Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Evidence of Ethanol Messing up Carbs ? (Read 557 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Evidence of Ethanol Messing up Carbs ?
05/15/11 at 21:56:35

I hear stories about Ethanol messing up carbs, but I have never seen actual hard core evidence of this happening, nor have I had even one problem w/ any carbed motor I've ever had.

Question,
Does anyone here have any first hand hard core evidence of Ethanol clogging up and/or gelling a carb.
If it wadn't so much trouble, I'd love to remove the carb bowl from my '06 bike and see first hand evidence of any jelling or any other problems from Ethanol.
Can anyone save me the trouble ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Re: Evidence of Ethanol Messing up Carbs ?
Reply #1 - 05/15/11 at 22:15:45

the only thing i have had trouble with is my 2 stroke motors my weed eater locked up and my x father in law had a weed eater lock up and a chainsaw. my father also had a weed eater lock up. they say it has to do with the oil not mixing with the ethanol. the ethanol settles in the bottom sending it into your motor without oil leading to a locked up motor. but i havent heard of anything so far about 4 strokes but im sure it cant be good for them. thats why they are making flex motors now right?

IP Logged
kingxxcole
YaBB Newbies

POW! right in the
kisser.

murfreesboro TN,
Reply #2 - 05/15/11 at 22:31:55

I work for a large auto parts chain in middle TN and have recently seen a rise in sales due to ethanol. we are selling more fuel additives, o2 sensors, catalytic converters, fuel pumps, if it has to do with fuel it sells. I get several calls a day asking were to  purchase non ethanol fuel. Do I think its the ethanol ? yes but that is my opinion I have no hard facts other then the customers I deal with everyday. I use a product called star tron seems to work well but cant tell a difference either way.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 05/16/11 at 01:46:03

Ethanol draws moisture like a female dog. Certain death eventualy on two strokes. Seperates the oil from the gas. The oil floats to the TOP, not the bottom. And if it sets very long you end up with water UNDER the gas. Gels carbs like mad, i hate the stuff, wont use it if i can help it. Thing is stations dont have to list it as ethanol UNLESS it accounts for more then 10-15% of the gas. Most vehicles made before 97 wont last long on even 10% ethanol

Cost me 300 bucks on a log splitter replace the whole moter last fall. Cost me a good chainsaw as well. Local repair shop showed me half a dozen he had to work on because of the stuff. Adding seafoam WILL help. Most additives wont help as their primarily kersene.
I wont run it if theres any other way around it.

Top it all off its one of the reasons your groceries are going up as well. Ethanol is a BAD Joke but noboides laughing except the guys getting rich off the fools idea.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 05/16/11 at 04:14:00

I can't say for sure I've always use 100% gas til last year,The only way now I can get 100% gas is high grade at 50 cents higher price which I want do,I just noticed some stations regular say up to 10% ethanol where the higher grades say 10%.So it seems to me at times you might get 5% or less ethanol.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/16/11 at 05:49:07

The accelerator pump diaphragm on the Kawasaki W 650 died sitting in it. Now, when its parked, I drain the bowl on that carb. That thing is about the size of a quarter & costs about 60 dollars..
Ethanol in gas is just a bad idea. the whole program was a bad idea..
May Al Gore burn in hell,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 05/16/11 at 06:02:19

Hey JOG, its 34 degree here this morning,Al Gore has got the warming under full control.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 05/16/11 at 08:10:57

Maybe that's their way to get you to give up on combustion engine powered vehicles and get you to buy electric powered vehicles. An evil plan to let the combustion engines die out.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 05/16/11 at 09:18:33

But it isn't hurting the engine, its just messing up the fuel,....supposedly. But excluding myself that has never had trouble w/ even my little 10 yr old 2 stroke tiller, why no problems w/ fuel injection,....even vehicles setting for long periods of time,......even my lawn mowers give no problem.

