Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trunk based motorcycle "trailer" (Read 383 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Trunk based motorcycle "trailer"
05/14/11 at 08:35:11

Warning from the Future !!!   (from after the fact)

This towing your bike out of your open trunk idea isn't a very good one.   As a matter of fact, it sucks big time ....

The issues focus around the high center of gravity of the towed bike and the fact that going around a turn causes the bike to tilt.   In the trunk position the center of gravity is so high that the bike tilts over and tries to hit the bumper when making a simple 90 degree turn.

This roll over from the trunk position is so severe the bike doesn't always manage to straighten back up all the way once the turn is over.

Lastly, the Harbor Freight bike chock isn't tight enough on the front tire to support this roll over shite.  There is room for the tire to slide over in the chock and when this happens any compression on the front forks wants to relieve itself and the result is a strong sideways binding condition between bike, car, chock and the front wheel assembly.

The front wheel assembly is what loses out in this scenario, you can/will warp your front wheel some during a turn/tilt over episode.   This results in time spent spoke truing your front tire and whapping your rotor with a BFH and a block of wood  to remove the run out of rotor and rim.   And all this damage was done at barely moving speeds, I shudder to think of what road speeds would do to a front wheel (rip the sucker apart, most likely).

If you wish to pursue these sorts of ideas, try using Verslagen's trick of removing the front wheel and hard mounting the front axle --- and try to keep the center of gravity as low as possible to keep the tilt monster at bay.

Undecided

Idea is rated Dumb, Dubious and Dangerous ....  don't do it unless you like fiddling with spokes, truing wheels etc

========================================

Before I spend any real effort or $$$ money chasing down this idea, I thought I'd let the brain trust here on the list poke holes in the basic concepts (if there are holes are available to poke).

General Concept:

Open your trunk on your normal family sedan all the way ....

Slip an inverted wooden "U" shaped channel over the bottom lip of the trunk ....  

(bolt it down with a couple of bolts to make sure it can't jump up and go anywhere when you hit a bump, etc.)

On top of that inverted "U" firmly mount a Harbor Freight motorcycle chock ....

Now, get a buddy to help you lift the front wheel of your Savage into the chock, tie it down to the chock and the car such that the front wheel isn't going anywhere and restrain the handle bars so they can't tilt or rotate (compress the front shocks at least half way).  Front wheel is restrained, handle bars are held true to the front wheel, mobile part of the front end is fixed relative to the trunk but body of the bike is completely free to rotate and tilt as road conditions require it to move.

The bike is held front wheel high at about a 35 degree angle, the oil in the sump has shifted backwards and the clutch/small pulley output shaft and associated gear clusters (which spins on large ball bearings BTW on all shafts) is under water in an oil bath.   Bike is in neutral, real wheel is free spinning but will be turning the same rpm it would if ridden at the same speed it is being towed, as will the belt and small pulley.

Throw a rolled up sleeping bag over the front fender and tie down the trunk good so it won't be flopping around at highway speeds.

Make the trip up to the Dragon driving 80+ mph on the interstates sitting in complete luxury & comfort in an AC'd automobile.

Have a car up there in case we need a beer run (or a bleeder run).

Roll Eyes

So far,  DON'T HIT POT HOLES, DON'T BACK UP and DON'T TURN SUPER SHARP is the only flies in the ointment I've come up with.

« Last Edit: 06/04/11 at 04:36:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Trunk based motorcycle "trailer"
Reply #1 - 05/14/11 at 17:39:37

If you have a buddy to help then this is what I'd rather do...
drop the front wheel out and bolt a plate in it's place.
the plate get dropped into the trunk and retained however you choose.

Advantages:
1. the front axle is just a little higher than normal, when you turn the tilting won't be nearly as bad.
2. more clearance between bumper and bike.

Disadvantage:
1. you have to remove and replace the front wheel.

Thanks OF... I'm going to try this with my towing rig.

