Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17411 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Double RYCA build 7 Dec 2012 - train light
Reply #315 - 12/08/12 at 02:46:14

Well, you know what THEY say; if you don't have fresh wounds in the healing process then you are not wrenching enough.   Cheesy

IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #316 - 12/08/12 at 10:16:19

What are your plans for mounting the train light?  I'm doing the same project and looking for good ideas to steal!  Cheesy

Terry

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #317 - 01/12/13 at 07:42:30

T2 wrote on 12/08/12 at 10:16:19:
What are your plans for mounting the train light?  I'm doing the same project and looking for good ideas to steal!  Cheesy

Terry

I'm either going to use these:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

or cobble up something of my own.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #318 - 01/12/13 at 10:30:28

I like those - Dime City seemed to have several possible solutions.  Thanks for the input.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: Double RYCA Build -- added stuff about wheels
Reply #319 - 01/12/13 at 11:56:26

Gyrobob wrote on 05/20/11 at 06:16:05:
The tires arrived 23 March.  Coincidentally, Jud's Firestone Deluxe Champions (ordered from Coker Tire) arrived at his house the same day Bob's Avon Speedmasters (ordered from Dennis Kirk) arrived at his.

Jud likes the "personality" of the vintage Deluxe Champions.  The prototype CS-1 (Casey’s bike)  used these tires.

Bob is using the Avon Speedmasters because his first ever new bike was a 1965 Norton Atlas that came with those tires.  It's just a sentimental thing, and he thinks they look cool in a period-correct kind of way.  In the mid-60's Avon Speedmasters were a big deal.

The tires as delivered from Dennis Kirk.  The fat one is for an FJR-1300,.. Bob's daily driver.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%...

The amount of time to get from taking the front tire/wheel off the LS650s to the pic below is maybe ten hours per tire/wheel.  We had no idea it would be so involved.  Getting the old tires off was easy,.. we have the tools.  Getting over the shock of seeing how rusty the wheels were and getting dizzy from how out of round they were took a while.  Then there was derusting.  Then there was clearcoating (for rust prevention) the rims.  Then there was truing.  Then there was ordering rim strips.  

Then there was mounting the tires. Here’s a technique we used to minimize the balancing that might be required later:
 - Mount the tire/tube to the rim
 - Put the tire/wheel on an axle mounted in a vise or on a wheel balancer.
 - Spin the wheel and observe where and how rapidly it comes to rest.  Mark that spot.
 - Pop the tire loose from the wheel and rotate it 90 degrees relative to the wheel/tube.
 - Remount the tire.
 - Spin it again and observe where and how rapidly it comes to rest.  Mark that spot and compare it to the first mark.
Keep this up (moving the tire around relative to the wheel/tube) until you get the tire/tube/wheel assembly to come to rest as slowly as possible. At that point you have minimized the overall imbalance.  If you are patient and lucky, you might get the imbalances to all cancel out just right so no balancing (ugly looking wheelweights) will be necessary later.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%...

That fat one will fit my Savage  Smiley

003_014.jpg
  IP Logged
Fipronil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Double RYCA build Jan 2012
Reply #320 - 01/15/13 at 04:39:54

Hey Gyrobob.  I like your LED brake light supplements that you mentioned.  What wires did you plug them into?  I'm almost finished putting mine together, but would like to add a little visibility.  I ordered some of the lights from FloridaJoe.  Thanks!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #321 - 02/25/13 at 05:54:58

The bike still doesn't go very fast.  The 650s I rode in the 1960s didn't feel as torquey, but they would usually do the ton.  Also, the handling is not comforting.

I changed the jets back to stock yesterday.  I have been using RYCA-supplied richer jets up until now.  
-- It did 84 mph on the GPS with me sitting up but in the somewhat leaning forward posture demanded by the RYCA clip-ons.  That's 2 mph faster than before, but it was a lot colder today, so maybe that "improvement" is not valid.
-- I have a lot of drag, I'm sure, because I have the sitting height of a 6'5" person.

The tires are 32 psi f & r, Avon Speedmaster 19" front and 18" rear.
-- I scare myself sometimes when leaning the thing over at 60+ mph.  It doesn't do a tank slapper, it just sort of weaves in and out about twice per second.  
-- Casey says a fork brace cured his bike of that situation.  
-- I'm ordering a TKAT brace.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #322 - 02/25/13 at 06:08:18

Fipronil wrote on 01/15/13 at 04:39:54:
Hey Gyrobob.  I like your LED brake light supplements that you mentioned.  What wires did you plug them into?  I'm almost finished putting mine together, but would like to add a little visibility.  I ordered some of the lights from FloridaJoe.  Thanks!

I plugged them into the wire that powers the brake light.  Apparently there is some logic circuitry in the RYCA-supplied tail light because when I first hooked them up, the lights were all screwed up.  I ended up having to put a diode in each wire to the added LED brake lights so that electricity could only flow to them, but without the circuitry seeing that additional voltage path or some such.  The diodes were cheapy little things I bought at Radio Shack.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #323 - 03/29/13 at 06:32:00

Guess what this is?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #324 - 03/29/13 at 08:18:23

I'm gonna guess it is a board that allows you to jack the bike up squarely.....so it is stable on your motorcycle jack.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #325 - 03/29/13 at 09:49:42

Dave wrote on 03/29/13 at 08:18:23:
I'm gonna guess it is a board that allows you to jack the bike up squarely.....so it is stable on your motorcycle jack.

You win.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #326 - 03/29/13 at 14:12:12

That looks great.

Quick.....Head down to the Patent Office! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #327 - 03/29/13 at 19:30:47

I shipped my rear wheel on UPS to RYCA motors today to have them respoke it.  $58 for shipping.  Sheeesh.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #328 - 03/29/13 at 20:08:07

Yeah, shipping is getting stupid expensive!!!!

Just picked up a 3 piece set of Mustang seats for Kens' 950 & shipping from Utah to Texas was $40. Got the guy to $365 shipped for about $700 seats that were 5 months old. Grin

Podium membership to BikeBandit expires 4-27, guess I'll do that again because it probably saved me a couple hundred $$$$ this year in shipping with all the stuff I order for myself & customers. Smiley

Just got my wife & daughter each a new EXO100 helmet in the purple Lily pattern. They had a closeout in their size for $12.95 each!!!  Wtih the $1.96 in BanditBucks I had, that was $23.94 for 2 helmets normally $129.95 each, & free shipping. They are 2 happy ladies now! Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA build Mar 2013
Reply #329 - 04/17/13 at 18:27:42

Just got an email today from Ryan at RYCA.  The wheel is on its way back!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 01:30:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.