Lost keys (Read 201 times)
CarlMuskel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Lost keys
05/02/11 at 09:30:30

Hi all fellow Savage lovers, really cool forum.

My first post here, kinda wanna have opinions from you guys.

I found a 1995 Savage here in Sweden at a very decent price, the price is low because the girl who sell the bike has lost the keys.

How much trouble is it to get new keys or is it possible to change the locks or something?

Bests Carl

IP Logged
topgunz1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Baton Rouge, LA
Re: Lost keys
Reply #1 - 05/02/11 at 10:51:39

I've seen complete locksets on eBay, but a competent locksmith should be able to make a key.

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/02/11 at 10:53:34

Take the key switch off and use a toggle switch.....just hide it somewhere. Out of the 6 bikes I own, only one has a key.....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/02/11 at 11:00:09

That'll work 'till he needs gas... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/02/11 at 11:17:51

remove the key switch. Underneath it there's probably a little black sticker that has a few numbers and letters punched (lightly) into it. Thats the key code. If you can read it you can take the number to any locksmith and they can make a perfect match based on the number. Cost me $10. If you can do that then you can start looking into other options.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/02/11 at 11:20:26

After the prerequisite title check to make sure the girl is not selling the boy friends bike while he's away...

Take it to a locksmith

or remove the ignition and take it to him
Same can be done to the tool box lock, 2 screws on the bottom can be removed.

Also, on the bottom of the ig is a silver panel with a key code stamped on it.  I've ordered from this key code before to get a set of keys.

WWW   IP Logged
2000Savage
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 05/02/11 at 11:34:28

I had the same issue this weekend as i decided to put mine back on the road for the 1st time in 2 1/2 years.  I just popped off the ignition and pulled it apart and removed the pins from the tumbler.  Now it will start with a screwdriver or loose peice of change.  As for the gas cap a flat head screwdriver and a hammer does the trick turn hard to break the pins pull it apart once its off and remove the broken pins so it turns a bit easer and you got yourself a keyless bike.

IP Logged
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/02/11 at 15:49:25

Any ideas for the steering lock key. I got mine without that key and would really like to get it working.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 05/02/11 at 16:55:52

You can't beat a good locksmith. I had copies made for $4 each. Took my daughter's ATV key to Honda dealer who wanted $30. Drove 22 miles out of my way to get one cut for $4 AND friendly service. I guess I'm stubborn, but I don't like being taken. I usually pay a little more for something that is good quality, but not $26 more for a key.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #9 - 05/02/11 at 17:13:51

Pretty much an hardware store can cut you one (as long as they have the blank). I cut keys at work. 1 sided key is 1.25 and a two sided key is 2.50. I don't have any bike key blanks though.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
CarlMuskel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #10 - 05/03/11 at 04:32:01

Thanks for all replies  Smiley

I checked w/a Suzuki dealer here and I´m def not gonna change all the looks, $$$!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 05/03/11 at 18:51:13

I went to my locksmith for a spare set of keys to carry in my tool roll. The lady looked at my fork lock key, got off the computer, and went to a big pile of books muttering to herself about seeing one of these before. She pointed to a pic in this huge book and said, "Here it is. That's a BMW key you have." She made me a key with a different blank for my fork lock. Works fine. And so does the BMW key. You ain't gettin' my bike for $800 bucks. It's 1/10000000000th Bemmer. Cheesy

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #12 - 05/04/11 at 07:31:57

Here's a link to a place that lists both the steering lock and ignition key blanks in case anyone's interested.  A little on the high side but if you can't find the blanks anywhere else I guess it's worth a shot.  

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks4.html

main page

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:29:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lost keys

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!