And you can avoid tilting excessively by compressing the forks more, it just puts more side load on the tire.

WWW   IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/14/11 at 18:09:52

So why not just make a hitch and weld it to the frame of the car, buy or make a 'hitch hiker'  and mount it on the hitch??

I'd rather do this

Than do this....because you may end up pinching the bike  with the car.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/15/11 at 10:19:34

Why not a bumper hitch system?

Ain't got one, they want $350 to put one on the car.   Then the gizmo cost $259 plus shipping.

Let's see, the chock costs $39.99 less a 20% off coupon and the wood is whatever a 14 foot long 2x6 would cost (got the glue & screws and bolts already).

Mount the thing on the back lip of the trunk -- gives you a little more turning room compared to your little picture.   Going inside the trunk takes out all your linear clearance to the frame ....  centering on the trunk lip gives you "more" room but not a gracious plenty by anybody's guesstimate.

Taking the front wheel off and using an axle mount would work, but then you'd have to put the wheel back on and with my luck I'd find I'd left my front brake pads scattered somewhere along the roadside on the way up ....

Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/15/11 at 19:37:50

And a wheel chock is $39.99 less 20% coupon and steel cost whatever per pound at the scrap yard. I have nuts, bolts or welders, rods.....or get a truck and make a ramp.....

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 05/16/11 at 04:51:27

You can't lose the brake pads. The pin in the middle holds them in.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #6 - 05/16/11 at 06:10:38

I spent about $100 to buy a hitch for my Wrangler because I figured it would come in handy anyway.  Then I got a variation on a hitch-hauler on Ebay for around $100.  Very handy.   Most of those dirt bike carriers that get the whole bike off the ground are rated up to at least 400 pounds so the LS650 should be ok on one those too.

IP Logged
GRetz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/16/11 at 09:40:50

I like the hitch idea better

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/17/11 at 21:17:17

$100 for this, $100 for that -- heck, eventually it adds up to some money

Go buy a truck ?    I jest love these people who have lots & lots of money -- I can remember being one of them back in the day when America had manufacturing plants making power tools and such like stuff right here in the USA ....

Today's reality sez ....

$31 for the chock
$12 for a 16 foot 2x6
$25 for misc hardware, nuts, screws, & stuff

(and that includes a $4 tube of new Loctite brand, 4x stronger than liquid nails super duper polyurethane based construction adhesive -- the tube glue stuff has gotten a lot better since the last time you looked)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 05/17/11 at 22:30:17

First off, if you've got a buddy, have him drive a station wagon full of "adult" beverages and just ride the bike there.

I got one of those 4'X4' bolt together little red trailer kits, bolted a 6' long 2"X8" board to it, and put a bike rail on that to haul my Sav. They're rated to around a grand so weight is no problem. I've hauled my bike back and forth across MN and ND with nary a problem. As a bonus, with a 4'X4" chunk of 1/2" plywood for a floor on the trailer, it only weighs about a hundred pounds, so empty you don't even feel it behind the bike. If you've taken the trouble to make a hitch for the 650 that is.

I will say that with the 8" wheels you don't want to haul a much heavier or taller bike on it. I hauled my new to me 650 pound or so '79 GS 850 and it felt and looked like it wanted to lean that little trailer up on one wheel in turns.

This was about as cheap as you'll ever get for hauling a Savage. With the added bonus of not having to put all those extra miles on the back wheel assembly.

Jack

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/18/11 at 04:16:07

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/17/11 at 21:17:17:

$100 for this, $100 for that -- heck, eventually it adds up to some money

Go buy a truck ?    I jest love these people who have lots & lots of money -- I can remember being one of them back in the day when America had manufacturing plants making power tools and such like stuff right here in the USA ....

Today's reality sez ....

