Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I just bought a 2002 Savage that needs help (Read 114 times)
johnnymac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I just bought a 2002 Savage that needs help
05/07/11 at 15:53:00

Greetings to all from Shawnee OK. I've been riding different bikes for a few years, and I have liked the Suzuki Savage for a long time.  I just got a deal (I think) and brought home a 2002 Savage that needs a little help. It is all there and not torn or dented. I have washed it, and it looks OK but the tank is a little hazy, and could use a good clean up. What would you recommend I use to shine up the tank? No damage other than swirls and haze to the paint, and major crud on the alloy and chrome.

The chrome has a few pits and minor rust on it, and the headlight will have to be painted. It starts and runs, but could use fresh gas and a spark plug. There is a little oil on the fins, and I am thinking I will have to go in there and change the rubber plug in the head.

Thanks to all, nice to see a Savage forum.
John

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: I just bought a 2002 Savage that needs help
Reply #1 - 05/07/11 at 16:31:26

You can get a clay bar in most auto stores thats good for that,There  are different brands of it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/07/11 at 16:41:45

Shawnee? I went to school in Tecumseh for almost a year... almost,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 05/07/11 at 18:17:03

Clay bar will remove any garbage on the paint.  But if the paint is shot, you will need rubbing compound and actually cut off the top layer.  Then wax it well.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 05/07/11 at 18:43:26

Got this tip from Fish in our "Daily Tips" thread. Got to try it this weekend and was amazed with the results. Minor rust and pitting on metal/chrome is a breeze to clean with a piece of aluminum foil and some soapy water.  Fold up the foil, dip it in soapy water and rub.  No scratches, no swirl marks, nothing!  I followed it up with some polish, and it worked much better than any bottled polishes/cleaners that I've tried.  Give it a shot!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/07/11 at 19:11:52

The engine and forks have a clearcoat on them,.. just so you know...
... If there's tarnish on the aluminum, it's under the clear... Bummer!...
Just painting over it, with a heat paint is easiest... Dull gloss black from the auto parts store looks fairly close to stock later model black engines...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 05/08/11 at 19:36:20

houstonbofh wrote on 05/07/11 at 18:17:03:
Clay bar will remove any garbage on the paint.  But if the paint is shot, you will need rubbing compound and actually cut off the top layer.  Then wax it well.

My bike is a used '01 so I don't know what paint came on yours. Mine has clearcoat, but it was wrecked. I would not use rubbing compound on clear coat, but rather wash it with a good auto wash and a good cleaner/wax like Mequires. They also make a great spray detailer for motorcycles. Spray on use a cotton rag to buff up easily.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:25:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I just bought a 2002 Savage that needs help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.