But I am going to take the bowl off my s40, and see just whats in there for myself. Mite as well get rid of trouble before it is ??

I recently had to replace the fuel pump on my '98 454 MH,......but no evidence of a problem w/ Ethanol,......it just got tired....motor wouldn't run anymore. IMO, there just has to be more answers,......more to this than is being told,.....why some have problems,.....and some/most don't.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #9 - 05/16/11 at 12:50:45

You'll have to explain to me what Al Gore has to do with Republican farmers and their state and federal legislators pushing ethanol to get corn prices higher and develop ethanol plants, despite the fact it takes gallons of water, diesel and gasoline to produce and deliver a gallon of subsidized fuel.  Check the states producing ethanol and see how they voted the last few elections.
One problem with old engines is ethanol eats the rubber in gaskets, carbs, fuel pumps, and fuel lines, plus fuel separation when fuel containing ethanol sits.  Yamaha made it plain that my new outboard will not be under warranty if I use fuel with any more than 10% ethanol, and they would prefer none at all.  
In WY, NE, and SD fuel with ethanol is said at various pumps to be "enriched", despite the fuel producing less power and only the producers and distributors getting "enriched".

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #10 - 05/16/11 at 13:08:03

Routy, run 10% or more ethanol in a motor not designed to run on it and you WILL burn up the valves and pistons among other things. Gummed carbs are the least of the issue. Go talk to a small enigine repair shop and/or a couple of mom n pop garages. Have a look at the inside of a motor run on ethanol.
Or just do a search and see what the manufacturers say themselves about it.
UH, lets keep in mind it was a democrat house and senate that passed the d@mn ethanol bill, not rep.
As for the water if i remember correctly it takes on the order of a 1000 gallons of water to make one gallon of ethanol not to mention the energy used. The waters not fit to be reclaimed into the drinking water system afterward either. Had a BIG TO DO around here about a local plant to go in. It didnt because of that.
Only way ill use any amount of ethanol is if theres no other way to get home. Then its getting seafoam dumped in with it.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #11 - 05/16/11 at 16:56:12

This dude on thumpertalk thinks ethanol caused his carb to corrode:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=966068

Marine grade sta-bil is supposed to prevent this sort of thing when running gasohol..

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 05/16/11 at 17:07:40

The thing with Sea Foam you also have some oil in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 05/16/11 at 17:58:23

Routy, this is not a challenge to a shouting match, but in you I see someone who marches to the beat of a different drummer. I see that, because I do, too. The evidence against Ethanol is overwhelming. Look inside your lawnmower gas tank or any fittings gasohol runs through. We don't need a congressional hearing "complete with 8x10 glossies with circles and arrows on the back explaining each." (Anybody catch that?) Call your local power company boys--not the office--the ones who work on the right-of-way. Call anybody you know who owns a lawn service. Just ask them. You will get an ear full. I can be wrong at any time, but I hate explaining things that I settled years ago by plain old anectdotal evidence. Again, not trying to be mean, but I am giving you my answer. No Ethanol when I can find gas without it.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 05/17/11 at 05:27:19

Don't worry, no shouting here. I posted for one reason,......to get first hand....solid hard core evidence, and I still ain't got it !
Over years, I have a lot more first hand...hard....see w/ my own eyes.... evidence that this gasahol stuff is not causing the damage that many are saying it is. I have looked in gas tanks, and look at clear plastic fuel lines, and overhauled carbs that this stuff has been running thru for years, and I don't see any of it.

Today, I am going to get the bowl off my '07 s40 carb 6500 miles, never been off before. I got 2 screws loose last nite, I'll get the other 2 off today, and I'll see for myself whats in it besides gas. There very well may be jell in it. But trust me,....w/o touching it, I will take a close up photo as good as I am capable of, and post it here. If by per chance,........there is no evidence of using gasahol in it, there just may be a shouting match. Angry Grin

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:14:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evidence of Ethanol Messing up Carbs ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.