Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17409 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA build May 2013 - jacking board
Reply #345 - 08/23/13 at 12:05:02

A few folks lately have asked about the cheapo board I made to help stabilize the bike while on a motorcycle jack.

Here's the jack I bought for the project,.. see reply #6.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902  

See reply #325 here (in the Double RYCA Build thread as well) for pics of the board in use.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/325

Here's a pic of the board with dimensions.

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 06:23:35 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #346 - 08/23/13 at 13:04:42

Can you take a picture of it on the jack and position the jack the way you would be jacking up the motorcycle?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #347 - 08/23/13 at 13:15:50

PhantomII wrote on 08/23/13 at 13:04:42:
Can you take a picture of it on the jack and position the jack the way you would be jacking up the motorcycle?

Just back up a page on this thread....and you can see it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #348 - 08/23/13 at 17:27:26

PhantomII wrote on 08/23/13 at 13:04:42:

Did you see the suggestion to go to reply #325 in this thread?  If so, and those pics aren't enough, just tell me what you want and I'll take some more pics.

See reply #325 here (in the Double RYCA Build thread as well) for pics of the board in use.

« Last Edit: 08/23/13 at 19:02:52 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #349 - 08/23/13 at 17:48:44

I have been taking this bike out on rides about an hour long once or twice a week.  I fire up the Garmin Base Camp software, plot out a twisty route about 25 or 30 miles long, load it into the GPS, and head out,... just following what Diedre tells me.  (I call her Diedre because I changed the voice in the Garmin 765t to British Female.)

This bike is loads and loads of fun.  Just listening to that one piston going up and down and sensing each and every blat as it comes out the inadequate emgo muffler,... each and every honk as it inhales through the K&N is just plain fun.

This bike has changed my attitude about something pretty basic.  
-- I used to think horsepower was everything.  That is one of the reasons I have an FJR1300,.. it does everything pretty well, but it has a nuclear rush when you twist the throttle.  Only a few bikes will out accelerate it, and I never see any of those.  
-- My previous attitude was that anything with less horsepower would be boring.  Well, this RYCA bike has maybe 1/4 the horsepower of the KING KONG FJR, and can only go about 1/2 as fast,.. but for just getting out on country roads, chillin', blatting along at sporty but still comfortable speeds, the RYCA bike is really enjoyable.

I am considering building another single-cylinder café bike.

IP Logged
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #350 - 08/23/13 at 19:22:48

I always enjoy your posts.  I'm still down in south Ga and still have that RYCE kit in the boxes and a 04 Savage to put the stuff on.  You sure have put some great tips and thoughts on the list.  I saw that RYCA from Mich on FB tonight that RYCA posted from the Savage web site.  That build is superb.  I will someday start this one. I guess

Randy

IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Re: Double RYCA build May 2013 - tire rub again
Reply #351 - 08/24/13 at 04:59:42

Gyrobob wrote on 08/23/13 at 12:05:02:
A few folks lately have asked about the cheapo board I made to help stabilize the bike while on a motorcycle jack.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%...

I want something like this to work on my bike this winter. Is there anything RYCA specific besides the compression depression marked? What is that on the left side at the 2 inch mark?

Thanks!

1999 LS650 Dyna muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslavy
  IP Logged
NorCalRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF, California
Reply #352 - 08/24/13 at 12:40:35

Gyrobob,

This is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to put in all the dimensions. Very much appreciated.

I have the same jack and will make the board to make it easier to work on.

Here's the jack I bought for the project,.. see reply #6.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902  http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%...

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%...

1999, Black, Raptor petcock, K&N air filter, otherwise stock. 5,800 miles.
  IP Logged
doubloshoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Double RYCA Build
Reply #353 - 09/05/13 at 22:27:17

Gyrobob wrote on 04/13/12 at 05:51:17:

Hello I also removed the decompression selenoid for the RR-1 bobber build. In this picture you jumped the connection and my question is whether that's necessary or just a convenience. I would like to just cut the connector and solder the wires together.

And yes I have no electrical knowledge or mechanical knowledge for that matter so this might be a stupid (novice) question.

I've found this thread incredibly helpful in my build attempt, so thank you.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #354 - 09/05/13 at 23:25:05

Gyrobob wrote on 08/23/13 at 17:48:44:
This bike has changed my attitude about something pretty basic.  
-- I used to think horsepower was everything.

