Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ADVICE PLEASE: Cross Country Trip on S40 (Read 628 times)
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: ADVICE PLEASE: Cross Country Trip on S40
Reply #15 - 05/10/11 at 21:41:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/11 at 15:57:52:
Not long after we married,, about 10 months, the oilfield crashed & I lost my job at Western,, & Odessa was a pit of unemployment,.We went camping, in Big Bend, gone for 10 days & 11 nites,, went with 2 couples,, & we all had a real fine time.. It really cemented our relationship, we rode horses in Mexico, went & ate at a home, where a lady just strait up fixed us lunch in her kitchen,
Point is, IF youre even considering spending the rest of your life with her,, then maybe you need an adventure together,,,

Youll know when you get home if she's the one or not.

That sounds like a wonderful time indeed.  I'm hoping I come away from this trip with a renewed faith in strangers but I'm also curious to see how people across the country are dealing with the economy.  

As for my girlfriend... I don't think I'd want her to come with me because I plan to push myself and looking forward to the challenge and discomfort.  She's more of a Four Seasons kind of girl, haha.

IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

a
Reply #16 - 05/10/11 at 21:47:10

Trippah wrote on 05/10/11 at 20:20:13:
Some of the motorcycle forumns, wildguzzi and I believe Triumph rat have member info; if you post your intentions to travel, you might soliocit offers to have someone accompany you a bit here and there.  Do a search on motorcycle friendly campgounds.

Not to excite anxiety, but you do need to be careful as there are folks who are willing to unburden you from the weight of money.  So credit cards (I would get a couple of limited ones incase one gets "lost") and by all means plan to check in every other night (even a short txt msg with town, date, location you'll be staying at).....should you break down at least the search and rescue will have a starting point less than 48 hrs old.

All that cautionairy stuff aside, hope you enjoy the trip but the " make the decison" rationale isn't really going to fly.. Cheesy

Great advice!  I didn't realize that there were such things as "Motorcycle Friendly Campgrounds"

As for the tracking I just downloaded a thing called Google Latitude which I plan on using in case I break down in the middle of nowhere.  Once I start my trip maybe I'll post it up here if anyone wants to see where I'm at. Smiley

IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/10/11 at 21:49:36

kimchris1 wrote on 05/10/11 at 19:11:24:
Don't forget some tools, fuses as well
as a couple extra bulbs.
Oh and some dare I say it, oil in a small
squeezable container.
Myself I wouldnt pack too many clothes
as you can usually find a laudrymat in towns.
And yes have times each a.m. and p.m. to check
in with loved ones. Let them know where your at
and heading to next. Not that were saying your
not all grown up and all. It's just that things can
happen.  
Best of luck and keep us posted.. Smiley kim

Thanks Kim,
I do plan on checking in with friends and family every once in a while but for laundry I'm sure I can find a lake that I can jump into every other day with a bar of Ivory soap (which floats) haha.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #18 - 05/11/11 at 00:13:50

Your 27 dude, you dont need your moms or GF's permisson. They can like it or lump it. If the GF is worth a d@mn and really wants you she will be fine with it. If not theres a whole slew of women out there to replace her. Their both going to be pi$$ed anyway when they find out 1. you quit your job and 2. your going cross country on a bike.
Im the type that dont take to ultimatums very well. Kind of have the tendancy to throw em back in peoples faces.
Get married and your life WILL change drasticly. Unless you want a slew of kids dont rush it.

Camping wise light gear would be a hammock with bug screen and a blanket. Less bulk then a sleeping bag. Lot of KOA camp grounds to choose from. Keep in mind most state owned lands will usualy have a primitive camp ground. You can get a map of all of em in a state at any conservation office. Most are free.
Small soft stuff sack does double duty. Carries clothes and makes a decent pillow. Couple pair each t-shirts, jeans, socks, underwear, long sleeved shirt and light jacket are all you need besides rain gear and your bike togs. Pair of boat shoes or tennis shoes and sun block.

