Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ADVICE PLEASE: Cross Country Trip on S40 (Read 628 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: ADVICE PLEASE: Cross Country Trip on S40
Reply #30 - 05/11/11 at 15:06:34

GoBlueMichigan wrote on 05/11/11 at 13:59:33:
As for my plan to leave without letting them know... I'll admit it's cowardly but believe me, it's the best way for me to get this trip done!  

If you're looking for a challenge and hardship then why pass this up?
Learn to stand up for yourself, develop a stategy and convince them.

But whatever you do, don't disappear and leave them hanging.  Do you recall the runaway bride?

If she loves you, she'll let you go.

WWW   IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Reply #31 - 05/11/11 at 15:19:20

Have you thought about getting saddle bags? I am only a 50-100 mile a day rider but i find my bags invauable, There is a gentleman on here selling saddle bag brackets for $25. Just thought to get some weight off your back.

kfink@aol.com kfink@aol.com   IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #32 - 05/11/11 at 17:48:33

for protection i would not rec a gun - you are correct state to state the laws vary too much - mace, large can of wasp/hornet spray (25ft range) pepper spray - ...a blade 4 inch fixed in a holder on your belt - not concealed......but always run the risk of bringing a knife to a gun fight, you loose.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #33 - 05/11/11 at 17:50:31

I use smaller "sport" saddle bags and a duffel across the back seat. A magnetic tank bag is hard to beat for keeping things you need to get to easily.
ROK Straps are the best invention for strapping gear to a bike I have discovered. A bungee net over all of that is handy.
Hammocks are very nice and light. 7 nights on the UP last Sept convinced me of their worth. You already know how to deal with varied temps. Good rain gear like Frogg  Togs are good to have.
Lay everything you think you need to take out on the floor...then toss at least half of it and start over. As said before, there are plenty of stores on the road to get what you need if you come up short.
Take "America's Highways" and avoid the Interstate. So much to see and experience on the secondary roads.
Do try to become familiar with your bike. Feeling confidant doing things like changing the oil,replacing a light bulb, fuse or spark plug is good. I have an upgrade on my AAA that will tow the bike if there is a breakdown. I think Progressive has a similar rider as well.
Traveling solo has risks, but one thing I have experienced is people on the road are for the most part friendly and seem to approach a solitary traveler easier than a group.
Have a great adventure and keep us posted.

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/11/11 at 18:31:08

This sounds like fun.  I wanted to ride a motorcycle across the country when I got out of college.  I never did and am now 52.  I am still planning to make that trip, but I say, "GO FOR IT DUDE!"

I would suggest, saddlebags, and a sissy bar with rack if you don't have one, (my bike is a 2009 and does not.)  Not only can you put a duffle bag on the rack, but you can bungie one into the passenger seat and use it as a backrest.

I have a medium-sized windshield on my bike.  Its great and I only wish I had gotten a BIG honking windshield.  The windshield takes the air pressure off your chest and keeps me from feeling as if I will blow away at speeds above 55.  

I don't know about your bike.  I have had mine above 75, (I weigh 240) and guess it would top out around 85.  But, there is definitely VIBRATION when running above 60.  From a few short tips I have taken, the hands and feet seem to get numb to this is about 20 minutes and then its "OK".  That said I have had my arms tingle from fingertips to elbows for 15 minutes after I stopped.

Hope the trip goes well.  Please tell us the stories when you get back.

-Hal

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #35 - 05/12/11 at 07:29:09

Go Blue, since you mentioned the lenth of the trip I would say contact Verslagen and get a modded Cam tensioner installed before you go.
Better safe than sorry and it only takes about an hour to install.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #36 - 05/12/11 at 07:29:26

Here is a pic of me and my bike on a 3day trip to the dragon...
Cooler is optional I brought 10lb of hamburger meat for a cookout that weekend.

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 05/12/11 at 08:04:55

That's got to be the coolest truck on the dragon   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #38 - 05/12/11 at 08:13:49

[quote author=555D505E4757515A475C55320 link=1305055133/15#29 date=1305150685]Sunchasers wrote on 05/11/11 at 09:01:17:
Great point on the maintenance schedule of the bike.  I'll need to do some research into what I need to do during the trip but if you can help out with what you'd do that would be very helpful.  The bike's got 1700 miles on it right now and it'll be around 10 or 11k by the end.

Thanks!

I am not new to motorcycling, but very new to the LS650 and still learning myself, so there are more experienced members here that can answer that question a lot better than I can.

Refer to your Owners manual for scheduled maintenance items.  If you do not have one, you can download one from a link in the Tech Section.

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #39 - 05/12/11 at 10:24:29

I highly suggest that you don't use a backpack for this sort of journey. After only 100 miles with a moderately weighted pack my shoulders were hampering my driving ability.

IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #40 - 05/12/11 at 11:10:12

verslagen1 wrote on 05/12/11 at 08:04:55:
That's got to be the coolest truck on the dragon   Cool

You gotta see all the beer it will haul every evening...... Cool Cheesy

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 05/12/11 at 14:04:33

Thanks Everyone who posted tips and advice!!  
Smiley

I will post up when I leave and periodically when I'm on my way.  

Thanks again!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 05/12/11 at 14:56:30

[quote author=5F4952585E3B0 link=1305055133/30#38 date=1305213229]GoBlueMichigan wrote on 05/11/11 at 14:51:25:
Sunchasers wrote on 05/11/11 at 09:01:17:
Great point on the maintenance schedule of the bike.  I'll need to do some research into what I need to do during the trip but if you can help out with what you'd do that would be very helpful.  The bike's got 1700 miles on it right now and it'll be around 10 or 11k by the end.

Thanks!

I am not new to motorcycling, but very new to the LS650 and still learning myself, so there are more experienced members here that can answer that question a lot better than I can.

Refer to your Owners manual for scheduled maintenance items.  If you do not have one, you can download one from a link in the Tech Section.

You don't want to deal with tire issues on the road if you can possibly help it.

Metzler is a 20k mile tire.  And front tire will do 10k, so you might be ok there.
I would start out changing the oil every week 1 to 2k miles.
Change the filter and adjust the valves every month.
Even though filters can be had at every dealer,  I'd have a bunch to start with.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:19:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ADVICE PLEASE: Cross Country Trip on S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.