I think we have reached the point,... even passed it... where HP is anything to aspire to...
It's just there... you can easily buy, way more than you can use...
You can easily buy a bike today that you will spend all your time reining in, rather than whipping...
It's twice as frightening, but only half the fun...
There is something about getting the most from a machine... that having too much just doesn't satisfy...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #355 - 09/06/13 at 03:58:09

doubloshoe wrote on 09/05/13 at 22:27:17:
Gyrobob wrote on 04/13/12 at 05:51:17:

Hello I also removed the decompression selenoid for the RR-1 bobber build. In this picture you jumped the connection and my question is whether that's necessary or just a convenience. I would like to just cut the connector and solder the wires together.

And yes I have no electrical knowledge or mechanical knowledge for that matter so this might be a stupid (novice) question.

I've found this thread incredibly helpful in my build attempt, so thank you.

The only reason I used a jumper was so that I could put that part of the wiring back to original config if I wanted, and\or have that connector available as a source for voltage if screwing around with the electrical system some more became necessary.  I doubt that would happen, but that's just the way I did it.  Cutting the connector off and using a proper crimp connector will work just fine.  Sometimes I solder instead, but the most reliable connection is crimping, assuming you have the correct tool, and are using aero or marine quality terminals.  Walmart connectors not so much.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #356 - 09/06/13 at 04:24:03

Toroso wrote on 08/24/13 at 04:59:42:

I want something like this to work on my bike this winter. Is there anything RYCA specific besides the compression depression marked? What is that on the left side at the 2 inch mark?

Thanks!

I think some of the cuts on the left have something to do with the RYCA mount for the rearsets.  I don't have the bike near me now,.. I can check on this later.

The item at the 2" mark is a loaded magazine for a Kel-tec PF-9.  I needed a weight to hold down the measuring tape that kept wanting to sproing up and get out of focus, so I popped the magazine out of the pocket gun to hold it down.

« Last Edit: 09/06/13 at 20:13:23 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
doubloshoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #357 - 09/07/13 at 14:42:59

Thanks Ill be chopping off the connector.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA Build -- 2-part paint required
Reply #358 - 09/13/13 at 06:08:50

Gyrobob wrote on 06/20/11 at 16:48:21:
We are doing our own painting.  Corvette colors.  Jud's is dark metallic blue, mine is dark bowling green metallic.  They look almost black until some sort of bright light is on it.

Neither of us have done any real painting aside from aircraft painting while working on A&P certificates, (forty years ago for me).  We're using Dupli-color because it is so easy and cheap.  Just get the surface smooth,... which was no small task on the RYCA tanks.  Then prime with scratch-fill sandable primer,.. maybe three coats with a light wetsand of 400 grit in between.  Then a few color coats with light wetsand, followed by a few coats of clear.  Wet sand with 2000 grit for a bit, then after some rubbing compound and some polishing compound it looks remarkably good.

The whole cost for two bikes will be less than $100.

UPDATE September 2012:
-- Less than $100,.. dream on.
-- Duplicolor clear disintegrates when gas hits it.  Use Duplicolor Engine Paint Clear Gloss instead.  After it cures for a couple of weeks, is rubbed out, and waxed, it can take a brief sprinkle of gas just barely.  If the surface gets soaked with gas, you'll have to let it dry for a day or two, then rub it out.  Apparently the only way to get a gas-proof surface is to use two-part automotive paint that has to be mixed and sprayed on within an hour or two.

UPDATE September 2013:
-- Less than $100,.. dream on. (still true)
-- Duplicolor clear disintegrates when gas hits it.  Use Duplicolor Engine Paint Clear Gloss instead. There aren't any single ingredient paints that can handle even a brief gas spill.

"Apparently the only way to get a gas-proof surface is to use two-part automotive paint that has to be mixed and sprayed on within an hour or two."  Still true.

I'll be finding someway to clear coat this stuff with gas proof paint.  Either Spraymax 2k or have a real paintshop put on a proper clear coat.

« Last Edit: 09/14/13 at 07:05:26 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Re: Double RYCA build Sep 2013 paint
Reply #359 - 05/29/14 at 18:17:05

Bob,
Are these the lights you bought?
http://www.joeflorida.com/4-led-pods-5-pack/
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 05:48:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.