Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY powder coat VS DIY paint (Read 135 times)
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
DIY powder coat VS DIY paint
05/13/11 at 05:26:58

Is it worth the effort to start powder coating ! Is it that much better than paint or is it just the "new black"

WWW   IP Logged
NameNotInUse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: DIY powder coat VS DIY paint
Reply #1 - 05/13/11 at 06:07:56

From Wiki (only because I was curious as well):
Quote:
Advantages and disadvantages

There are several advantages of powder coating over conventional liquid coatings:
  • Powder coatings emit zero or near zero volatile organic compounds (VOC).
  • Powder coatings can produce much thicker coatings than conventional liquid coatings without running or sagging.
  • Powder coating overspray can be recycled and thus it is possible to achieve nearly 100% use of the coating.
  • Powder coating production lines produce less hazardous waste than conventional liquid coatings.
  • Capital equipment and operating costs for a powder line are generally less than for conventional liquid lines.
  • Powder coated items generally have fewer appearance differences between horizontally coated surfaces and vertically coated surfaces than liquid coated items.

A wide range of specialty effects is easily accomplished which would be impossible to achieve with other coating processes.
While powder coatings have many advantages over other coating processes, there are some disadvantages to the technology. While it is relatively easy to apply thick coatings which have smooth, texture-free surfaces, it is not as easy to apply smooth thin films. As the film thickness is reduced, the film becomes more and more orange peeled in texture due to the particle size and glass transition temperature (TG) of the powder. Also powder coatings will break down when exposed to UV rays between 5 to 10 years. On smaller jobs, the cost of powder coating will be higher than spray painting.
For optimum material handling and ease of application, most powder coatings have a particle size in the range of 30 to 50 μm and a TG around 200°C[citation needed]. For such powder coatings, film build-ups of greater than 50 μm may be required to obtain an acceptably smooth film. The surface texture which is considered desirable or acceptable depends on the end product. Many manufacturers actually prefer to have a certain degree of orange peel since it helps to hide metal defects that have occurred during manufacture, and the resulting coating is less prone to showing fingerprints.
There are very specialized operations where powder coatings of less than 30 micrometres or with a TG below 40°C are used in order to produce smooth thin films. One variation of the dry powder coating process, the "Powder Slurry" process, combines the advantages of powder coatings and liquid coatings by dispersing very fine powders of 1–5 micrometre particle size into water, which then allows very smooth, low film thickness coatings to be produced.
Powder coatings have a major advantage in that the overspray can be recycled. However, if multiple colors are being sprayed in a single spray booth, this may limit the ability to recycle the overspray.

Other than it appearing to be slightly more forgiving than a rattle can, I'm not sure it is anything more than the new black. Perhaps the UV issue but I'd hope that 5-10 time span is constant exposure. My bike is garaged and I would hope it would last longer than 5-10 years. Either way, I like the look quite a bit.

Cost wise, if you're doing it a lot then it's probably better. While wiki mentions it, I know it is not worth it to buy the supplies for one bike unless you're dead set on doing it yourself.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/13/11 at 07:15:52

DangMan wrote on 05/13/11 at 05:26:58:
Is it worth the effort to start powder coating ! Is it that much better than paint or is it just the "new black"

I have trouble powder coating in colder humid weather,....powder wants to clump together. In warm weather works great. And my oven is too small, but it works for small parts.

I read of some powder coating larger stuff using a portable infrared heater to melt it on.

Powder coating is much much,......20x tougher than any paint, and 10x thicker. I had a homebuilt recumbent bike and a tadpole trike powder coated 12 yrs ago,......still looks good as day one.

If I was doing a MC frame, I'd powder coat it ......no brainer ! Nothing as bad as a painted frame thats 1/2 messed up just from from assy.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #3 - 05/14/11 at 10:35:11

Maby I should look into that PC then !
Anybody know where I can get the materials for that here in Europe ?
Think the shipping cost will add up if i get it from US

WWW   IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #4 - 05/15/11 at 07:06:59

Have been using a day or two looking for what to buy !
Its almost impossible to get it here in europe ! The ones I found were more expenseve then my bike Smiley A bit out of the price range !
I found the one thats called "hotcoat" from eastwood.
http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-elite-powder-coat-kit.html

Is it worth the money ? Have anyone tryed it ?

WWW   IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/15/11 at 11:46:47

Same boat as you Dangman, but from Canada.

Just bought this gun:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320688151354&ssPageName=STR...

and 3 lbs of powder from www.powderbuythepound.com.

Gun cost me $120, and the powder cost me $60 (CAD of course).

I see the Hotcoat stuff all over the place but read some bad reviews abotu it, so I decided to try the Harbor Freight gun.

Ill post in a few weeks when they arrive  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 05/15/11 at 11:57:02

My friend who makes his living painting motorcycles says he'd much rather powdercoat frames. Besides being more durable, the electrostatic application technique makes it easier to get into all the nooks and crannies. Powdercoat can hide some minor flaws since it goes on thicker. You can also get a smooth, glossy finish without having to sand all the aforementioned nooks and crannies.  The downsides are it takes a little more prep (media blasting, masking areas that can't be blasted or coated) and afterward you'll probably need to clean out some holes and threads and shave the coating down in areas that have close tolerances.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #7 - 05/15/11 at 12:30:51

Looking foreward to hearing about your experinces Smiley
I took a look at  www.powderbuythepound.com WOW they got many difrent colours and textures ! Maby this just is the way foreward !

WWW   IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/15/11 at 12:50:27

I checked out with 1lb of Satin Black for $10.99 + $24 shipping.

I was thinking $34/lb is a lot, so I added a few more colors to combine shipping. Getting 3lbs for $60, not bad.

MAC man here sells half lb for $15, so I think its a really good price. Having said their prices are fair, if the quality is up to par Ill be making a much bigger order from them!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 05/15/11 at 17:38:28

Myself, if I had to do a MC frame, I think I'd have it commercially done.
Unless of course I had an oven big enough to handle a frame ?

But then you still have the sand blasting to do. Not that you can't powder coat w/o sand blasting, but the finish will be much nicer if it is blasted/stripped to bare metal.

So if I have to pay to have it blasted, then I've already paid for most of the commercial PC price,.......just as well have them do it all.

But just my own ideas.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 05/15/11 at 18:03:45

After I totally disassembled my bike down to a naked frame, I started seeing little spots of rust or corrosion at some of the joints and welds, like around the swingarm pivots. If I were to try painting or powdercoating without blasting first, those areas would continue to deteriorate. So I'm going to have the PC guy let me take a look at the frame after it has been blasted, to see if anything needs to be repaired first.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #11 - 05/16/11 at 09:39:05

The frame would be a bit large to process, but there is many small parts that could go into a cenventionel oven !
Besides, I made my own sandblaster and cabin some time ago, so I should be coverd there to

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:17:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DIY powder coat VS DIY paint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.