Running out of gas (Read 245 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Running out of gas
Reply #15 - 05/08/11 at 06:19:01

Likewise,.......if I'm in town at slower speeds and have ridden anywhere near 75 miles, I'll hit res, needed or not. Even tho my bike usually gives me warning,  I just hate having to switch at low speeds.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/08/11 at 06:21:17

I think it really depends on several factors. How the bike is tuned and what kind of gas you are using and so on. In my particuliar case I can sense it feeling sluggish as Howitzer said. On the highway I may get a pop out of the exhaust in town it will run rough then fine then rough again and so on depending on the cornering and getting the fuel to the petcock. You have to learn to get in tune with your bike so will know when she is running out of fuel. You can also watch the odometer as well.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #17 - 05/08/11 at 08:00:36

mine usually warns me enuf i get to reserve b4 havin to pull over.. right turns help too!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 05/08/11 at 09:19:19

I get warnings on mine about 1/2 mile before it would be out and can drive that 1/2 mile before putting on reserve,It only happened once and thats the way it was.Slight misfire is the warning.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #19 - 05/08/11 at 11:22:35

Just had this happen this morning.  darn the designers who didn't believe in a trip meter on a bike with less than 3 gallons of fuel!  Even my GZ250 had one!  No warning, just quit running.  Switched to reserve and pumped 2.2 gallons at the nearest gas station.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/08/11 at 18:57:49

It isn't much, but you oughtta get a few seconds warning of different running. do it enough and you will know the signs.  run out a few more times and it will be second nature.......

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 05/08/11 at 19:12:52

HJH wrote on 05/08/11 at 11:22:35:
Just had this happen this morning.  darn the designers who didn't believe in a trip meter on a bike with less than 3 gallons of fuel!  Even my GZ250 had one!  No warning, just quit running.  Switched to reserve and pumped 2.2 gallons at the nearest gas station.

Hadn't checked my mpg for a while, and hadn't run close to 100 miles before filling up either, but today I did.  I was right at 100 and getting nervous, but when we stopped, it only held 1.7 gallons and hubby filled it up into the neck.  (thank goodness it didn't piss all over me!)  So I'm getting great gas mileage.

But here's my latest trip meter.  Double-sticky velcro mounted so I can pull it off or just roll the dials.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:17:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running out of gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.