babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Over-oiled?
04/25/11 at 13:28:19

So... I noticed the other day I was a little low on oil.  Ok, a lot low.  So I added almost a quart!  Now I'm afraid I over-filled it.  I still just barely see it in the window while on the side stand, but its way up top of the window standing level.  I'm due for a full change, but I still wonder if I over-filled it.  If I did, can I drain just a little?  And what's the easiest way?  Or just hurry my arse up and do the full change?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Over-oiled?
Reply #1 - 04/25/11 at 13:47:08

1. Don't worry about it, if you're truely over oiled, check the airbox, it gets blown in there.

2. If it still keeps you up at night, open the timing port, put a strip of tape under it or it'll drool down the case, form the tape in a vee and put bucket under it.  Last time I had it top line full, opening the timing port resulted in a leak.  I was surprised cause it don't normally do that as I keep the level to mid way usually.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 04/25/11 at 16:13:03

I checked mine a few days ago just before a 55 mile ride.
It was exactly midway the 2 lines....on the side stand.

I'm tellin you it don't hurt nothin, and I believe will be better in the long run.
If you're worried about it, then I guess you'll have to fix what ain't broke.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/25/11 at 17:09:06

Congratulations BabyHog, you are now a side stander.  

You met the main entrance requirement -- you ran her way down on oil due to "whatever" and now you have put the corrective action in place so even when you do that you still keep enough oil to keep the engine running and happy.

Just run it and look at it periodically until you can't see any oil in the window when on the sidestand.  Then it's time to add a little oil so you do see it peeking over the bottom of the window when on the side stand.

If you use a synthetic, likely you only need to change it once a year if you only have to add some like 2-3 times a year.

When you get like Verslagen, you just add oil whenever you get low and you never need to change it -- you are actually changing the entire amount over once a year anyway.

Me, I still change it once a year still (not that bad on consumption yet).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 04/25/11 at 18:33:56

Thanks guys.  I respect all your opinions, so I feel much better now!  I'll check next time I get out and periodically.

Oh, I found a cool way to check the oil this time.... Hubby had brought home an old bathroom mirror with a little aluminum shelf still attached to the bottom of it.  It was standing there in the garage, so I used it!  Stood the bike up slowly and watched the oil level rise.  Awesome.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:29:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Over-oiled?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.