Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hit a pothole and now engine dies at idle (Read 146 times)
Jbraunstein
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hit a pothole and now engine dies at idle
05/09/11 at 13:52:12

Hi all,

I'm a newly minted Savage owner ('96 model) and a newbie to this forum, but the info on here has been an education; I'm glad I found this community.  You know the bike is awesome Smiley.

Unfortunately I've run into a kind of mechanical problem in my first 48 hrs of ownership and wanted to run it by the forum to see if anyone's ever dealt with this before...

I picked up the bike on Friday and everything was great until early Sunday on the way to the hardware store.  I had just filled up the tank with regular 87 octane and was on my way home when I hit a big bump in the road—one of those metal plates they put down in construction zones…and everything was fine until I came to a stop at the next stoplight…the engine just died when I rolled off the throttle completely and put it in neutral.

I pulled over and tried to start the bike up again but I couldn’t get the engine going unless I gave it some gas.  As soon as I stop giving it gas it just sputters out—it won’t idle.  I’m thinking the bump may have knocked the pilot jet or the idle screw out of whack, or I overfilled the gas tank and flooded something--a freind of mine thinks the bump may have churned up some sediment from the fuel tank and clogged the carburetter…not sure but I'm not in a position to take the bike apart myself..Is the solution staring me in the face?  I called a mechanic and will have it brought to the garage for a diagnostic, unless you think it's a quick fix...

The bike was running great until I hit that big bump...I had also just filled it up with gas for the first time--has to be related to one or both right? Undecided

Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Hit a pothole and now engine dies at idle
Reply #1 - 05/09/11 at 14:28:23

Unless it was a 4" plate, it shouldn't be enough to even make the savage notice.  I take the equivalant to those plate at speed on the superslab.

It's possible it's dirt and with only a screw driver you can remove the petcock and carb bowl.  Although if it's the 1st time it will be a pregnant dog.

But a drop in idle speed is more likely an issue with the vac line... see carb spec's in the tech section index.  there'll be a pic of all the lines.

And you can just adjust the idle speed.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/09/11 at 15:19:12

It sounds dumb, but make sure you have enough oil. When I first got my savage, very first got, I was unaware of the plug leak issue or it severity. Didnt keep an eye on the oil well enough I geuss. I checked once a week no matter what. Turns out one evening i was low on oil and it kept dieing out on me so i just upped the idle speed and kept on my way home. The next day was my weekly check...boy was i low on oil. Filled it up, started it up and what was a nice idle the night before was sky high after topping off. Yes...i couldve done serious damage. Luckily I didnt.

IP Logged
Jbraunstein
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/09/11 at 19:37:57

Verslagen and Burnpgh,

Thanks for the input.  When I got home from work I tried her again and she started up without any throttle...I got excited but unfortunately the engine sputtered out in about 10-15 secs and it was back to square one--wouldn't start again without giving it gas. I checked the oil and it looked good; no leaks to be found either.

However, I turned the idle screw slowly until I was getting the least amount of steady RPMs without it dying on me.  Now it's idling fine, but interestingly, it stalls when I engage the choke.  Not sure what that means.  Suggestions?  

At least its ridable, but I'm concerned I didn't get to the root of the problem...I doubt that the bump I hit adjusted the idle screw--that thing was not loose.  I'll definitely take a look in the float bowl and check out the vac line next chance I get.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/09/11 at 20:39:01

serowbot where are you?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/10/11 at 00:19:32

However, I turned the idle screw slowly until I was getting the least amount of steady RPMs without it dying on me.

This engine has low oil pressure. The cam sits in the aluminum head & IF the RPM are low, the head will suffer. 1,000 RPM Idle is what it needs.. Id rather see the thing run a little fast at idle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/10/11 at 00:41:24

verslagen1 wrote on 05/09/11 at 20:39:01:
serowbot where are you?

Oh!... me?... Ahhem!...

Well, I wasn't originally thinking petcock,... but,..  The symptoms can be so bizarre, you really never know until you check it...
So,... do check it, it's easy and quick, and definitive...

How to check your petcock,...

It does sound like something has caused you to be rich, but only intermittently...  Petcock problems do start out intermittent, and grow increasingly over time...
So, do the test, and either you'll fix it, or be able to rule it out before messing up a lot of other things in a futile hunt...
Best of luck, and get back to us with the results... Wink...  

Whatever it is,.. I don't think it's related to the bump in the road...
If not the petcock,.. I'd think it more likely related to the fuel stop...
Dirty gas,... diesel in the tank,... or clogged tank vent,... but,.. they would make your engine starve, and I think you're getting too much fuel... So,...
Test that petcock!... That beasty has sent hundreds here around the bend before they figured it out...(including me)...

Serowbot,...
The Petcock Nazi....  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jbraunstein
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/11/11 at 12:57:57

Thanks everyone for your input.

After adjusting the idle screw I've been riding fine for the past couple of days.  Sometimes the idle rpms seem to to be slower or faster for no apparent reason, but the engine isn't stalling anymore.  I am still having an issue with the choke though, whenever its fully engaged the rpms drop noticeably and engine really starts to sputter and sounds close to giving out...not sure if this is normal...

Anyway, thanks for your help.  

P.S.  has anyone had any success raising the front of the seat a couple inches using spacers and longer bolts?  I'm 6' 1" and would like some more legroom by being able to sit back a little farther without sliding back toward the tank.

P.P.S is there a resource to learn how to adjust the range of motion for the rear brake pedal?  it's sitting a little too tall.

Thanks Cool

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #8 - 05/11/11 at 13:08:00

To answer all your questions, yep!  Wink

Use the search function and don't forget to change the range to all posts.  I also only show one result from each thread, but that is just me.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:17:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hit a pothole and now engine dies at idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.