Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leaking Oil, Stalling, Bad Idle, Whistling Exhaust (Read 206 times)
Russian Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Leaking Oil, Stalling, Bad Idle, Whistling Exhaust
05/10/11 at 19:23:43

Ok I have quite a few problems with my bike that I really would like to fix. Lets start with a basic description of the bike.

Its a 1999 Savage with 8400 miles on it. It has all stock parts, no modifications whatsoever. I got it very cheap from a friend who rode it since it was new and has been the only owner. It has been sitting the garage for a very long time. The first thing I did when I got it was clean out the carbs and play with the pilot screw to reduce the backfire. Everything worked out well and the bike was running perfectly except for it was a bit jerky at first and second gears and engine braking is no fun because it is also jerky. I changed the oil to valvoline 4-stroke 10w40 motorcycle oil.

After a while the oil started leaking out onto the exhaust pipe and smoking. Then I was riding at about 60mph enjoying myself and winking at the hot college girls on the road when the darn thing lost all power gradually then backfired multiple times and stalled out. I stopped for a while and checked some things and started the bike right back up. Got back on the road and the same thing happened about a mile down the road. I stopped again, changed the petcock to prime and continued. It stalled one more time before I got home. I put the bike up and noticed that ALL THE OIL LEAKED OUT! I opened up the oil plug and it smelled like gas and was diluted with gas. I also opened the oil filter and noticed the rubber lining was screwed up and that was what caused the leak, although the filter is nasty as hell even though I just replaced it. I'm sure a replacement rubber filter lining will fix the leak but I also want to fix the other problems.

My bike DOES NOT IDLE WELL at all! When I'm stopped it will rev up and slow down and then almost stall out and then rev back up. I just want a nice even idle. I am going to reclean the carbs, I tried to take out the white spacer but I stripped the screws in the diaphragm and don't know how to get past that problem since I am too scared of damaging the diaphragm to drill them out or anything.

Also, the exhaust pipe sounds horrible. It sounds like there is a whistling coming from it that makes my bike sound like its weak. Is there anyway to stop the whistling without having to buy an expensive exhaust?

Also, if its relevant, I live in Tampa, Fl and its been in the 90's the past weeks that this has been happening. The bike is VERY hard to start, it takes about 15 seconds of holding the starter button to get it going and then requires throttle to keep it from stalling. The bike stalls on start when no choke is used but if I add throttle on startup it will work fine. If I use the choke on startup it works a little better, not much though.

It does have the usual head cap leak but its so slow that I am waiting to fix that until I have all the other problems fixed.

I want to fix the following things:

Stop the gas from leaking into the oil.

Stop the jerkiness of the bike at low speeds and on slowdown from high speed.

Stop the bike from stalling at idle and keep the idle nice and even.

Stop the whistling of the exhaust pipe.

Have a clean fast startup!

Any advice will help, I am new to bikes. Let me know if you need anymore information, I get a notification on my phone for replies so I should be able to reply almost immediately. Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Leaking Oil, Stalling, Bad Idle, Whistling Exh
Reply #1 - 05/10/11 at 20:01:33

let's start on the important stuff 1st oil
keep it from leaking and keep gas outta it.
1st replace the oil filter cover o-ring.
2nd find out where the gas is coming from.
gas can be coming thru the petcock down the vac line and into the cylinder and washing down the walls and into the case.
pull the vac line any gas comes out there's your sign.
next, check to see if the gas shuts off in the on position and motor off.
pull the gas line to the carb, a little should come then stop.
OK if it's stops, need to check the float bowl
if you carb bowl has a little nipple on the bottom you're in luck.
hook a clear tubing to it and hold it up and back off the drain shut off screw, then turn the petcock to prime.
gas should come up to the gasket on the bowl and stop.
if it don't you need a new float valve.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/11/11 at 04:51:33

When you first got the bike, did you drain any old gas, and put in fresh ?
Did you check the oil to see that the level was correct ?
Then did you charge or replace or jump start the battery, and get it running ?

