Send Topic Print
Sav Trike Conversion? (Read 236 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Sav Trike Conversion?
05/01/11 at 14:32:14

I just got a '79 Suzuki GS 850 with all the luggage, fairing and only 20k miles on it for all those long highway miles I seem to be doing. After doing a few of those 4k miles round trips on the 650 thumper my backside decided smoother might be gooder.

Which brings me to my very early speculation stage question on what I might do with the Savage if i don't just make it an around town single seater. How hard would it be to make an axle using the belt drive mechs so I could build a trike with two wheels on the back with the belt drive centered? Would the single belt driving it work out okay do ya think? I'm thinking a kind of trike pick-up deal and think I would like to keep the engine centered for weight distribution. Should I try for limited slip? Or would posi-traction work okay? I know it would be simpler.

Any thoughts on this exploratory mission? It's either this or run for president.

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Sav Trike Conversion?
Reply #1 - 05/01/11 at 14:38:48

I would probably pick up that trike kit as a 1st blush at it.

Or a side car and go phelonius on it.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/01/11 at 16:07:04

Stay away from those kits that add two wheels but keep your drive wheel...
Scariest ride you'll ever take... Huh...

If I were doing it,... I'd be looking for a quad front end...  Better braking and more stable... add a bin in front for hauling stuff...
...or just add a trailer and hitch and stay with two wheels...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #3 - 05/01/11 at 17:36:23

Trinity Trikes makes a true trike kit for the Savage/S40 http://www.thetrinitytrike.com/roadster/savage/index.html I have to agree with Serowbot about the outrigger kits.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/01/11 at 17:38:50

Ride the bike or sell it & get a sports car.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 05/01/11 at 18:07:46

You're missing my point. I would love to have a 650, three wheel, pick-up-camper-something. And yes, I would love one of the two wheel front units but I'm not going to be building and welding up one of those from scratch. Now if somebody's got one laying around for cheap for me to build on . . .

No thoughts at all about getting the 3-wheel conversion kits. That's not what I'm after. It's not that I need three wheels. And I already have a hitch on the Savage, and on the new (to me) bike as well. I'm wanting to do a personality thang here. A small bike-RV-utility vehicle that will turn heads AND be practical too. I saw a prototype drawing of one along the lines of those little three wheeler utility bikes you see all over Asia and Europe.

Come on guys. Dream with me. Be enablers. I mean - I already have the tougher timing chain, an extra belt and several oil filters. And my teeny little social security checks start this month.

Jack

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/01/11 at 19:17:25

Ahh, I get it.. I think,, you need a cool trailer you can use for a camper,,

Id recommend a visit to Illuminatti Guzzisti.

http://illuminatiguzzisti.forumcircle.com/viewforum.php?f=2

some guys there have built some trailers & they go on some trips with them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 05/01/11 at 22:11:23

I am in fact building a camper trailer for the bike for my trip to Miami this summer. But you guys are still too practical. If you google bicycle camper trailer and jump through some links you'll get an idea of what I'm looking at doing. Or what I'm really wanting:

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/keyword/cornelius-comanns.html

I just need an easy two wheel belt (or chain I suppose) drive axle idea to get me started. And then I go from there.

Boys just want to have fun too. So there.

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/01/11 at 22:21:22

easy did you say?

here you go... even your neck of the woods...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-polaris-2x4-quad-rear-end-hubs-W88527-_W0QQ...

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/01/11 at 23:38:58

Jack_650 wrote on 05/01/11 at 22:11:23:
I am in fact building a camper trailer for the bike for my trip to Miami this summer. But you guys are still too practical. If you google bicycle camper trailer and jump through some links you'll get an idea of what I'm looking at doing. Or what I'm really wanting:

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/keyword/cornelius-comanns.html

I just need an easy two wheel belt (or chain I suppose) drive axle idea to get me started. And then I go from there.

Boys just want to have fun too. So there.

Jack

I wonder how many times those have been blown over.
Their design is iconic and I wonder if it's functional.  do they sleep in the overhead?

I would base my design on the pop up trailer campers.
The living area is unoccupied when moving, so collapse it.
Lightweight aluminum/foam sandwich construction.
pull out work centers.  take advantage of the ground below for standing room.  Probably extend the swingarm by a foot.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 05/02/11 at 01:12:58

Maybe the back end of a golf cart, or a riding lawnmower?...
...but, it might be easier to just sell the Savage and buy a three wheeled cart... then mod it from there...

I'd love to see the result, either way...

... or do like me... buy a Geo Metro... it's practically a 4 wheeled bike...
Suzuki designed, 40mpg, 1000cc., 3cyl.... but it's air conditioned... very roomy inside too...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 05/02/11 at 14:08:25

Now you guys are starting to get into the spirit a bit.

I'm not so much wanting the fully enclosed hard body, wind catching design. I was thinking more along the lines of a little flat bed or mini pick-up sort of design with the option of a pop-up typed camper. A little 650 utility/sport vehicle. Perhaps a a little woody stake bed or some such.

Thanks for the idea of the Polaris type vehicle axle. Don't know how long, if ever, that would have taken for that one to come to me. Obvious once it's out there in front of me. However, MI may be up in my area but it's still 500 miles from here as the crow flies. Now that I'm thinking on those lines though, it shouldn't be hard to find something around here. We have been known to get snow from time to time. In fact there were a couple of flakes that hit the windshield today.

On a different note. Oldfeller, you're in western Carolina right? I'll be biking through there sometime around the 20th of June on my way to Miami. My sisters are in the 321 corridor between Gastonia and Hickory. Thought if you were up for a visit you could show me where to get some good bar-b-q. Then you could tell me how I'm going to get a darksider on the back of this GS 850 when this cheap tire that's on here is ready to go.

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/02/11 at 14:22:41

A week later and you'll catch us both at the dragon.

Sorry about the 500 miles, I did a double check after I posted, oops MI not WI.  Must've been doing loops.   Cool

Hmmm... a flat bed, with mission specific modules   Cool
I probably would do solid sides to keep the cargo out of the wheels and something to bolt the trailer fenders to.  Tubing front and rear for good mpg and reduce bug collection.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/02/11 at 15:00:21

Aww heck,, you need a pop up design. Get a car carrier, put a frame & wheels under it, & put a platform on top you can put your one man tent on. Youl have room for a cooler behind the carrier.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 05/02/11 at 22:45:36

There's tons of ideas out there on the net for teeny pop-up campers of various shapes and sizes. Got a pretty cool thing I'm going to put together for my little 40"X48" trailer that will fold out to a 80"X48" sleeping platform (or 26"X 80" with room to sit upright if you're by yourself). It all folds back down to a 40"X48"X16" box that I just anchor to the trailer frame. Total weight will be around 150# empty.

I've got a high school reunion in Miami the weekend of the 24-26 of June. When is The Dragon? I'm going to guess that it falls on that very weekend and I miss it yet again. Although until I get used to all the extra weight and altitude of the GS 850 I'm not sure how much fun I would be having in a lot of turns. The Sav was my first bike ever and it's kinda spoilt me with its sprightly handling capabilities. The GS is about twice as heavy and my feet are flat on the ground when I'm stopped. I can only imagine how much fun it will be to have to pick it up by myself someday. Seems to have pretty good brakes though, despite what I've read.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:26:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sav Trike Conversion?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.