$31 for the chock
$12 for a 16 foot 2x6
$25 for misc hardware, nuts, screws, & stuff

(and that includes a $4 tube of new Loctite brand, 4x stronger than liquid nails super duper polyurethane based construction adhesive -- the tube glue stuff has gotten a lot better since the last time you looked)

nothing to do with lots and lots of money.....I don't own a car. I own a 67 Falcon van. Most folks that I know that have a bike also have a truck. And it cost me less than $100 to build a 'hitch hiker' to tow the bike behind the van. 4'x8' trailers are less than $200 without the floor.
And you must also understand that in some places, the police will stop you because they are clueless on what you have done and it may lead to an 'improper towing/transport' ticket. No different then when we used to tow cars with a strap or chain.....Good ole 'Redneck Engineering' isn't always appreciated!

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/18/11 at 06:35:28

Check with salvage yards in your area & you may find a good deal on a hitch. I bought one to modify for my old VW pickup for $10, & I found a 12000lb. frame mount hitch for my current truck for $20.

I towed my 73 RD-350 by pulling the front wheel & using a plate with a pipe welded for the axle to go through that fit under my hitch ball.
For my 74 XS650 I made a bracket that bolted to my bumper & used the ends of a 55 gal. drum the front wheel sat in.
My 70 Norton Commando was carried in a piece of 4" recangular tubing with slots cut for the wheels to fit in that bolted to the back bumper of my panel truck.
I didn't spend much money on any of them, but I can weld. Always had a "cracker box" or a friend with one, learned to weld when I was 14.

Point is, there are a lot of ways to get the job done. Use your imagination!!! Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 05/18/11 at 17:21:45

Imagination ??

Never had any .... always been stopped short of all my goals by a stone lack of imagination.  

Shame about that lack of imagination, I always wished I had some.

Some folks don't have friendly junkyards that let them walk around inside them lookin' and thinkin' -- I surely do miss being able to stroll around letting solutions come to me from the available bits and pieces.

Some folks don't have a welder.  Some people don't have a solid bumper to work with.   Some folks have a unibody sedan which it seems has nothing solid to it at all.

But everybody has a Lowes near by that has 2x6" lumber and they do have a circular saw or a hand saw that they can cut wood with.

Drywall screws & this newfangled polywuppie 4x stronger than wood Loctite construction adhesive means you can assemble a complex structural framework that you can attach to the lip of your trunk (the one place the car's unibody always goes in a fairly strong double wall configuration in a place where you can get to it and use it)

Being a wee little bit of an "overkill" nature, I've got 4 each 3/8-16 bolts tapped into the unibody using a tapered punched hole that was tapped and 2 each 3/8" lag bolts 8" long coming from the inside 2x6 piece, piercing and threading through both sides of the steel unibody trunk lip and stopping jest short of breaking through the outermost 2x6 piece.

She's in there for the duration, but can be unbolted and removed inside of 3 minutes.

As for North Carolina cops, the rules state that for unlighted daytime towage or for items protruding from the rear of your vehicle, you have to have a red flag flapping in the wind from the end of things.  

And the bike has a tag on it already and if it made a cop happy I could turn the lights on for a little bit until he went his way and I went mine.

The bike does not block the standard turn and brake lights on the car, BTW.

Grin   Grin    Grin

Total cost of the chock, the wood and all the hardware stuff was less than $65, construction time was about 6 hours spread out over several days (drying time for the adhesive mostly).    

Only change to the car is six small holes going through the carpeting -- no biggie at all since the closed trunk lid covers all of them from sight and that means no noticeable change to the car's appearance.   Put in and take out times are about 3 minutes, so it qualifies as a "quick change" system.

« Last Edit: 05/18/11 at 22:33:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/19/11 at 03:23:27

Not taking anything away from you at all 'feller....
Some do have a unibody...one of the first, besides Chrysler and AMC, and some don't have a trunk!

I didn't get the 'imagination' comment at all.....works for me.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 05/19/11 at 05:14:50

Have you test-fitted the bike in it yet?  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:32:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trunk based motorcycle "trailer"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.