YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bikes done
Reply #15 - 05/02/11 at 13:36:46

Just be aware that fatigue strength will be the viper that bites your a$$.

Welds are rated at 40% as strong as the parent material by my most conservative customers.  And what is the parent material?  That would concern me the most.

btw, your welds are in the best place possible.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 05/03/11 at 07:06:01

Apehangers are NOT dangerous, they just have a steep learning curve. Clubmans and clip-ons however ARE dangerous, they keep your head too low to really see what is going on around you. Great for their intended environment, the racetrack.

One suggestion since it wasn't mentioned, add slugs in the bar joints. I've made many a set of custom apehangers running chunks of 7/8" bars inside 1" base section and contrl sections. The 7/8" self-slugs, just drill a couple holes and rosette weld them prior to running the full bead on the seams.

Pin your apes once you choose your mounting angle. It's simple to do, drill a hole through the riser cap and the bar. Tap it or use a self-threading bolt. Savage risers are junk, they will strip and let the bars move. I've run apes on mine for the last 7 years.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
topgunz1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #17 - 05/03/11 at 08:27:50

My hands go to sleep too easy to want to ride around with them up in the air, plus I imagine a rock or large bug to the armpit would hurt like crazy, even through a jacket.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 05/03/11 at 21:08:39

You don't go any higher than your shoulder height if you want comfort and control.

I have 15" rise on my 98, going to have to drop to 10" rise to be street legal in TN (15" bars + cut down seat = illegal total height). Of course, my turn signals are just decorative (don't work), taiil light is too low/angled wrong, illegal muffler and tail pipe extension, less than securely mounted rear fender, rotten tires... Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ncron1103

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown,ky
Reply #19 - 05/03/11 at 21:48:57

Thanks for the advice. Im going to run some self tapping bolts like you said and see how that works out. Im not one how likes the cromed out trailer queens. Iff its what I like im going to do. I dont do it to make everyone else happy. But I like the advice that some of you are giving. But like ive always been told crome dont get you home.  I like rat bikes been around the all my life and make most of your parts you will get more enjoyment out of them in the long run when you can step back and say yeah I built that. Thats the factor im going for.  Grin

IP Logged
ncron1103

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown,ky
Reply #20 - 05/03/11 at 21:52:00

Hey wd where abouts is rosemark? Im right outside lexington ky.

Oh anyone ever seen the worlds longest chopper? My father in law was the main builder on it check it out sometime if your on google playing around. It was built right here in good ol georgetown,ky

IP Logged
BC-Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/03/11 at 22:47:29

Those aren't Apehangers, These are Apehangers:

IP Logged
ncron1103

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown,ky
Reply #22 - 05/03/11 at 23:44:25

Lol thats an understatement!!!!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 05/04/11 at 05:37:55

Rosemark is on TN 14, southeast of Covington, north of Memphis.

My bike doesn't even look much like a Savage anymore. 15"apes, sidemount 7" Bates/Lucas headlight, Shovelhead FLH rear fender with Panhead stainless rub strips, dirt track tank, 12" glasspack w/39" fishtail extension, cut down leather covered seat, VS800 (Intruder) rear shocks (Savage shocks are on the Intruder, cheap lowering option for my wife, Intruder is hers). And small saddlebags, need somewhere to stach a couple cases of beer... Grin

Lisa's 800 runs 10" mini-apes.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 05/05/11 at 05:17:31

Arent Mini Ape bars named wrong? Shoudnt thy be called Monkey Bars?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #25 - 05/05/11 at 08:55:11

Well Monkeys have a tail though.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 05/05/11 at 22:23:02

12" rise and up are apehangers. 8" and 10" list as mini-apes or mid-high rise chopper bars.

Monkey bars? Clubman's and rear sets, rider looks like a monkey F'n a football... Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #27 - 05/06/11 at 09:04:17

WD wrote on 05/05/11 at 22:23:02:
12" rise and up are apehangers. 8" and 10" list as mini-apes or mid-high rise chopper bars.

Monkey bars? Clubman's and rear sets, rider looks like a monkey F'n a football... Roll Eyes

Grin +1

You're perspective covers both ends of the spectrum that people have been tending to do with these bikes. On one end you have the custom bobbers and choppers who like the mini-apes/apes and on the other end you have the ones converting their bikes to cafe racers with clubmans or clip-ons. It's all a personal preference, and I think I would prefer to kick back and be comfortable rather than hunched over hugging the tank. (But that's just my opinion.)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #28 - 05/06/11 at 10:31:07

they don't look to be an inch in diameter, way to thin.
And there is a reason they call them "Apes"
To me anyway they look rediculous,very unsafe, the handling must be god awfull. Make sure you have medical insurance before you venture out on your beast..

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #29 - 05/06/11 at 11:17:00

Just what exactly what are ape hangers for? Are they suppose to look cool? Why care if maybe 5% of riders think they look cool when 95% think they look odd, silly, or dangerous. Are they suppose to be retro like the bikes in "Easy Rider"? (Peter Fonda stated that bike (Capt. America) was the most uncomfortable, unstable, and hard to handle unsafe bike he ever rode.

Are ape hangers in some anatomically strange way comfortable? They couldn't aid in handling, they couldn't possibly be used on long rides...could they?

No disrespect, I would just like to know the thinking behind this.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:11:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bikes done

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.