Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another Raptor Petcock Convert (Read 391 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Another Raptor Petcock Convert
Reply #15 - 05/15/11 at 12:06:19

If it were the vac line, there are 4 little holes and a rubber valve that it'd have to go thru.

The fire there was too big to be from a trickle.

WWW   IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #16 - 05/15/11 at 12:24:06

ummmm.....to each his own.   Smiley

Great thing is, all the info to correct it is right here. So choose whichever side of the fence you wish to fall on.  

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 05/15/11 at 14:20:19

We are jest playing around a little bit on a slow Sunday afternoon, there is no direct evidence that that fire came from any exact thing in particular.

Other than the gas tank that is ....

Heck, once the little dribble from the vac line caught the vapor in the carb vent lines on fire there was plenty of exothermic heat from the gas in the float bowl to get the seat foam and then the whole gas tank involved, and from there the silly tree next to it decided it wanted to play too.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 05/15/11 at 14:26:34

I bought a new stock petcock half a year ago. It runs flawless. Would it run faster with a raptor petcock?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 05/15/11 at 14:30:23

I know, just playin' along.

Heck, itza squid, probably fuel injected, fuel pump one the bottom of the tank, and no petcock at all.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 05/15/11 at 14:35:33

No, not while your $80 new stock petcock is practically new anyway.

But, given another 5-10 years (once the vac diaphragm gets stiff or splits again) then yeah, I think a 5-10 year old Raptor would still be doing excellently (the same exact same way a new Raptor would be doing) while the $80 spent on the replacement stock petcock would be acting about like the original one did, giving your similar troubles to those which caused you to replace it in the first place.

Stock vac petcocks are unreliable -- you are tossing good money after bad performance in the long term.

===============

I think they said the bike was a BMW, but the kids with the camera phone are idiots who very well might not know a squid from a beemer.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 05/15/11 at 18:32:38

I replaced it because it turned really hard. The new one turned nice, for about a month.And the new one now turns about as hard as the old one. Grin

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 05/15/11 at 22:50:30

Well, are you just kiddin around or are you's just a bunch of ignorant  kids ?

The reality of it all is that the diaphram in that petcock is no different than any other diaphram material, whether it be in a carb or a fuel pump, or any other component that uses diaphram material,....such as accelerator pumps in some automotive carbs, and therefore are not going to give any more trouble.....any sooner than any other of those fore mentioned components, and therefore will last anywhere between  10 and 20-30 yrs.
Fact is in the first 10-15 yrs, most all the problems is from the vacuum hose deteriorating, not from a ruptured diaphram. So quit you're dam whinin and snibblin about the petcock, when in reality it is no more troublesome than any fuel hose on these bikes. And when the vacuum hose get to the age where it mite split ends, go buy a pc of fuel hose that will last for 20 yrs !

Along w/ mine I know of 3 other bikes from '04 to '07 that have never touched the vac line or much less the petcock, all are still original and working fine.
Just amazes how any type of bad running  problem out there right away gets blamed on the petcock, and most those times it turns out to not be !
14 million of these bikes out there, some near 30 yrs old, and you kids snibble and whine about a petcock that fails now and then on a 20 yr old bike.
Ok ok, I'm just kiddin around on a sunday evening too Angry

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 05/16/11 at 10:03:25

I vote for ignorant kids, personally

But at least you aren't bored any more ....

.... and you got to play with your old WWI M1A1 to see if you can get it to shoot out as far as your more modern M2 will go spray.

(old toys are always a lot of fun to take out and play with on occasion)

And BOOOOO!!  it's Monday, so we all gotta go back to work

(no more fun)

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 05/16/11 at 10:11:33

I change the vaccum hose once a year, no matter what. The end near the cylinder head gets a lot of heat and starts cracking after a while. I buy 3/16" fuel hose at O'Reilly's and it's about a dollar per foot. Cheap, easy preventative maintenance.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #25 - 05/16/11 at 10:19:46

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/16/11 at 10:03:25:
  it's Monday, so we all gotta go back to work

(no more fun)

Grin

Speak for yourself, this is the start of my weekend.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #26 - 05/16/11 at 18:29:23

FWIW I am a convert. Just need to get a little money in the bank. It seems like I put most of my motorcycle money in the gas tank of my car or truck. But what someone pointed out on here is that my stock petcock is probably not flowing the full amount of gas it could be. Sometimes I need slapping, but common sense usually brings me around.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #27 - 08/05/11 at 08:09:57

Oldfeller referred to "The reason that they give for this is "gasoline in the oil" which does happen when a carburetor float malfunctions.   Funny thing, gas in the oil seems to happen more often with the stock petcock than it does with the Raptor replacement."

While we don't want gas dribbling down into the crankcase, it ain't no big deal unless the crankcase is overflowing with the stuff.  In arctic aviation, a "technique" used sometimes by bush pilots is to deliberately mix some gas in the oil before the motor is shut down.  This lowers the viscosity of the stuff in the crankcase so the motor will spin over a lot easier in the morning.

After the motor warms up, the gas evaporates off and leaves the oil pretty much like it was.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:18:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Raptor Petcock Convert

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.