Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Am I forgetting anything? (Read 209 times)
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Am I forgetting anything?
05/02/11 at 22:26:03

My bike smokes at start-up and when I pull to a light I can smell oil burning. So with that in mind I bought rings and valve seals plus a head gasket, cylinder gasket, cam tensioner, clutch cover gasket, seal plug, crank bolt cover and a couple different types of rtv. I also bought a gasket making kit so I may be able to make a head cover gasket instead of using rtv. Is there anything I'm overlooking or anything I should do while I have everything apart?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Am I forgetting anything?
Reply #1 - 05/02/11 at 22:34:00

You bought a tensioner, did you buy a chain?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/03/11 at 03:45:30

& soak that chain in oil before the install..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/03/11 at 04:51:04

no chain the bike supposedly only has 5k on it now. The tensioner wasn't falling out last time I was in there at 4k. I was planning on just adding some material to the end of it and drilling a new hole.

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #4 - 05/04/11 at 07:21:27

Not 100% sure but I don't think you should be using a gasket for your head cover. Use rtv. Cam journals are milled out and it needs to be tighter than what a gasket will let you go.

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #5 - 05/04/11 at 11:22:38

sounds like my last shopping list, side cover gaskets, cylinder base gasket, rings and valve seals.... mine is smoking at startup too... just waiting on some crappy weather to pull the engine and get to work on it!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/05/11 at 04:22:36

LS-Rich wrote on 05/04/11 at 07:21:27:
Not 100% sure but I don't think you should be using a gasket for your head cover. Use rtv. Cam journals are milled out and it needs to be tighter than what a gasket will let you go.

I overlooked that part.. absolutely,, No Gasket up there & be really careful where the Goop goes. The manual calls for a particular kinda gasket seal goo, but I cant name it right now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/05/11 at 04:50:13

I believe it was 3 bond that the manual calls for. I know that you need to have the rtv or 3 bond right up against the cam bearing but I think for the rest a gasket will be fine. I was planning on coating the entire gasket with the gray rtv before installing it too. I figure it can't hurt to try and if it doesn't work then fixing it is pretty simple anyhow.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/05/11 at 05:05:50

Yea, 3 bond,, thats it..

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #9 - 05/05/11 at 08:05:11

Russ130 wrote on 05/05/11 at 04:50:13:
I believe it was 3 bond that the manual calls for. I know that you need to have the rtv or 3 bond right up against the cam bearing but I think for the rest a gasket will be fine. I was planning on coating the entire gasket with the gray rtv before installing it too. I figure it can't hurt to try and if it doesn't work then fixing it is pretty simple anyhow.

Seriously. No gasket. The whole head cover needs to sit as close as possible. Putting a gasket anywhere on the cover will hold the cover up too high for the cam to seat properly.

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/06/11 at 05:36:45

OK gotcha that certainly explains why the factory didn't use a gasket then. I did think of something else though, oil filter and oil.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:14:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I forgetting anything?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.