Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Missing Oil Filter Spring (Read 117 times)
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Missing Oil Filter Spring
04/29/11 at 09:17:49

Hi All!  I bought my '87 last summer for commuting to work and put maybe 500 miles on it before parking it in the garage for the winter during which I made the mods identified in my signature below.  She fired right up last weekend and I tuned the carb.

I began an oil change and while I was carefully removing the oil filter cover discovered the P.O. (or?) had failed to reinstall the spring with the new(?) K&N oil filter.  Angry

I have one on order, so while waiting I am going to remove the clutch cover and do some inspection (cam tensioner) etc.  Any suggestions on what else I might want to check for due to improper filtered oil?

I am the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner only had it a couple of months and hadn't even transferred the title yet when I bought it.  He had to sell due to medical issues.  The bike just turned 8k miles.... Thanks!

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Missing Oil Filter Spring
Reply #1 - 04/29/11 at 10:14:28

Nuthin' I can think of...  
If it still seems to run good, it must have been getting oil flow...

There should be an o-ring under the filter, against the case, too...

Best luck,.. hope she's okay... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #2 - 04/29/11 at 11:40:43

Thanks!  Me too... she ran okay before winter and tons better after the mods.  I know the oil was circulating before because it developed the infamous plug cap leak which I repaired along with the mods.

O-ring was there... just the thought of unfiltered oil circulating throughout has me concerned.  If I find nothing else, I plan to change the oil again in maybe 200-300 miles to flush any nasties out.

Thanks Again!

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 04/30/11 at 04:41:29

There are many small engines that have no oil filter at all. Even some that used to have them don't anymore, just to save a few bucks in manufacturing costs. It mite mean changing oil more often, but it would be the least of my worries.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/30/11 at 05:31:40

The 4 wheeler, a Yamaha 250, has no oil filter. Its gota a screen, but its not a fine mesh. More of a strainer,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 04/30/11 at 07:28:04

I'm curious now if my '08 Kawi Mule 396 cc thumper has a filter. I was supposed to change the oil at 50 hrs, but I couldn't find the drain plug,......that was a year ago. It has 95 hrs now, so I must get serious about that. But I'd bet it don't have a filter,........it runs in dust and dirt. Now my 4 stroke Merc outboard has a filter, as it runs in nice clean air. Figures !
My (no filter) 4K Onan generator sits in the dusty Quartzsite desert for a month every year,....figures. Like Doctors, the Mfgs don't all go to the same school !  Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 04/30/11 at 20:53:40

Routy, not real familiar with Mules, but I think you have a spin on oil filter located directly under the cylinder jug.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:23:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Missing Oil Filter Spring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.