Found a muffler
05/09/11 at 19:16:36

IP Logged
04 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Found a muffler
Reply #1 - 05/09/11 at 19:23:54

It should since Harley muffs are 1 3/4 inch same as ours at the header.  I would do more research to make sure tho...

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 05/09/11 at 19:32:21

I like the bracket part. Looks like it has different ways to mount it, if you remove that black piece. I just don't know about the 10 degree angle on the header connection. I was thinking about trying to stick a nice stiff piece of black steel pipe in the muffler and clamp it down with a sturdy clamp and then try to bend the inlet the way the header is. Not sure if that would work. That sheet metal the muffler is made of can't be that stiff. If it at least gives a little, it would help with sealing the joint.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 05/09/11 at 20:59:52

The diameter is slightly larger than the Savage, assuming it is I.D. You will need some kind of crush gasket. Most people use aluminum cans with ridges on them to mate the muffler to the header. I did not have to use a 10 degree adapter on my Harley muffler installation from the Softail/Night Train.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/09/11 at 21:08:31

I just cut off the mounting flange (collar), slipped the muffler on, loosened the head pipe and rotated the whole mess. You can buy universal band/P clamps at any aftermarket HD shop to bolt the muffler to the stock chassis  mount.

And you can get a wide exhaust clamp at Tractor Supply, cover the muffler to head pipe joint. Once everything is clamped down the very slight discrepancy in size is irrelevant.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 05/09/11 at 21:15:24

WD, I was able to use the stock muffler clamp and cover the joint with a $20 aftermarket heat shield about 7" long. The joint has to be airtight to avoid backfires. Like you say easy installation for me, too.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 05/10/11 at 05:44:28

The stock muffler having an oddball (metric) inlet size wouldn't allow the new muffler to fit mine. I never worried about the backfire issue much. When I ran just a 4" turndown (no muffler) off the headpipe I had it angled to blow up fire ant beds at shutdown. Rev it up pretty tight and hit the kill switch. Record hole was just over an inch deep.  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 05/10/11 at 15:09:16

WD wrote on 05/10/11 at 05:44:28:
The stock muffler having an oddball (metric) inlet size wouldn't allow the new muffler to fit mine. I never worried about the backfire issue much. When I ran just a 4" turndown (no muffler) off the headpipe I had it angled to blow up fire ant beds at shutdown. Rev it up pretty tight and hit the kill switch. Record hole was just over an inch deep.  Grin

Grin Grin Grin I can see mine spitting  blue flames more than 6" out of the muffler at night. Looks pretty cool!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 05/10/11 at 16:20:08

You want flames, this one would fire off. NO pipes... 1957 Harley FL (74 inch/1200cc) Panhead barhopper. Got it to start right before we moved. Wish it had come with but wasn't room. Went back where i got it (where it will rot for another 15-20 years I'm sure).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:23:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Found a muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.