Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What's your tool of choice for valve adjustment? (Read 258 times)
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
What's your tool of choice for valve adjustment?
05/10/11 at 08:13:13

I've started the process of fine tuning my valves. 7k miles on the motor and after knocking loose the adjuster bolt I had about one full turn out of tension on my rockers (self adjusting valve spring?). I had to turn the motor a dozen times to find TDC and was very confused that I didn't have any play when the valves were closed. It's never ran well and has sat for years before I bought it from a family member. After hunting at several auto part stores I have yet to find a good feeler that will fit in the inspection hole for the valves. I bought one from Napa that will work  but it's still on the larger side (0.005") and the tab is almost over an inch long. Still need to find one that's 0.003" What do you all use that fits better? I've seen a few from Motion Pro that are individual feelers but they're five bucks a pop.

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What's your tool of choice for valve adjustmen
Reply #1 - 05/10/11 at 08:57:15

2 standard feeler gages, the .005 has a kink in it so it's easier to slip in.  the .004 is still flat cause a kink would do no good.

some use these...

That and a 10mm wrench.

These are handy but don't fit on the intake side...

I ended up making a similar tool using a hex drive screwdriver tip pressed into a fender washer.  
scribe lines thru the center and at 90° and there you go, almost don't need feeler gages.

« Last Edit: 10/21/16 at 19:53:24 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #2 - 05/10/11 at 11:19:23

I figured the Motion pro feeler was probably the better way to go. Is the valve clearance different for the intake/exaust? Or can I be lazy and shoot for .004" which if I remember right is the midrange for the adjustment. That'd be nice considering that the feeler comes in .004/.005"

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 05/10/11 at 19:00:21

I use a different approach: No feeler guage at all. The adjusting screw is M6 standard pitch which is 1mm per revolution. So I loosen up the jamb nut and screw the adjuster all the way in by hand, touching the valve snug, but not too hard. Then back off almost an 1/8 turn. A 1/8 turn equals 0.125mm or 0.0049". So a little less than an 1/8 turn gets you right where you need it. That fumbling with the feeler just drove me nuts.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/10/11 at 19:03:43

ralfyguy wrote on 05/10/11 at 19:00:21:
I use a different approach: No feeler guage at all. The adjusting screw is M6 standard pitch which is 1mm per revolution. So I loosen up the jamb nut and screw the adjuster all the way in by hand, touching the valve snug, but not too hard. Then back off almost an 1/8 turn. A 1/8 turn equals 0.125mm or 0.0049". So a little less than an 1/8 turn gets you right where you need it. That fumbling with the feeler just drove me nuts.

& th trumpets Blare  ( You know,, like when something Big happens in the Olde' Style movies)

Dunt Duh Duh Duuuuhhhhh!
Thats just clever, right there...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 05/10/11 at 19:12:33

Screw the feeler guage, this will be accurate enough for the purpose. I bet there won't be any difference in valve noise/performance compared to a dead-on feeler adjustment. Smiley
Just an old german machinist trick.  Smiley

IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #6 - 05/10/11 at 19:13:26

ralfyguy wrote on 05/10/11 at 19:00:21:
I use a different approach: No feeler guage at all.

Wow that's actually a brilliant approach. I'll have to give that a go. Considering that this will be the fourth time I've attempted to set them, what can I loose? Well... minus the potential for valve damage. I'll still have to double check that they're even because I'm mechanically an@l about that kind of thing.

IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #7 - 05/10/11 at 19:15:16

And now that I think of it I have a set of hex flat head screwdrivers that I can attach to a meter to get my 1/8th turn...

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 05/10/11 at 19:21:51

Well just look at the slot on the adjuster screw like a clock. Lets say the slot points up in the 12/6 O'Clock position when snug on the valve, then a 1/4 turn CCW would put it in the 9/3 O'Clock position. So an 1/8 turn would put it in the middle between that. So i would set itclose to the 11/5 O'Clock position, put the flat screwdriver in the slot to hold position and tighten the nut, making sure the screwdriver doesn't move.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/10/11 at 19:22:40

I back the 1st one off then measure it with a feeler gage, then do the rest the same way.

90° for me.

You might check the pitch of that screw.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 05/11/11 at 09:30:01

I think the easiest tool is a credit card handed to a mechanic.  Grin

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 05/11/11 at 09:52:48

Ballpeen hammer... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #12 - 05/11/11 at 10:54:00

MotoBuddha wrote on 05/11/11 at 09:30:01:
I think the easiest tool is a credit card handed to a mechanic.

If I could do that I would have just bought a new motorcycle  Grin Besides that takes all the fun out of it.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 05/12/11 at 10:52:57

Check out this thread: http://www.volusiaowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3882

Savage has the same adjuster screws.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 05/12/11 at 11:47:33

ralfyguy wrote on 05/12/11 at 10:52:57:
Check out this thread: http://www.volusiaowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3882

Savage has the same adjuster screws.

Not technically correct, all my savages have slotted adjuster screws.
Those have a little square on the end   Grin

And as I've said...
I back the 1st one off 90° then measure it with .004 & .005" feeler gages, then do the rest the same way.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:32:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What's your tool of choice for valve adjustment?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.