prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Dropped the Bike
04/27/11 at 06:32:09

Sad story, just not into telling it all.

During a 60 mile round trip, I stopped my bike.  When I got ready to leave, the bike was dead, light was bright, horn would blow, but no starter. After what seemed like a long time, I finally called a buddy with a trailer to come get me.

On the way home, the bike fell over.  Broke the windshield, gas was running out.  Picked the bike up, turned off the gas and went home.  It took two weeks to get a battery, backordered.  I changed the plug, it looked good but since I checked it and it was a couple of years old, while I had it apart, it seemed like the thing to do.  Finally got the battery, still wouldn’t start, turned on the gas and it fired right up.

The windshield was the worst part.  I guess I could have bought a new one, but that was not a real good option.  I had a big piece of Plexiglas, I was going to trace and just cut a new one, but the glass was not as thick as I remembered.  That did not seem like such a good option.

I finally measured, drew, messed and finally just freehanded the curve I needed on top of the windshield and cut it off with my dremel.  If you look close, you can see it is not exactly, the right shape and does not have the right curve.  But it was the best I could do with what I had.  Maybe this will help someone.

On the bright side, the windshield was all that was messed up and I was not on the bike when it fell.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Dropped the Bike
Reply #1 - 04/27/11 at 06:42:23

Glad it turned out ok, and you weren't hurt.

After buying a winshield, and buying a pc of Lexan and cutting out an added bottom portion, I would not buy a  windshield again.

Just purchase and radius the metal (ss or aluminum) and cut out the Lexan. Simple, and inexpensive, and it could be any shap, and all 1 pc.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 04/27/11 at 07:01:54

Thinking,....did you ever find out why the starter wouldn't engage ?

And if gas was running out, I have to assume the OEM petcock was changed out for another ? I still like the vacuum petcock for that reeason.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 04/27/11 at 07:38:27

Looks fine Mike and I'm glad nobody was hurt!  So how's it ride with the newly modified shield?

Nice to see you again too.   Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 04/27/11 at 07:40:49

Routy wrote on 04/27/11 at 07:01:54:
Thinking,....did you ever find out why the starter wouldn't engage ?

And if gas was running out, I have to assume the OEM petcock was changed out for another ? I still like the vacuum petcock for that reeason.

Routy, the battery was dead, is my guess.  We even tried to jump it, but that would not work either.  It would crank (starter turning at speed, but bike would not start).  I did not make that clear.  I took the tank off to check spark and it was there, but . . .  

I have a '97 Honda Fourtrax.  On occasion, it will not start for anything.  The plug looks fine and will spark out of the cylinder, but for some reason will not fire under compression.  (a mechanic used that term).  Someone else said something about the resistor in the plug?  Again, I am not sure what that means. All I know is a new plug makes my ATV go.  I figured it might be the same thing for this.  And, since I had the tank off already.

Yep, raptor petcock.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/27/11 at 09:03:27

prechermike wrote on 04/27/11 at 07:40:49:
I have a '97 Honda Fourtrax.  On occasion, it will not start for anything.  The plug looks fine and will spark out of the cylinder, but for some reason will not fire under compression.  (a mechanic used that term).  Someone else said something about the resistor in the plug?  Again, I am not sure what that means. All I know is a new plug makes my ATV go.  I figured it might be the same thing for this.  And, since I had the tank off already.

Takes more voltage to fire a plug in compressed air.
Sparkplugs or plug wires have resisters in them to reduce RFI.

Check your coil connections. and ground.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/27/11 at 14:17:09

will not fire under compression

Im sure theres a pill for that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 04/27/11 at 20:18:13

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Mike, but good to see that you were resourceful with that windshield. Hope the bike is back to running 100% soon.

FSO
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 04/27/11 at 20:48:52

Mike, sorry to hear of your mishap.
Nice to hear that you were unharmed.
Windshield looks great. You did a very
nice job on it.
I am thankful you were not seriously
injured. Hugs, Smiley kim

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 05/01/11 at 04:40:12

Everything is good.  The bike is back up and running, it rides good with the different windehield, a little more wind, but not too much.   Have been gone, am sitting outside of a closed libaray now using the internet.  Will be glad to get home tonight.

prechermike   IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #10 - 05/01/11 at 05:12:55

Looks like a good job on rebuilding the shield. Happy that there was no more damage.
I had one fall over on the trailer once...better than off the trailer! Tongue
Peace.

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #11 - 05/01/11 at 17:53:03

Driller wrote on 05/01/11 at 05:12:55:
I had one fall over on the trailer once...better than off the trailer! Tongue
Peace.

Ain't that the truth.

prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:33:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dropped the Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.