Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ADVICE PLEASE: Cross Country Trip on S40 (Read 628 times)
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ADVICE PLEASE: Cross Country Trip on S40
05/10/11 at 12:18:53

Hello Everyone,

I'm 27 and I'm planning on going on a cross-country road trip on my new S40.  I would love to get some advice on how to pack, what to visit, things not to do, etc. from all the experienced riders in the community.  

I just quit my job (which I hate) and my girlfriend is starting to give me ultimatums on getting married and all I'm really focusing now is trying to get one last adventure before I settle down.

I'm planning on going from Philly -> Georgia -> Texas -> Colorado -> California -> Seattle -> back to Philly.  
Around 9000 miles total and I'm planning to camp outdoors whenever it makes sense.  

My S40 is a 2007 and has about 1700 miles on it.  

Thanks everyone in advance!
Yung

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: ADVICE PLEASE: Cross Country Trip on S40
Reply #1 - 05/10/11 at 14:02:53

If you marry the right woman life just becomes more of an adventure. Been there 34 years and recommend it. I suggest you Google "Bicycle touring" and look at several sites. Bicycle touring forces you to really pare down items. Some will have lists of food, shelter, clothes to carry, etc. You didn't say if you will camp or stay in a motel. My main item to carry would be an extra set of keys hidden under the tank in a magnetic box.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 05/10/11 at 14:19:30

If you have one...pack a credit card.
Take back roads as much as you can (way more fun then the freeway)
When it starts dumping rain pull over and have a poncho handy to stand in the rain (I hate riding in the rain!)

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/10/11 at 14:30:38

Boofer wrote on 05/10/11 at 14:02:53:
If you marry the right woman life just becomes more of an adventure. Been there 34 years and recommend it. I suggest you Google "Bicycle touring" and look at several sites. Bicycle touring forces you to really pare down items. Some will have lists of food, shelter, clothes to carry, etc. You didn't say if you will camp or stay in a motel. My main item to carry would be an extra set of keys hidden under the tank in a magnetic box.

Thanks for the great advice.  It makes a ton of sense to look into those who go on bike tours.  

My plan is to camp outside whenever the weather is cooperating but I can't figure out how I'm going to get everything on the bike.  

Can you give me pointers on how to pack and secure things on the S40?

Also, it's refreshing to hear that you're happily married!  Maybe it's just the group that I'm around but I just see so many unhappy couples...

IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/10/11 at 14:33:01

Bubba wrote on 05/10/11 at 14:19:30:
If you have one...pack a credit card.
Take back roads as much as you can (way more fun then the freeway)
When it starts dumping rain pull over and have a poncho handy to stand in the rain (I hate riding in the rain!)

Yeah, I'm taking a card for fuel and I was actually planning on being on the freeway for the vast majority of the trip but I like your idea better.  

Do you have suggestions on what type of bag/storage I should use for the s40?

IP Logged
Fuzzy5150
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/10/11 at 14:40:59

Just for information;

I have a 2007 S40, and I've been commuting 70 miles/day on 65 mph divided road. So far this spring, I have put on 1,300 miles.

Tomorrow morning, I will head out to Montana, which is 970 miles.  I am sticking to secondary roads mostly, as I don't like to push the bike above 65 mph.

I've been averaging 46 - 50 mpg, so have planned fuel stops every 100 miles.

I'm packing a medium sized backpack (PS strapped to the sissy bar), a sleeping bag, tools, fuel additive, my warm gear (bibs/coat/gauntlet gloves), along with a good digital camera to record my first adventure.  I would recommend sun screen, and some cheap rain gear/umbrella.

I have a good fairing, saddle bags, sissy bar, and a handlebar bag.

I'll let you know how it all goes, good and bad, by next Tuesday!
Grin

« Last Edit: 05/11/11 at 04:14:49 by Fuzzy5150 »  

"Strength over weakness, pride over humility, and knowledge over faith."
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 05/10/11 at 14:42:57

Use the secondary roads and enjoy what the bike was made to do. It ain't the destination--it's the trip. Dowco makes a nice 2 piece roll back they sell seperatly if needed.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/10/11 at 15:57:52

Not long after we married,, about 10 months, the oilfield crashed & I lost my job at Western,, & Odessa was a pit of unemployment,.We went camping, in Big Bend, gone for 10 days & 11 nites,, went with 2 couples,, & we all had a real fine time.. It really cemented our relationship, we rode horses in Mexico, went & ate at a home, where a lady just strait up fixed us lunch in her kitchen,
Point is, IF youre even considering spending the rest of your life with her,, then maybe you need an adventure together,,,

Youll know when you get home if she's the one or not.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NameNotInUse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/10/11 at 18:26:47

If it were me I'd be using a windshield bag, saddlebags, and a sissy bar bag. I would not want to go CC with a backpack on my back. The sleeping bag, rain poncho, perhaps an inflatable pillow for when you're stopped, fire & water for sure. I would take a few powerbars for emergencies when food doesn't seem possible. Ensure you have that extra set of keys, another credit card or some kind of hidden provisional cash and frequent check ins with that lady of yours.