Spare spark plug, fuses, tools, flashlight(crank type, forget batteries) qt oil and maybe a small gas can, cell phone, lil cash and a credit card, bar of soap, towel, wash cloth and toothbrush.
You'd be surprised what you can live without.
Small foldup sterno stove and simple camping mess kit if you want to cook some of your own meals. Most towns have a wal-mart ect where you can stock back up on sterno, dried soup, spam, crackers ect. Canteen or large water bottle to. Dont forget the camera. GPS is handy too.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #19 - 05/11/11 at 05:34:58

Best wishes on your ride, and with your girl.  Ultimatums aren't normally good, but sometimes you just gotta sh!t or get off the pot, so they say.  

We bought an Eagles Nest Hammock that I would highly recommend, rolls up in a bag to about the size of a softball.  And there are some nice one-person tents out there that fold up really small too.  Check out a brand "Eureka!"  Nice tents.  Compact everything as much as you can.  Do you have large saddlebags or are you planning to strap stuff on?  Those bungee corded, net-like things are nice and hold well and can hold alot.

My biggest advice would be to get plenty of rest and don't push yourself too hard.  There will be enough things to watch out for along the way, you'll need all your wits and strength about you.  But have FUN!!!  

Post your route and maybe some members could help you along the way, or even ride with you for a bit.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #20 - 05/11/11 at 05:53:18

If you are coming by San Antonio (or around the area), let me know when and I'll see if I can hook up with ya for a ways.  Show you the really good back roads aournd here that you got time for, help out with what needs helpin if needed.
I'm sure many others would want to do the same.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #21 - 05/11/11 at 07:10:47

Hate to rain on your parade - but - 1 no job 2 not telling her before you leave - dont expect her to be there when you get back she'll always wonder if you are just going to pack up and move out in the middle of the night and leave her stranded. But like someone else said girls are like buses another one will be along any minute....provided you are willing to take a another route in life.

got to admire the guts to go CC in this day and time......considered some form of protection? no not "that" kind of protection - real protection. There are plenty of other folks out there that dont have a job or income and will not mind taking what ever you have that they feel is of value....like the bike - talk about stranded!......who do you think will come get you or send you $$ to get home - not her - and Mom might just decide to teach you lesson about self preservation especially if you dont tell her up front before you go.

Have you really thought this thing through or is it a an impluse that "sounds like a good idea" from that little voice in your head.

I am a safety professional by trade so I would be asking myself these questions if I thought about doing something like this.

Good luck whichever way you go.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
NameNotInUse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/11/11 at 07:44:59

GoBlueMichigan wrote on 05/10/11 at 21:36:00:
NameNotInUse wrote on 05/10/11 at 18:26:47:
If it were me I'd be using a windshield bag, saddlebags, and a sissy bar bag. I would not want to go CC with a backpack on my back. The sleeping bag, rain poncho, perhaps an inflatable pillow for when you're stopped, fire & water for sure. I would take a few powerbars for emergencies when food doesn't seem possible. Ensure you have that extra set of keys, another credit card or some kind of hidden provisional cash and frequent check ins with that lady of yours.

Pack for warm and cold including that rain and again, check in with someone, even if not the lady.

As far as sowing your oats or whatever before you settle down, if you feel the need to run across the nation just to figure it out then you're wasting your time. Don't make her wait around for you to decide while she (likely) worries about your well being.

Whatever you do, be safe and be smart. You can't take much, maybe what you could pack on a carry on (plane), so you have to be  smart.

I wish you luck, I wish I could run cross country just for fun. Smiley

Thanks for the advice!  I think it's clear that I'll need to invest in some quality storage equipment for the trip.  

I haven't told my girlfriend or my mother about my trip or the fact that I quit my job.  Both of them will try and stop me from going so I figure I'll call them once I'm in VA and already on my way.  

Thanks again!

To some points ...
Yes, lose this girl another will likely be by soon enough ... or maybe you'll never have another chance.  Sure, take your little trip but it sounds a bit jerky to just leave and contact her when you hit another state. She may not want you to go or be ok with it, but she should just grin and bear it. However, not telling her until you're gone? I personally wouldn't sit around for that. Something to consider when you do go.  I think what you plan on doing is far worse than any ultimatums. Then again, the ultimatums is moot once you pull that disappearing act. Wink

The advice you've been given sounds good. I've never been more than 100 miles so I'm only going by what I've read over time and what sounds logical. Protect from the security guy around here is also key ... he is absolutely right.

