Send Topic Print
main fuse issue (Read 147 times)
scooter13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

main fuse issue
05/10/11 at 15:49:50

I have a 2005 savage.  Ran fine yesterday, now when I turn the key the main fuse blows.  KIll switch is off, blows.  disconnet the reg/rec, blows.  Cannot find a short or crimped wire anywhere. Any Ideas?
Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: main fuse issue
Reply #1 - 05/10/11 at 16:07:33

Gonna have to disconnect stuff & then hit the key.. see what is he last thing plugged in when it starts poppin fuses. If you ont have a Volt /Ohm meter,, you gonna need one,, & a test lite.   & a Miller Lite..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Garyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/10/11 at 17:16:44

Replace the fuse with a 12volt light bulb turn the key on and start moving stuff.  When the light goes out you have found the short.  Have fun.
Gary

IP Logged
scooter13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/10/11 at 19:47:49

as soon as i turn the key to the on position the fuse pops.  won't this affect the bulb?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/10/11 at 20:10:18

scooter13 wrote on 05/10/11 at 19:47:49:
as soon as i turn the key to the on position the fuse pops.  won't this affect the bulb?

this threw me at 1st too, but think about, the bulb is made to run on 12 volts and will keep the current down so the short won't burn up the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
scooter13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/10/11 at 20:20:12

makes sense, now any info on the best way to harness the light to the main fuse seat?
thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/10/11 at 20:24:48

Solder leads onto a bulb, Id use an 1156, &  put spade connectors on them,, cut to fit

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
scooter13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/10/11 at 20:40:09

Thanks guys, after spending the greater part of 2 days testing parts and looking for a bad ground, I was not looking forward to another.  Now I can't wait to wade through it again with a new toy.
Will post after.
Thanks again.

IP Logged
scooter13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/11/11 at 18:36:12

As suggested, Light was hooked up, key turned on and the light went out when the Red secondary wire to the starter relay was disconnected.  Too dark now, have to trace the other end tomorrow.  It is a single red wire with gray dots.  Any Idea where this is going to lead?  It is tucked inside the harness that runs forward under the tank.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 05/11/11 at 19:15:19

Open up your switch boxes. Mine is always breaking/pinching wires where they go in. It finally fried the starter relay. Solenoid is fine, relay is shot. Seat and gas tank tend to pinch wires as well.

And mine did the same as yours when a spider made her nest/egg case in the starter button housing.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
scooter13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/13/11 at 10:35:04

OK, after doing the test, the bulb only went out when the red secondary wire coming from the starter relay to the main fuse was disconnected.  How do I test my ignition switch?

IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #11 - 05/13/11 at 18:50:53

I have a Clymer manual that goes up through 2004 so what I'm looking at may not apply to your bike.  The wiring diagram doesn't show a wire like you described going to the starter relay. (red with grey dots) Also, this diagram shows two fuses. The main goes to the ignition switch and the other one goes to the decompression controller.  I can't distinguish the colors either.  Red and orange look alike to me.  The wire going to the decompression controller could be red and grey or orange and wihite or orange and grey.  Just can't tell.

I don't think there's much chance it's the ignition switch either because it's just supplying power to something else that's shorted.

Sorry I don't have a good answer for you.  I'm just shooting in the dark.

IP Logged
scooter13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/13/11 at 19:27:42

Thanks for all the suggestions.  We traced it to the front turn signals.  With the front turn signals disconnnected from the harness, both sides spiked the meter.  The screws that hold the lights to the frame had poked a hole in the wires on both turn signals and was making contact with the frame.
what a headache.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/13/11 at 21:19:02

Bummer deal, but if you found that, you are doin good.

IP Logged
scooter13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/13/11 at 21:22:55

Thanks again Justin, the bulb led the way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:21:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › main fuse issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.