Pack for warm and cold including that rain and again, check in with someone, even if not the lady.

As far as sowing your oats or whatever before you settle down, if you feel the need to run across the nation just to figure it out then you're wasting your time. Don't make her wait around for you to decide while she (likely) worries about your well being.

Whatever you do, be safe and be smart. You can't take much, maybe what you could pack on a carry on (plane), so you have to be  smart.

I wish you luck, I wish I could run cross country just for fun. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/10/11 at 18:57:20

Also, a guy named Beatduck ( I Hope thats rite), took one from Florida, to Arizona..to Canada, to New york, to florida,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 05/10/11 at 19:11:24

Don't forget some tools, fuses as well
as a couple extra bulbs.
Oh and some dare I say it, oil in a small
squeezable container.
Myself I wouldnt pack too many clothes
as you can usually find a laudrymat in towns.
And yes have times each a.m. and p.m. to check
in with loved ones. Let them know where your at
and heading to next. Not that were saying your
not all grown up and all. It's just that things can
happen.  
Best of luck and keep us posted.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 05/10/11 at 20:20:13

Some of the motorcycle forumns, wildguzzi and I believe Triumph rat have member info; if you post your intentions to travel, you might soliocit offers to have someone accompany you a bit here and there.  Do a search on motorcycle friendly campgounds.

Not to excite anxiety, but you do need to be careful as there are folks who are willing to unburden you from the weight of money.  So credit cards (I would get a couple of limited ones incase one gets "lost") and by all means plan to check in every other night (even a short txt msg with town, date, location you'll be staying at).....should you break down at least the search and rescue will have a starting point less than 48 hrs old.

All that cautionairy stuff aside, hope you enjoy the trip but the " make the decison" rationale isn't really going to fly.. Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/10/11 at 20:29:29

a framed pack or airline carry on can be strapped to the sissy bar if you got one.
shift the windshield forward as far as you can and you can put a soft pack on top of the light between the handlebars and windshield.

WWW   IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/10/11 at 21:30:11

Fuzzy5150 wrote on 05/10/11 at 14:40:59:
Just for information;

I have a 2007 S40, and I've been commuting 70 miles/day on 65 mph divided road. So far this spring, I have put on 1,300 miles.

Tomorrow morning, I will head out to Montana, which is 970 miles.  I am sticking to secondary roads mostly, as I don't like to push the bike above 65 mph.

I've been averaging 46 - 50 mpg, so have planned fuel stops every 100 miles.

I'm packing a medium sized backpack, a sleeping bag, tools, fuel additive, my warm gear (bibs/coat/gauntlet gloves), along with a good digital camera to record my first adventure.  I would recommend sun screen, and some cheap rain gear/umbrella.

I have a good fairing, saddle bags, sissy bar, and a handlebar bag.

I'll let you know how it all goes, good and bad, by next Tuesday!
Grin

I'm really excited to hear how the trip goes!  
Quick question though.  Are you trying to stay under 65 m/h due to the discomfort of the wind or is it too much of a strain on the bike?

IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/10/11 at 21:36:00

NameNotInUse wrote on 05/10/11 at 18:26:47:
If it were me I'd be using a windshield bag, saddlebags, and a sissy bar bag. I would not want to go CC with a backpack on my back. The sleeping bag, rain poncho, perhaps an inflatable pillow for when you're stopped, fire & water for sure. I would take a few powerbars for emergencies when food doesn't seem possible. Ensure you have that extra set of keys, another credit card or some kind of hidden provisional cash and frequent check ins with that lady of yours.

Pack for warm and cold including that rain and again, check in with someone, even if not the lady.

As far as sowing your oats or whatever before you settle down, if you feel the need to run across the nation just to figure it out then you're wasting your time. Don't make her wait around for you to decide while she (likely) worries about your well being.

Whatever you do, be safe and be smart. You can't take much, maybe what you could pack on a carry on (plane), so you have to be  smart.

I wish you luck, I wish I could run cross country just for fun. Smiley

Thanks for the advice!  I think it's clear that I'll need to invest in some quality storage equipment for the trip.  

I haven't told my girlfriend or my mother about my trip or the fact that I quit my job.  Both of them will try and stop me from going so I figure I'll call them once I'm in VA and already on my way.  

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ADVICE PLEASE: Cross Country Trip on S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.