Just keep us posted when you plan to go. At the very least I am super interested in how it goes and what you see. I drove (truck) from CA to NC 2 years ago but I stayed on 40 and didn't experience the trip because I had a destination and a date to be there by.

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #23 - 05/11/11 at 09:01:17

9,000 miles... that's an Iron Butt marathon for sure.

A word of advice for Colorado... I assume since you are coming from Texas to Colorado you will be crossing along one of the southern routes.  Be prepared for colder temps, rain, and possible snow in the higher elevations.  I have personally experienced snowy weather as late as first part of June in that part of the state.  I'm in northern Colorado, but Digger here at the forum is from that part of the state and might have some good routes/advice for you.

Also, don't forget your maintenance schedule items over the extended trip.  Wish you the best and have fun!

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/11/11 at 13:59:33

Wolfman wrote on 05/11/11 at 00:13:50:
Your 27 dude, you dont need your moms or GF's permisson. They can like it or lump it. If the GF is worth a d@mn and really wants you she will be fine with it. If not theres a whole slew of women out there to replace her. Their both going to be pi$$ed anyway when they find out 1. you quit your job and 2. your going cross country on a bike.
Im the type that dont take to ultimatums very well. Kind of have the tendancy to throw em back in peoples faces.
Get married and your life WILL change drasticly. Unless you want a slew of kids dont rush it.

Camping wise light gear would be a hammock with bug screen and a blanket. Less bulk then a sleeping bag. Lot of KOA camp grounds to choose from. Keep in mind most state owned lands will usualy have a primitive camp ground. You can get a map of all of em in a state at any conservation office. Most are free.
Small soft stuff sack does double duty. Carries clothes and makes a decent pillow. Couple pair each t-shirts, jeans, socks, underwear, long sleeved shirt and light jacket are all you need besides rain gear and your bike togs. Pair of boat shoes or tennis shoes and sun block.

Spare spark plug, fuses, tools, flashlight(crank type, forget batteries) qt oil and maybe a small gas can, cell phone, lil cash and a credit card, bar of soap, towel, wash cloth and toothbrush.
You'd be surprised what you can live without.
Small foldup sterno stove and simple camping mess kit if you want to cook some of your own meals. Most towns have a wal-mart ect where you can stock back up on sterno, dried soup, spam, crackers ect. Canteen or large water bottle to. Dont forget the camera. GPS is handy too.

Thank you very much.  Your advice is much appreciated and I'm actually looking into camping hammocks after you mentioned it.  

As for my plan to leave without letting them know... I'll admit it's cowardly but believe me, it's the best way for me to get this trip done!  

I'm really amazed at how many people have been so kind as to give me pointers!  

IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 05/11/11 at 14:03:55

babyhog wrote on 05/11/11 at 05:34:58:
Best wishes on your ride, and with your girl.  Ultimatums aren't normally good, but sometimes you just gotta sh!t or get off the pot, so they say.  

We bought an Eagles Nest Hammock that I would highly recommend, rolls up in a bag to about the size of a softball.  And there are some nice one-person tents out there that fold up really small too.  Check out a brand "Eureka!"  Nice tents.  Compact everything as much as you can.  Do you have large saddlebags or are you planning to strap stuff on?  Those bungee corded, net-like things are nice and hold well and can hold alot.

My biggest advice would be to get plenty of rest and don't push yourself too hard.  There will be enough things to watch out for along the way, you'll need all your wits and strength about you.  But have FUN!!!  

Post your route and maybe some members could help you along the way, or even ride with you for a bit.    

Thanks!  I'm definitely leaning towards a camping hammock and as far as storage I'm planning on wearing a large backpack, placing a small bag between my windscreen and bars, and bungee things to the back of my seat.  

I don't have a sissy bar so I'm a little concerned about how I'm going to secure everything but I'm sure with enough cords I can make it work!

I'll definitely post details, pics, questions, while I'm on the road!  

IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 05/11/11 at 14:07:06

youzguyz wrote on 05/11/11 at 05:53:18:
If you are coming by San Antonio (or around the area), let me know when and I'll see if I can hook up with ya for a ways.  Show you the really good back roads aournd here that you got time for, help out with what needs helpin if needed.
I'm sure many others would want to do the same.

