in a very short time...??....can't remember how long.
I do know that clear plastic fuel filters do not varnish near as quick as they once used to, infact I have some in use for years, and they are still mostly clear yet. Not to defend gasahol, but either the plastics, or the fuel has changed for the better in the past years.
Keep in mind that mandatory gasahol has been in effect only a couple years. Anything that happened before that is more than likely not been running gasahol.

My statement is based on the experience I,v had with fuel lines in model aircraft. The simple fuels are alcohol and castor oil. The alcohol leaches polymers from the plastic a lot faster than gasoline. My first plane used an antique motor that ran on gas, and I used rubber and clear plastic fuel lines on it. The plastic lasted twice as long as with the alcohol engines.
I am not saying we should all wring our hands and gnash our teeth in dis-pare- hell, there is nothing we can do about it anyway, all I am saying is that it is not doing us any good and possibly is doing harm.

IP Logged
Africord
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 05/26/11 at 06:56:40

Okay.  I live in a midwestern state that produces ethanol and was one of the areas that heavily promoted 10% ethanol blends in the early 80s.  I've used these blends my early carb cars, lawnmowers, 2 cycle snowblowers, my old Ninja 250 and have yet to have a problem.  I am diligent in my oil changes and keep up my maintenance.  There may be a carb that can't deal with a 10% ethanol blend, but having sampled Ford, Honda, Pontiac, Triumph (car, not bike), Toro, and Kawasakil, I haven't seen it.  Now its possible that a Mikuni is more sensitive than the Keihlins on my old Ninja, but I will have to see it to believe it.  I know it doesn't destroy aluminum, steel, or brass and there may be a gasket or seal material that can't deal with it, but you would think that it would be resolved by now.  Even allowing for 15 year old bikes, in general, our bikes were manufactured at least 15 years after the introduction of 10% ethanol blends.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #29 - 05/26/11 at 08:56:58

Africord wrote on 05/26/11 at 06:56:40:
Okay.  I live in a midwestern state that produces ethanol and was one of the areas that heavily promoted 10% ethanol blends in the early 80s.  I've used these blends my early carb cars, lawnmowers, 2 cycle snowblowers, my old Ninja 250 and have yet to have a problem.  I am diligent in my oil changes and keep up my maintenance.  There may be a carb that can't deal with a 10% ethanol blend, but having sampled Ford, Honda, Pontiac, Triumph (car, not bike), Toro, and Kawasakil, I haven't seen it.  Now its possible that a Mikuni is more sensitive than the Keihlins on my old Ninja, but I will have to see it to believe it.  I know it doesn't destroy aluminum, steel, or brass and there may be a gasket or seal material that can't deal with it, but you would think that it would be resolved by now.  Even allowing for 15 year old bikes, in general, our bikes were manufactured at least 15 years after the introduction of 10% ethanol blends.

Sounds logical.
Supposedly in the late 70's, all gaskets hoses, o-rings and anything else that had contact w/ fuel, was by law changed to gasahol proof.

Much.....and more likely, all of the stories, (myths) that are related to ethanol, is actually coming from the use of methanol, which really will have all the ill effects of what is falsely related to gasahol.

Now wasn't that a stupid statement,.....because that is only what I'm reading,....and what the hell do "they" know about it ?? Shocked Grin

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:19:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evidence of Ethanol Messing up Carbs ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.