Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
keep or get rid of? (Read 216 times)
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
keep or get rid of?
04/25/11 at 20:50:27

Here is the long and short of it. We purchased a 97 savage knowing full well that it didnt start for $800.The bike sat for 4 yrs and  has been dropped a couple times but has no damage we can see other than scratches here or there. We put a fresh battery in it and it wouldnt start.so we replaced the spark plug and took out the carb and did a complete rebuild on it. Put it back in and tried it again nothing. along the way we founf out that there was about a teaspoon of oil between the crnk and the filter. We did a quick oil change on it. we ended up putting a little gas in the spark plug area, the bike started up and then went dead. Retried the same thing and it worked again. there is a large build up of oil on the engine on all sides that came with the bike. we are thing blown head gasket? Is it worth it to fix it? In such a quandry right now. Undecided thanks in advance for any guidenance you can give.

kfink@aol.com kfink@aol.com   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: keep or get rid of?
Reply #1 - 04/25/11 at 21:07:48

put petcock on prime,gas flowing?
check fuel line for cracking,tightness
search tech section for petcock

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Reply #2 - 04/25/11 at 21:20:24

new fuel lines and petcock is working fine, I did read all about the petcock and anything other to do with the carburetor.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/25/11 at 22:34:27

oil below the head, same area of the nuts fore and aft, is a leaking head gasket.

oil on top of the spark plug area or behind the header is the head plug leak.

head plug is easy, might take you a day if you're devoted.

2 for the head gasket.

worth fixing if the rest of it is in order.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/25/11 at 23:03:04

If it's starting with a little squirt of gas in the cylinder,... then that's the only way it's getting fuel... so it's a fuel problem.
Fuel problems are no big deal.
Recheck the whole fuel system... tank venting?...
Petcock flowing?... floatbowl filling?... jets and passages clear?... manifold airtight?... Intake valve opening?... then it's running, dangit!...

I think it's fixable for cheap if you want to do it... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 04/26/11 at 08:02:51

If you can chk compression that would help too...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/26/11 at 08:13:35

Okay, youve got yerself a Science Project. You can have a bike out of it, if you do it right. Youll have fun & learn some stuff fixing it up. I saw "We" in the post, IF you guys can get together on the fixin it up part, then how cool would that be? Id go at it, especially if I could get my wife involved.

In my case, I know I couldn't get her involved, but if  you can get the fix-up on it to be a WE thing, then you already have a valuable bike, sitting there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Reply #7 - 04/26/11 at 18:41:56

I would love to have the Science project but he is discouraged and is getting bad juju from the bike. The old owner basically said to keep the bike and that he would give back the $800. and to get it fixed and if it cost less than that that we pay him the diffence. I think i would be a fun job but the man has to make the final decsion.

Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 04/26/11 at 19:12:23

HI- if your guy isn't all that mechanically inclined, you might consider calling allpower or all sports in Granby.....since the Honda shop in Westfield has closed I believe.....maybee chuck $100-$200 of that $800. into having a pro get it running for you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/26/11 at 19:40:34

KristenAnn wrote on 04/26/11 at 18:41:56:
I would love to have the Science project but he is discouraged and is getting bad juju from the bike. The old owner basically said to keep the bike and that he would give back the $800. and to get it fixed and if it cost less than that that we pay him the diffence. I think i would be a fun job but the man has to make the final decsion.

Well,, I hope you try to sway him to do the work. If youre patient & approach the work with a system, keeping the parts orderly, thers little chance of failure solving such minor issues. As long as the cam & rockers & head are okay then its a keeper, even for a novice mechanic.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 04/27/11 at 06:14:00

I say give it a go. This past winter I bought a Savage that didn't run for $500. I had never, ever pulled an engine on anything bigger than a lawnmower but that's what I did. I invested about 150 bucks into it (including some tools I needed) and sold it to my friend for 1500.00.
He's thrilled, I'm thrilled and now I'm looking for another Savage to do the same thing to.
If you go slow, act as if it's a learning process and have the time and space it is a great hobby. Worse case is you're out nothing and will have something you can part out here if you can't get 'er going...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Reply #11 - 04/27/11 at 08:09:01

It is The boyfriends money so i can say to him to keep it but i am trying to convince him. A Free bike basically, seeing that he would give the money and and we get to keep the bike is pretty cool. I know that i would love to learn how to do the work. I told him would be ok even if i broke a nail helping work on it!!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › keep or get rid of?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.