Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to remove exhaust? (Read 116 times)
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How to remove exhaust?
05/12/11 at 21:19:33

I want to remove the complete exhaust system, pipe and muffler, but can't figure out how. The Suzuki shop maunual says to take out the two bolts at the cylinedr head, and undo two nuts back by the swing arm. That's all. But there is obviously a lot more holding things in place. Any ideas?
And by the way, compared to shop manuals I've had for Hondas and Kawasakis, this one is not very helpful.
Dave

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: How to remove exhaust?
Reply #1 - 05/12/11 at 21:37:59

after you remove those, remove the heat shield by the foot peg and it should come right off.

WWW   IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #2 - 05/12/11 at 21:42:35

If I'm not mistaken that's it. And Your right the Clymer isn't the best but with it and help from this forum you should be able to pretty much do anything (within reason).  Just take off the bolts then pull the exhaust from the engine.

IP Logged
blackhalo

Pure Unadulterated
Radness!

Bradenton, FL
Reply #3 - 05/15/11 at 19:51:05

Actually, on my '09 there seems to be 10 bolts that hold the entire exhaust system in place... from tip-to-tip.
I have a Clymer 1986-2007... if you look at page #207 you'll see the trickiest of the bolt/clamps in question are around the Rear Heat Shield... #10 and #18 particularly.

There's also two little bolts further down, holding the BIG FLARE part of the Rear Heat Shield to the actual muffler (both are hard to reach)...
and these two little bolts aren't numbered in the Clymer (in fact, they only show ONE of them, but there IS two bolts).

I've been working on this all day, and it's been difficult... the main release bolt that would make this easy is #10...
but it's obscured by the Clutch cover... it's visible, you can almost reach it... but it's slightly UNDER the Clutch cover, so a socket won't fit.

Strangely, I can't remove the clutch case without removing the exhaust first... so it's kind of a Catch22.

The exhaust system mount is by-far the most confounding thing I've found so far... everything else has been easy, forseeable...
but even when I get the back tire off tomorrow, I still can't see how I'm going to get access to some of these bolts.

Undecided

Turn on, Tune up, Rock out!
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/15/11 at 20:53:45

The heat shield is attached to the exhaust.
So remove the 6 aforementioned bolts and the header and muffler come off together.  then you can remove the heat shield.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 05/16/11 at 03:46:01

Take the heat shield at the right foot peg off first, then loosen the header bolts, then undo the two bolts on the exhaust, then remove the header bolts. Wham bam thank you ma'am, and your done. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:18:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to remove exhaust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.