Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best way to paint? (Read 246 times)
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Best way to paint?
05/12/11 at 10:25:09

Just stripped the tank and tins down, and now Im debating on how to paint them.

I think the tins are flawless so Id like to powdercoat.

However the tank has a ding in it that needs bondo. I plan on just spray bombing it, unless anyone has any better ideas?

Whats the best way to spray paint it?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Best way to paint?
Reply #1 - 05/12/11 at 13:48:59

There are some threads here or in the technical section that explain how to do a great paint job with a "rattle can".  They include pictures and I am amazed by the quality of the work.  Preparation is everything.  The best way to search this forum (I think) is to go into rubber side down or the tech section and copy the domain name from the top of the browser.  Then go to Google, click on advanced search, and paste that name into the line that says search this domain only and of course put in some key words in the space provided for those.  Also look in the contents section of the tech section, some people went to a great deal of trouble to categorize much of the material here.  The stuff on this forum is amazing, the best I've ever seen.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 05/12/11 at 16:22:05

The internal search function here [Top bar, home, help, "SEARCH",...] works well too, as long as you remember to change the time-frame from the default "week" to a longer time period.  "All posts" takes a bit longer but you get all the results.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/12/11 at 16:28:55

Id search a different way.Id search the phone book,, for a painter,, cuz I Kaint Paint,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #4 - 05/12/11 at 16:43:26

A man has got to know his limitations.   Grin

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/12/11 at 17:29:37

BrettKeiselsbeard wrote on 05/12/11 at 16:43:26:
A man has got to know his limitations.   Grin

Correct O Mundo..& learning where they are has cost me time, $$$ & pain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/12/11 at 19:25:45

gotta try ya never know where your hidden talents are

spary cans can do a good job, preparation and good paint.  From what I have seen, you get what you pay for as far as paint quality and amount of paint solids in the spray.

Rustoleum has been good for me.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/12/11 at 19:32:44

Rustoleum self-etching primer. Scuff with red scotch brite pad. Spray a couple thin coats of Rustoleum auto primer. Scuff with red scotch brite pad.

Color coats? I've successfully used Krylon, Rustoleum, tractor paints from bomb cans. You want at least a 70 degree day. Thin coat, allow to flash (get dull) repeat. At least 3 times, followed by a nice wet coat.

Sprayed my 69 Dodge pickup in 2004 or 2005 with Rustoleum from bomb cans. Still has color. Resprayig my 98 Savage with Krylon, Rustoleum did not have the right shades of cream or orange. Will spray my 49 Dodge truck with Valspar tractor enamel from Tractor Supply Company.

Spray paint can be easy or your worst nightmare. Follow the respray times on the can to the letter. Or you WILL be sanding to bare metal and starting over. Krylon Crystal Clear is good stuff, avoid triple thick clear gloss glaze coat like the plague.

I'm a semi-retired custom painter, used to spray catalyzed urethanes, now use mostly bomb cans.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 05/13/11 at 04:32:31

If you do use rattle cans use good paint, spray across and continue into the air with each pass. Don't stop at the end of the piece you are painting. There is a handy gadget to snap on the top of rattle cans. It costs about $4 at Wal Mart and provides a handle for better control and less hand cramps.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #9 - 05/13/11 at 05:59:06

Try typing rattle can in youtube, lots of vids Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/13/11 at 10:42:15

what if a guy tried to powdercoat the tank as well?

I was told you can 'bondo' that dent with lead? anyone have luck or hear of this?

would LOVE the durability of powdercoat on a tank

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/13/11 at 11:19:50

http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/powder-coating-forum/87394-jb-weld.html

looks like JB weld holds up, lead is the old school way, and metal-2-metal is literally a metal bondo.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 05/14/11 at 01:36:22

You can do a very nice job using a can of spray paint. After you bondo and prime, lay on a thin coat of paint. You do not need much. Just a base coat. Sand lightly and then comes the hardest part. The clear coating. Also can be done with a spray can. Do not lay the clear coating on too thick. A fine mist works the best. Allow each coat (3 or 4 total) to dry completly before lightly sanding  between coats. Allow a couple of weeks before waxing. it's not hard at all just a bit time consuming. Here is a web site that sells our paint.

http://www.colorrite.com/

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 05/14/11 at 16:02:57

Colorrite is also known as color wrong. Great for a full respray, not worth a hoot when trying to color match a repair.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 05/15/11 at 12:54:00

Not sure that is always true.  The paint I bought for my Green 2000 Savage was a very good match.  I've purchased the stuff at 2 separate times and painted both fenders.  Very good match.
I imagine that mismatches occur sometimes.  Especially when matching certain colors that may fade with time, etc.  But for me they did well.
The paint is a good quality and the spray pattern is consistent too (for rattle can paint).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:16:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best way to paint?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.