Very cool of you to suggest that Smiley  

I'm trying to make it to Austin because it's one of the cities where I'm considering moving to and that's only about an hour and half away from San Antonio.  I'll let you know if I make it that far into TX or end up starting up north to Colorado sooner than that.
Thanks!

IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/11/11 at 14:25:21

weracerc wrote on 05/11/11 at 07:10:47:
Hate to rain on your parade - but - 1 no job 2 not telling her before you leave - dont expect her to be there when you get back she'll always wonder if you are just going to pack up and move out in the middle of the night and leave her stranded. But like someone else said girls are like buses another one will be along any minute....provided you are willing to take a another route in life.

got to admire the guts to go CC in this day and time......considered some form of protection? no not "that" kind of protection - real protection. There are plenty of other folks out there that dont have a job or income and will not mind taking what ever you have that they feel is of value....like the bike - talk about stranded!......who do you think will come get you or send you $$ to get home - not her - and Mom might just decide to teach you lesson about self preservation especially if you dont tell her up front before you go.

Have you really thought this thing through or is it a an impluse that "sounds like a good idea" from that little voice in your head.

I am a safety professional by trade so I would be asking myself these questions if I thought about doing something like this.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Thanks for the great advice!

Your first point about my GF never being able to trust me is well taken.  That's something that I'll need to iron out once I get back if I decide to marry her.  

As for protection I've always felt that if someone's got it in for me there's not a whole lot I can do to prevent it...  I have a concealed license and some weapons but after looking at the laws from state to state on firearms I've learned that's not an option.  I plan on carrying very little cash and just a CC for gas and emergencies as one member suggested.  

Do you have something in mind for protection?
Do you recommend mace?

IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 05/11/11 at 14:35:42

[/quote]

To some points ...
Yes, lose this girl another will likely be by soon enough ... or maybe you'll never have another chance.  Sure, take your little trip but it sounds a bit jerky to just leave and contact her when you hit another state. She may not want you to go or be ok with it, but she should just grin and bear it. However, not telling her until you're gone? I personally wouldn't sit around for that. Something to consider when you do go.  I think what you plan on doing is far worse than any ultimatums. Then again, the ultimatums is moot once you pull that disappearing act. Wink

The advice you've been given sounds good. I've never been more than 100 miles so I'm only going by what I've read over time and what sounds logical. Protect from the security guy around here is also key ... he is absolutely right.

Just keep us posted when you plan to go. At the very least I am super interested in how it goes and what you see. I drove (truck) from CA to NC 2 years ago but I stayed on 40 and didn't experience the trip because I had a destination and a date to be there by.

[/quote]

Yeah, I agree that what I'm doing is pretty selfish but it's something that I need to get out of my system.  I have a bit of my father in me and he spent the first 45 years of his life traveling until he met my mother and settled down for my sake.  He passed away 6 years ago today actually and I know he would've loved to do something like this with me Smiley  

Thanks for the advice and I'll try my best to take pictures and write about the trip.

IP Logged
GoBlueMichigan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/11/11 at 14:51:25

Sunchasers wrote on 05/11/11 at 09:01:17:
9,000 miles... that's an Iron Butt marathon for sure.

A word of advice for Colorado... I assume since you are coming from Texas to Colorado you will be crossing along one of the southern routes.  Be prepared for colder temps, rain, and possible snow in the higher elevations.  I have personally experienced snowy weather as late as first part of June in that part of the state.  I'm in northern Colorado, but Digger here at the forum is from that part of the state and might have some good routes/advice for you.

Also, don't forget your maintenance schedule items over the extended trip.  Wish you the best and have fun!

That's definitely something I'm concerned about.  I've driven through the Rockies in the summer before and if I remember correctly I think it was snowing once I passed through Eisenhower Tunnel in July!  

I went to school in Michigan and couldn't afford to live in the dorms so I rode my motorcycle through the winter... nothing like walking into a 9am class with icicles in your hair, haha.  

I'm only planning 250-400 miles per day so if I hit inclement weather I plan on trying to wait it out.

Great point on the maintenance schedule of the bike.  I'll need to do some research into what I need to do during the trip but if you can help out with what you'd do that would be very helpful.  The bike's got 1700 miles on it right now and it'll be around 10 or 11k by the end.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:22:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ADVICE PLEASE: Cross Country Trip on S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.