Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17411 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA Build -- new info, front brake rou
Reply #90 - 07/16/11 at 15:19:42

BuckRYCA wrote on 07/16/11 at 15:07:30:

Sure looks tidy!  I suppose I could just get a piece of coat hanger wire and bend it to the approximate shape of the brake line, then measure that.  I'd need to check the length at full lock on each side, hmm?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #91 - 07/16/11 at 19:22:39

I used a piece of vinyl tubing to get a length, checking at full lock on each side, then added 1".

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #92 - 07/16/11 at 20:34:08

Good idea.

IP Logged
Seroj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #93 - 07/17/11 at 15:45:09

I went with a 30" line and added a straight fitting on each end, so total lenght was probably about 33"

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #94 - 07/17/11 at 17:44:07

BuckRYCA wrote on 07/16/11 at 19:22:39:
I used a piece of vinyl tubing to get a length, checking at full lock on each side, then added 1".

If the brake line isn't attached to the frame anywhere, the lock-to-lock doesn't matter. The master cylinder, forks and caliper all move together. However, we do need to check what happens under compression and full rebound.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #95 - 07/19/11 at 06:18:38

MotoBuddha wrote on 07/17/11 at 17:44:07:
If the brake line isn't attached to the frame anywhere, the lock-to-lock doesn't matter. The master cylinder, forks and caliper all move together. However, we do need to check what happens under compression and full rebound.

That generates a thought,... what if there were a solid line from the brake reservoir to the left side of the fork, halfway down?  Then run a short flexible line from that point to the caliper to account for suspension movement.  

The advantages would be: very tidy looking upper area on the forks (assuming the brake line was bent very accurately), lighter weight maybe, no rubbing anywhere, uniqueness, crisp brake action since the all-metal part of the line would not expand at all under pressure.

« Last Edit: 07/19/11 at 07:32:42 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #96 - 07/19/11 at 07:56:12

Gyrobob wrote on 07/19/11 at 06:18:38:

That generates a thought,... what if there were a solid line from the brake reservoir to the left side of the fork, halfway down?  Then run a short flexible line from that point to the caliper to account for suspension movement.  

The advantages would be: very tidy looking upper area on the forks (assuming the brake line was bent very accurately), lighter weight maybe, no rubbing anywhere, uniqueness, crisp brake action since the all-metal part of the line would not expand at all under pressure.

It will work fine, but put in a couple of small coils near the m/c fitting(I wrap the tubing aroung a socket) to absorb vibration or it may crack. Shocked Sad I found out the hard way with metal fuel lines on a racecar. Huh

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #97 - 07/19/11 at 08:13:12

I've seen bikes set up like that before. Old R-series BMWs come to mind. Or was it the other way around, with a solid line from the caliper to the top of the slider?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA Build -- new info 31 Jul -- wiring
Reply #98 - 07/31/11 at 11:56:54

Just extended the wiring bundles that go from the ignition switch to the harness plug.  They are now 24" longer.  There's a new thread in the tech section on a tidy way to do this:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1312137269

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #99 - 07/31/11 at 12:13:08

MotoBuddha wrote on 07/19/11 at 08:13:12:

I've seen bikes set up like that before. Old R-series BMWs come to mind. Or was it the other way around, with a solid line from the caliper to the top of the slider?

How about a solid line from the caliper to the top of the slider, connected to a looped flexible stainless line, connected to a solid line to the clutch lever?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #100 - 07/31/11 at 12:24:30

Sure, that would work. It's just a lot of work -- which is sometimes worth it to have something unique. You're creating two more joints that need to not leak. I suppose the connections they use in automotive applications would work.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #101 - 07/31/11 at 12:34:22

MotoBuddha wrote on 07/31/11 at 12:24:30:
Sure, that would work. It's just a lot of work -- which is sometimes worth it to have something unique. You're creating two more joints that need to not leak. I suppose the connections they use in automotive applications would work.

Yes, yes, yes.  It does violate the KISS principle.  I also agree it ends up to be a trade off like everything else in life -- balancing the cool factor against simplicity/cost/reliability/etc.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #102 - 08/01/11 at 19:08:44

While experimenting with the bolts for the instruments (thinking the chunky-looking allen head bolts were too,.. well,… chunky-looking), I was sanding off the heads of the carraige bolts to remove the printing, and noticed an unusual appearance left on the sanded surface.  What kinds of comments might you folks have about how this looks?

Here’s the plan:

Here are some pics,...

Here are the heads after sanding on a belt sander:

One bolt head and one bolt with the screwdriver slot at the other end:

Two views of the bolts in place:

The bottoms of the bolts might have acorn nuts to tidy up the tacky-looking slot.

« Last Edit: 12/30/23 at 16:46:56 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #103 - 08/02/11 at 05:54:04

sbaugz wrote on 07/14/11 at 05:16:49:
Did you try fitting your tank on yet? I had to buy a smaller horn because the tank would not fit up against the stock horn.

ooops

I wish someone (like you,.. or RYCA) would have mentioned that sooner.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA Build, new info, instrument bolt h
Reply #104 - 08/16/11 at 20:18:18

This info was also in the other thread about EMGO mufflers.

I just had a look at the insides of our mufflers,.. I am pret' near flabbergasted they would use such inadequate packing.  

The fiberglass in there looks like it'll be about as effective and durable as toilet paper.

I'll be checking out some sources for packing material the guys in the EMGO thread mentioned.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 05:59:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.