This is all that should have been done for starters. The last resort would be to go into the carb. The white spacer mod and the backfiring should have been the least of your problems and put way low on a list of priorities.
Many engines set for years, and start right up w/ some fresh gas and a good battery.

Now that you have assummingly dismantled and reassembled the carb, it it really hard to know just what your bad idling/running problems mite be, especially being new to bikes and probably new to an unfamiliar carb.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 05/11/11 at 05:14:02

I would put some sea foam in the gas,your carb slide could be sticking.And also put sea foam in the oil to clean up the engine.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 05/11/11 at 06:24:26

Or eliminate potential carb issues altogether, carbs can be had cheap on eBay.

IP Logged
Russian Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #5 - 05/14/11 at 18:09:59

Ok, Sorry guys, had some troubles with the family, didn't have time to fix the bike till today. I fixed the oil leak and replaced the oil filter. I put seafoam in the gastank and a little bit in the oil. It runs a little better when it comes to the hesitation but it still hesitates. Also, it still idles bad. I am taking apart the carburetor tomorrow to clean it and soak it.

It doesn't look like gas is leaking into the oil, I will check again over the next few days and if the problem still exists I'll replace the stock petcock to a raptor.

Weird thing happened when I was riding today though, I kept on hearing a pop in the engine somewhere. Sounded like a misfire.

Any ideas with the hesitating or bad idle other than a dirty carb???
Also, is there a slip-on exhaust that will make it sound better but won't break my bank?

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/14/11 at 19:23:01

When you have the engine running, feel the top of the case at the rear of the oil filter cover... do you feel a knocking?

If so, check your cam chain adjuster, quick link in my sig.

WWW   IP Logged
Russian Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - 05/15/11 at 22:50:04

I just recleaned the carbs thoroughly, still have the same problem. Stalled out on the road today just cruisin at 45. Filled up with gas then stalled out again while idling. Its getting a little ridiculous. I am replacing the petcock with a raptor asap, seems I have a broken diaphragm.

No knocking in the engine, I see no need to spend lots on cam chain adjuster quite yet. I will replace petcock and go from there.

This bike is making me angry.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 05/16/11 at 04:28:16

Russian Savage wrote on 05/14/11 at 18:09:59:
Ok, Sorry guys, had some troubles with the family, didn't have time to fix the bike till today. I fixed the oil leak and replaced the oil filter. I put seafoam in the gastank and a little bit in the oil. It runs a little better when it comes to the hesitation but it still hesitates. Also, it still idles bad. I am taking apart the carburetor tomorrow to clean it and soak it.

It doesn't look like gas is leaking into the oil, I will check again over the next few days and if the problem still exists I'll replace the stock petcock to a raptor.

Weird thing happened when I was riding today though, I kept on hearing a pop in the engine somewhere. Sounded like a misfire.

Any ideas with the hesitating or bad idle other than a dirty carb???
Also, is there a slip-on exhaust that will make it sound better but won't break my bank?

Sea Foam thats a few days to work,I would ride some more before taking things apart.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Russian Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #9 - 05/26/11 at 08:52:27

Ok fixed every problem. It runs like a dream.
The seafoam worked after about another 20 miles driving.
This got rid of the hesitation at low speeds. I replaced the petcock to a raptor this morning and it starts up every time no problem. I fixed all oil leaks and changed the oil, filter, and o-ring. I also did a full carb cleaning.

Rides great! Now I replaced the stock crappy exhaust to a HD Dyna Wide Glide stock pipe and it sounds like a beast. I just have to rejet the carb and I will be officially done with all repairs and ready for a road trip. Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 05/26/11 at 18:25:05

This bike is making me angry. [/quote]

Don't let it make you angry. I would love to find you setting on the side of the road with them girls giggling at you. I'd offer you $100 and a ride home for the title, and you would get my age some day and feel like a real horse's butt. Be patient and it will seem as if more than one item clears up as you go along. At least it's running. And three of your problems may be related to one fix. Remember, anger makes you do the wrong thing and the wrong thing usually costs more money.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:30:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking Oil, Stalling, Bad Idle, Whistling Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.